Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #477
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
... Another option when school is not in session - is the acres of parking in public school sites...
School parking lots are not on my list of places to park. Many states and local communities have adopted laws that prohibit various items from being on or even close to school property. Being found on school property with alcohol or a weapon could be a very serious problem.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #478
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by azflycaster
School parking lots are not on my list of places to park. Many states and local communities have adopted laws that prohibit various items from being on or even close to school property. Being found on school property with alcohol or a weapon could be a very serious problem.
Hmmm. We stayed near a school playground in July in Kansas, I think, in a small town off one of those godforsaken stretches of highway out there that go on forever with no place to pull off to spend the night.

Had no problem from anyone, left no trace we were there and were on our way early in the am. School was not in session, of course.

We also spent the night once in Tennessee in the parking lot by a historical center we wanted to visit that was only open on Tuesday and Thursday. We were right downtown, no one gave us any problem.

May depend on what you do when you are there. We also always avoid places that are clearly posted to prevent overnighting.

How would anyone know you had alcohol and/or a gun in your unit? Would school rules/laws apply to an overnight such as this? Would have to be a very inquisitive and desperate-for-action cop, methinks.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #479
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Thought I had posted this before, but it must have been in a different threadů

I haven't tried this myself because I haven't been on a trip long enough to need an overnight stop en route since buying my Airstream. However, I have a coworker who has done it frequently back when he still had a travel trailer. He recommends stopping at a church and using their parking lot. Says he's never once been turned away or asked to move on.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #480
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I started RVing in 2010 and did one 22 day trip. I did not stay in any WalMart lots then. In 2011, I did one long trip ~ four months. On that trek, I stayed in several WM lots without problem. One WM I arrived in near Denver had NO RVs parked when I arrived. I asked at the desk and was told a local ordinance prohibited overnight parking but, a second WM five miles away allowed it. Upon arrival again, no RVs parked. I asked at the desk and mentioned what I was told at the first WM. The manager laughed and told me both stores were in the same town and, there was no such ordinance. That store just didn't want overnight RVs. I was welcomed to stay for the night. In the first WM, I spent zero. In the hospitable WM, I dropped about $50! I've only seen two WMs with signs clearly stating "NO Overnight Parking". One in MD added a "$500 Fine" warning! Last year over two treks, I spent over five months on the road and, more than a few nights in WM parking lots. I have an iPhone. There is an App, "AllStays Camp & RV" for about $5. It has listings of WalMarts that are OK to park and DO NOT park. I've been very happy with that App and would recommend it. As already stated, stay one night only, do NOT use jacks, generators, outside chairs, grills etc. Leave the area cleaner than you found it. Buy something in the host WM. I time it so that I get there 9 PM or later. I shop in the morning and am quickly back on the road. If there are any RVs already there, I just park where they are and settle in for the night. I have seen at least one WM with a sign directing RVers to park in a specific area so, as you pull in, keep your eyes open! Hope this helps; Happy Motoring!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #481
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
There is an app for ONP Walmart. Provides locations that allow over night parking. Get on iTunes.
Larry & Linda Scovotto
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #482
2012 Avenue Suite
2012 Avenue Coach
The Allstays site provides info on this and other stores that allow parking as well as the one's that are said not to. In addition one will find other helpful information.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #483
4 Rivet Member
1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I use Allstays constantly and like it above the rest, however even Allstays makes mistakes. It lists our local Walmart as one that does not allow overnight parking yet there is usually RVs there on a regular bases. So if I were tired and Allstays said no, I would ask the manager.
Also there has been times Allstays showed limited trailer lengths for campgrounds and I pulled right in and found plenty of long parking spots. Even Allstays is not always right.
Why settle for anything less?
1995 34ft Classic Excella 1000
2012 Kings Ranch F-250 FX-4, 6.7 diesel, 6 speed auto trans.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #484
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
As noted in earlier messages, we've found that not all WalMarts allow ONP - we recently found one in AZ near Egar, but the Lowe's next to it did allow ONP. We make it a practice to contact the store manager to coordinate the stay...
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #485
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Allstays relies on input from its users for info. Just like here and anywhere else on the internet, just because it is posted does not make it fact. It is always good to check with the manager before parking for the night. It is just basic courtesy if nothing else.
As far I know all the Wallmarts on the Mississippi Gulf Coast allow over night parking. Just like Allstays this could be incorrect so please check with the managers before setting up for the night.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #486
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I was in Rapid City, SD several days ago. In years past, overnight parking was allowed. There is now a sign posted "NO Overnight Truck ~ RV Parking". I understand a local ordinance was passed. It is propprely listed in the AllStays iPhone App.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #487
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I just got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach. A camping mecca of sorts - two state parks and at least a half dozen huge RV parks in the area.

We spent part of the week at Ocean Lakes and part of the time at the State Park. With check-outs at 11am and check-ins at 3 pm, we ended up parked at the Wal-Mart to kill some time. Lots of other folks appeared to be doing the same thing. Although there were quite a few inconsiderate a-holes, as there always seems to be at the beach - awkwardly parked across many spaces in the center of the lot, slides out, stabilizers down, etc.

I parked along the entrance road (with several others) on the shoulder and went in the store and spent $100.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #488
1 Rivet Member
2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
pagosa springs , Colorado
We did a 27 state 10,000 mi 7mo trip last year and stayed at Wal-Mart about 40-50 nights. 1 place in Florida didn't allow it and 1 in Vermont.
Some years ago in Yuma AZ a security guard told us we could not stay there overnight.

Also I found a couple of books that have info about what type store, good directions for finding it and whether overnight parking is allowed. I found them online but don't remember where. Googled Wal-Mart Atlas I think.
wmd1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #489
2 Rivet Member
Folsom , California
The app cost $2.99 on my iPhone....
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #490
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Why do one suppose so many localities are involved in passing ordinances banning ONP in places like WalMart parking lots?

mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote