Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #761
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by upszeke View Post
Always ask manager before assuming that you can. Some do and some don't. Also, if someone knocks on your door in the middle of the nite, it might be to rob you. Personally, there's so much crime in Walmart parking lots these days, I wouldn't overnite in one. Truckstop would be better choice, if you can put up with noise.
We have stayed overnight in WalMart parking lots a number of times, all over the country, and I have stayed a half dozen or so times since traveling alone with the dog these past 17 months.

It is unusual, in my experience, but for heavily populated areas, for overnight parking to be prohibited. WalMart gets a great deal of business from RV'ers, and I believe strives to be friendly and accommodating.

I also disagree with the assessment that there is a lot of crime in WalMart parking lots. I believe these instances to be unusual to rare, and, in 8+ years, we/I have never been accosted nor had a frightening experience.

I also live in a community with two WalMart Supercenters, and can't remember the last time there was a robbery in one. These do occasionally occur in grocery store parking lots...all of them.

When there is an incident, it always gets a lot of publicity.....especially here....but you just don't hear about them often, and you could be accosted by a desperate person or lunatic almost anywhere.

WalMart parking lots are generally very well lit and have security cameras, making them safer than some boondocking spots we used before which I don't choose to frequent since traveling by myself.

Maggie
Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #762
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Maggie, there are at least 7 WalMarts in the Va. Beach area. Two - you couldn't pay me to park at - very rough neighborhoods. If you wonder where People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart gets its photos, well...

The others are generally fine. I DO notice that two which used to have specific legal notices for no overnight parking have taken down their signs (perhaps because the economy is getting better and there are fewer homeless people trying to look like regular campers.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #763
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Yep, I never stay anywhere that I can not corral my horse.🐎
Yeh, but it is always a problem getting the horse back onto the back seats of the pickup when we leave. The horse always wants to do the driving and get into the front. Be sure to have diapers for your horse or cover the seats with Visqueen.

In Grand Junction, there's a sign that says no RV parking, but we do see RV's parked there, slides and chairs out. The crime at that Walmart is from people shoplifting—the 2 Walmarts in GJ have someone arrested for shoplifting just about every day.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In the Mesa, AZ area, all the Walmarts have signs no parking over night. Having said that, I pulled in their lot in October of 2012 with the new Airstream 25FB in tow. I went in bought some stuff and asked if I could rest in my car until the RV storage unit opened around 9 am. No issue, I stayed in the driver's seat for a few hours and then went out and took some sunrise photos of the new trailer.

The unique lighting photo in my "images" was taken at the Apache Junction Walmart.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #765
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
This probably will sound pretty grumpy, but....We have only tried "camping" (use the term loosely) at a WalMart parking lot once... and that was because we were just too tired to travel further to the next "regular" campground. Susanville, CA. It was awful. Lights shining in everywhere, (I like it very dark when I sleep) and about 3:00 a.m. the parking lot sweeper came running through! Noisy, dusty, did I say noisy? Couldn't get back to sleep... ugh... I would have happily paid for a "regular" campground if one had been available! Truck stops are much easier to deal with...but with that said part of having a trailer is to "camp"....we can park on asphalt anytime... we truly prefer being in the outdoors and nature.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #766
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, almost all of the Wal-Marts that we stopped at don't allow overnight parking. The one that we did stay at, cost us $80.00 so we didn't save anything there.
I have to ask.. Why did you pay $80? Was it a ticket issued by the local police?
I've never paid that much for a night camping anywhere, let alone a walmart lot..

FYI, we've stayed in Walmart lots several times without problems. We drive until late, sleep, get up and go.. If there are several RVs already parked, it's a bit more reassuring.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 AM   #767
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Walmarts are a last resort for us. Too tired or too late, then any port in the storm. Remember they are parking lots and set up and maintained that way. Difficult for me to complain about something that is free and only available because WM allows it. Make the best of the situation, it is only for one night. If you have to take a longer break during the day for a nap.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #768
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree, avionstream.

Maggie
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #769
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We continue to use Walmarts during our cross-country travel without any problems. It's like any overnight stop, look over the surroundings and if it doesn't feel right, move on. The lights are bright and this is good for security, as are the lightest security cameras. Park away from the grocery section, that's where the cars come and go all night, and away from the trucks who let the engines run all night.

It depends on your camping needs. Walmart is certainly not a camping destination, but it may the nearest, most convenient overnight stop to a site we want to visit in the morning as we move about the country.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #770
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I like the Cracker Barrel Restaurants. Park, sleep, get up and have breakfast, move on.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #771
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Walmart overnight parking

Every one bashes Walmart.....
It is a completely free overnight parking situation! They ask nothing of us except to leave your space clean (they provide trash cans) and provide lights, security patrols in most locations, and high definition security cameras! Many locations have very nice WiFi. Some urban areas are iffy, but that's your responsibility to scope out!
Even if there are signs prohibiting truck parking, I have ALWAYS asked the manager if it was ok.... I have now parked in all of the lower 48 states!
I once had a manager interested in our family road school efforts, and graciously gave me a $50 gift card!

In my opinion, the Walmart giant is great! Across the country is a place to buy reasonable goods and auto services at decent prices. Walmart didn't invent China, they just have the biggest stores. Everything at Walmart can also be bought at Costco, Kmart or target.
Buy a suit, engagement ring, or top shelf items? Not likely, but for the rving person, toilet paper, pizza, and Coca Cola are the same everywhere!

Thanks again Wallyworld, see you again later this week!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #772
1 Rivet Member

Ford F-150 Eco boost. Always in the mountains pulling '14 25ft Serenity FB. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #773
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Perker; with that post, I don't think you are overnighting in a Walmart parking lot.
A different post was titled "what do you tow with?"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #774
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
If you have a smart phone, there's an app that runs on iPhones and/or Androids called ONP Walmart. I think it has just about every Walmart in North America along with a status listing that says whether or not they accommodate over night parking along with a map, user experience, and contact info.

What you'll find is that most stores in metropolitan areas do not allow ONP. Rural and smaller town Walmarts are good bets.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #775
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This thread has got so long that post and posters are repeating themselves. Might be time for a summary and new thread.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #776
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Can someone tell me how to get off this thread?
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #777
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just hit the subscribe/unsubscribe button.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #778
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Thank you
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #779
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm heading South on 65 in a few weeks with my daughters & grandbabies. My sister is coming with her daughter & grandbabies too. We thought about staying at a Walmart along 65 between Birmingham Alabama & Montgomery Alabama. Anyone have any favorites they stay at? I don't want to stay in any dicey neighborhoods & would rather pay to stay at a campground if they're in any way dangerous! Does anyone here have experience at any of the Wally Marts in this area? I don't want to plan on it if it's at all unsafe! Thanks in advance.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #780
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Got into Limon Colo late on a Saturday night. Looked at the Koa there, it was late, and nobody around. $45 to park for the night. Im a hard headed son if a gun, so I just kept driving. Headed towards Colo Springs. We saw a Safeway on the right just as we were getting into town. We noticed four other campers in the lot, so we pulled into a place between two. Noticed two local police cars sitting nearby chatting, so I assumed it would be ok.. Had a great nights sleep. The next morning, I noticed that the other campers, had for sale signs in the windows.. Ha
Oh well, no hassles and no charge.
We stayed in a walmart lot on the way back. In western KS. No probs there either.
Had a great week on Turquoise Lake CG near Leadville Colo.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote