Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #781
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Since I started RVing in 2010, I've overnighted in LOTS of Walmarts across the country. VERY few had signs posted prohibiting overnight parking. If I see other RVs already parked, I just join them. If NO other RVs / big trucks are parked, then I'll go inside and ask permission. I've NEVER had a problem parking overnight in a Walmart, truck stop, rest area etc (and, I'm sure in six years, I've spent well over 100 nights not in campgrounds). When I park at a Walmart or other business, I ALWAYS buy something. It's NOT hard to drop $100+ restocking at a Walmart! Listen to your "inner voice"; if something / anything is making you uneasy, keep going. If you have a tow vehicle, make sure it's locked and, that nothing of value (GPS, phone, camera, computer etc) is plainly visible. That would be just inviting trouble. Keep a good flashlight and your phone nearby. Know where you are so that, if you have to call for help, you can tell the dispatcher exactly where you are. Remember, it's just overnight parking. Do NOT set up camp! Leave the area as clean (or cleaner) than you found it.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #782
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Walmart, Joliet, IL

A good lesson, a few weeks ago at the Walmart Supercenter, 16241 S Farrell Rd, Lockport, IL 60441

This is listed as RV friendly, yet when I checked with the customer service, I was told overnight parking was not allowed. I requested they check with management as I had found this to be a store listed on web sources as friendly.

So, management stated that the store was not popular with local residents who had complained and resisted the construction of the store before its existence. With this issue, I was told parking was OK, but absolutely no generators or other equipment which might make noise, as these would irritate surrounding neighbors.

What I learned was, if I was declined, to make certain to speak with an actual manager as opposed to one who was an assistant. And to pre check on one of the online sources as to whether local ordinances prohibit overnight parking, thus being able to be more positive with management.

And, purchasing something is important IMO. Often one can have a wonderful meal, prepared by the staff in their kitchens.

Of course, no generators, as this is quite a nuisance for those parked nearby with windows open.

My suspicion is there is good security at Walmart, not always easily identified. But, I park away from the store under one of the main overhead lights.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #783
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I've never found a Walmart that didn't allow parking over night. However there are many communities that don't allow parking overnight at Walmart. Including almost all of Tucson. I find the best resource for places to park is that app Allstay. It shows which Walmarts allow parking and those that don't. Also good at finding other campgrounds. I have found it deficient in pointing out Bureau of land management campgrounds. It costs a few dollars but is well worth it.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #784
2 Rivet Member

The Walmart here in Palm Beach Florida had signs posted indicating no overnight parking, yet there were several trucks and one camper van tucked in for the night. So we went inside and asked and they told us it was fine to park overnight but not to leave our rig unattended.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #785
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
The Wal-Mart at Hilton Head Island doesn't allow overnighting - big surprise. That aside, we prefer Cracker Barrel for overnights. The food is better, parking often quieter than Wal-Mart.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #786
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Our local WM posted signs inn Dec. No overnite truck parking or rvs. Befor I did not see many rvs., maybe 1 or so a month but many big trucks and they were always well away from store and grouped together, not taking up needed spaces I don't no if village said no more or if got dif. mgr. plus local pd never hassled them.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #787
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
WalMart in Deming, NM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Our local WM posted signs inn Dec. No overnite truck parking or rvs. Befor I did not see many rvs., maybe 1 or so a month but many big trucks and they were always well away from store and grouped together, not taking up needed spaces I don't no if village said no more or if got dif. mgr. plus local pd never hassled them.
Just say'n... The WalMart in Deming, NM encourages RV overnighters. We stayed there last month and arrived around 6pm, there were 4 Prevosts and several other class A's. By the time we hit the rack, there were no less than 15 rigs in the parking lot. Security vehicles patrolled all night. No noise. Real cheap. I'll do it again.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #788
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
I stayed at Walmart going from Florida all the way to Seattle last year,
I think that the Walmart's would like you to park there, it is good for their business,
not only did we stay at them, but they had camera security on us and then we always shopped there for all of our supplies, win/win for both of us.
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #789
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Quartzfest Hamfest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
The Wal-Mart at Hilton Head Island doesn't allow overnighting - big surprise. That aside, we prefer Cracker Barrel for overnights. The food is better, parking often quieter than Wal-Mart.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hey Jim!

FYI: Bud Strauss and I will be at Quartzfest next week. Planning on posting the "Wally Byam RV Service Club" Banner on the awning all week.

Are you planning on heading down that way from Baton Rouge? Just ask'n...

Stay safe,

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 AM   #790
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nensihart View Post
I stayed at Walmart going from Florida all the way to Seattle last year,
I think that the Walmart's would like you to park there, it is good for their business,
not only did we stay at them, but they had camera security on us and then we always shopped there for all of our supplies, win/win for both of us.
The security cameras are there to watch the campers, not the customers. Just my opinion.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #791
DW

Bogle Corner , Indiana
I drove for Wal-Mart / Sam's Club dedicated; while there are exceptions to any rule, here are some basics. If in doubt ask, the service desk will be happy to help. In general if there are trucks and TT's on the lot, it's OK to overnight. Be courteous; park as far away from the front door and out of traffic lanes as possible. Some towns have noise ordinances ( no generators ) ; those will be posted otherwise it's OK. Try and be gone no later than 9 am. Leave the place better than you found it. Spend 10 or 15 minutes picking up trash before you leave. Same rules apply to Costco.
DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 AM   #792
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Did not know about Costco. Thanks for the tip.
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #793
3 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
2018 23' International
Auburn , Maine
I know this is an old thread, but there is a APP for that. It's called "ONP Walmart" It lists both places where overnight Parking is banned, and where it's permitted. It's on my iPhone. Don't know if it's available for Android or Windows.

What others have said about asking the manager applies, though. nothing like a little courtesy to smooth the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Howdy......

Can anyone enlighten as to the truth that Wal Marts allow MHs and TTs to park overnight in their parking lots? I overheard someone say this, but as a beginner, I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks.....

Nick Danger, Third Eye
1989 370 LE
especially our Airstream
blog: https://airstreampictures.typepad.com
FilmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #794
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Walmarts are everywhere and have lots of parking space for trailers. Everyone I have stopped at welcomed us. I have the Walmart US map which has the phone number of all of their stores. If we know what town we are staying at we call several days before and ask if trailer parking is OK.
If we do not know where our evening destination will be I know there are Walmarts at most large town exits off major highways. I look in the lot and if I see a trailer I stop and stay there. Have never been denied.
I like Walmart overnighting. Only issue is in the summer where it gets hot. You need a gen set.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #795
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Just stayed at a Parry Sound Walmart. We drove through Toronto in the middle of the night and arrive in Parry Sound at 4:30am . 7 or 8 other RVs in lot. If you know Toronto highway traffic you understand why we drove so early in the morning. Pulling a 30' AS through rush our would be beyond my anxiety threshold. Off to California.
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #796
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Classic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Got into Limon Colo late on a Saturday night. Looked at the Koa there, it was late, and nobody around. $45 to park for the night. Im a hard headed son if a gun, so I just kept driving. Headed towards Colo Springs. We saw a Safeway on the right just as we were getting into town. We noticed four other campers in the lot, so we pulled into a place between two. Noticed two local police cars sitting nearby chatting, so I assumed it would be ok.. Had a great nights sleep. The next morning, I noticed that the other campers, had for sale signs in the windows.. Ha
Oh well, no hassles and no charge.
We stayed in a walmart lot on the way back. In western KS. No probs there either.
Had a great week on Turquoise Lake CG near Leadville Colo.
Reading through the WM posts today. This one by 'Gettinaway' is a Classic !
LOL 'For Sale' signs, Maybe the tow vehicles were still attached, & included ? it was late who would have noticed? LOL

Have a good one!
Old 08-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #797
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
If I remember right two were motor homes. But to be honest, I was more focused on the two police cars. If they were ok with our parking there, I was ok.. They were still there when I turned out the lights. I slept very well that night! Ha

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:11 AM   #798
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Also consider Cabela's stores. http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp They allow RVs to dump their black and grey water tanks and to get fresh water. This is a very nice self-service for $5 alongside the store near where I live. I just used the dumping service yesterday.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #799
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is a guy on facebook tin can tourist page bragging (?) about living in his trailer in a wallyworld parking lot for an extended time while rebuilding it, running generator, etc. People like him are the reason why more and more free overnight parking lot spots are disappearing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #800
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, there are a lot if people on the tin can tourist page who have no idea about rv etiquette. Some want a cheap place to live and are not aware of limitations to this, others just want a doll house to show off, most of which are seldom taken more than a few miles from home. Many don't understand camping, campgrounds, and what is involved. It's a whole different world for them. Thank heavens there are many others that get it on there and those are the ones who stabilize the club and its get togethers. Sorry for the rant.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote