Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #661
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Hey guys; look at Bill's post back on the 14th he has $150,000 for A$ and tv. As for the $150.00, Bill has the ORIGINAL sale ticket for his "71" list $ of about $12,000; compare that to today's $. He is the original owner.
mike
WBCCI/AF 27937
Thanks for support Mike. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #662
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The point made earlier about the 10 dollars was not to say people should have to pay - but was a thought experiment to perhaps prove a point. Some people (few if any on this forum I expect) would care if they carged a small fee if convenience was the motivation.

We have never walmart camped but would do it in a pinch

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 AM   #663
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I understood.. I'd pay. We almost always head out west during the hot and humid times here in the Midwest. I'm never sure just exactly how far I'm going to get that first day. Just somewhere past Kansas City. It makes the next day's drive much easier. We just go until I get tired, and call it a day. Pull in, sleep, and go the next day. (Easier without kiddos.) the Walmart thing is just too easy. What could be easier? I'd go for it.
I guess I could be one of the thin skinned folks referred to above. I wasn't really offended, but thought clarification might be in order. Won't change my behavior, but it's a little sad to think I'm being judged as a cheapskate, when I'm just taking taking advantage of a very convenient stop. Oh well, no harm, no foul.
In my opinion, "anyone" that takes the effort to camp (in an AS) vs Holiday Inn, is neither cheap, nor lazy..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #664
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The point made earlier about the 10 dollars was not to say people should have to pay - but was a thought experiment to perhaps prove a point. Some people (few if any on this forum I expect) would care if they carged a small fee if convenience was the motivation.

We have never walmart camped but would do it in a pinch

With our rig, anytime we need to "park" including overnight rest, or shopping, wallyworld is the easiest in and out. This is not "camping" and parking without cost is in fact with cost = shopping, especially when you buy more than expected or needed. :bb
WM tries to provide one stop shopping and where local laws allow parking rv's, it makes a lot of sense to us to use what is available.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #665
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have never overnighted at a Wallyworld. I try to be stopped for the night by mid afternoon. Is it considered bad form to park that early at a Walmart?
I did try to overnight at a truck stop once but could only handle the noise and diesel fumes for an hour. Decided to move on down the road. Cought a couple of hours nap at a state welcome center that officially did not allow overnighting.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #666
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Seen it all? - NOT!

I try to be considerate - so I DO think that if I stay in a business parking lot overnight I ought to spend money there. Occasionally I seem to be the only one who is. On an outing last year I zzzzed at a Cracker Barrel in WV just off of a major interstate. There were 7 other RV's - all moho's. At 6:30 AM I took a quick shower and headed for the restaurant. Four of the moho's had pulled out while I was showering and the rest were warming their engines to flee. The manager seemed surprised to see a lone woman walk in, then noticed my Airstream jacket... and remarked that people who tow Airstreams seem to be a classy bunch. (That is the kind of Airstream snobbery I want to hear more often!)

WalMarts vary a lot. There is one in Norfolk that I don't go to during the day; scary people abound. I'm convinced that most pictures posted on People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart were taken at that store. Another more rural store actually seemed to become a homeless camp during 2008-2010 in the depths of this recession. On the other hand there have been a few where I've been one of two or three Airstreams or an odd Prevost or two.

I'm getting much more selective about pre-planning my stops. The members here who recommend getting into a campground well before dark speak with wisdom. Unless you've been there more than once, pulling into most campgrounds after dark is fraught with peril: narrow curving roads, potholes, posts painted dark green that you thump before you see, and overhanging branches that take out your A/C shroud are just a few.

If a traffic backup or a flat tire, etc., means I'm going to arrive after sunset, I call and change the reservation then find a WalMart or a Cracker Barrel - it's MUCH better than trying to find a random campground at the last minute.

Paula
Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #667
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use Walmart or Cracker Barrel as a break or meal stop on the road. We have a pack of dogs along and seek shade and a place to walk the critters. We always clean up after them and shop or eat there. I feel the RV parking they allow is for customers, not transient folk. I don't unhitch, deploy awnings or anything else in their lots. The dogs are the security system. If it's too hot, the dogs and at least one people stay in the TV with the air on and we do takeout while someone supervises the doggies. It's only fair.

Some Cracker Barrels don't have their own lot and they obviously have no room for over nighters.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #668
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Have people actually unhitched and left there trailers at a Walmart? I cant imagine it would still be there. I would pay, I do not care, as long as safe, dont really need quiet since a fan can take the edge off noise. However, my humble guess is if money was exchanged next up people would demand to know what they got for that $9.95! I also think some expectation of insurance would come into play and Walmart does not need that headache.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #669
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I don't personally know of anyone that would unhitch in such a place. I wouldn't. For that matter, until I get to my destination I generally stay hitched. It's just easier. With a ProPride hitch it's slightly more difficult to swipe the trailer if I have the stinger separated from the AS.

In my mind, for Walmart or Cracker Barrel I'm just passin' through, like Mr. Natural. 😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #670
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
We have stayed in church parking lots, YMCA parking lots, and occasionally in school parking lots (when school's out). Even local businesses with large parking lots! I will identify a town that would be a good stopping point, then look up the information on the internet or call the Chamber of Commerce, then reach out to their respective business offices to ask permission. I have never been turned down. It's easy enough to use Google Maps to see if the parking lot is adequate, and to find the contact information.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #671
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Like Hibby, we have used a variety of overnight stops for the reason of convenience while traveling, not as a camping destination. And like Paula says, it can be better than trying to find and park in your site in a campground after dark. The only difficulty might be the bright parking lights while sleeping, or a semi firing up the diesel in the middle of the night and letting it run. Now and then a local rowdy will demonstrate his loud muffler or music for you.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #672
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Even this pushes the limit

Caught my attention
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	234703  
Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #673
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Caught my attention

Is that a grill they have out and using?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #674
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Our Airstream is used for very long trips that include many overnights while moving from point-A to point-B. I have stayed in many Walmart's and it has nothing to do with being a cheapskate!

(mind you, being one is NOT a bad thing in my mind) - its all about convenience.

If I'm pulling in late and will be gone again by 0700 why the heck would I consider buying a parking place at a camp site. For those who say we should not be doing this, you really don't know anything about travelling on long trips as camp site offices are closed early and open late. So you couldn't pay for overnight parking in a camp ground even if you wanted to.....

Just my .02
Old 03-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #675
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I would appreciate thoughts on overnights at travel rest stops, state welcome stops and truck stops. I've stayed at Walmarts and found that just fine. We need to make a couple of quick overnights on upcoming trip and was thinking about rest stops or truck stops. The good, bad, and ugly any one?

Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #676
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
How can one run air at WalMart? We are full-timers and do not run anything like air unless we have electric. Maybe we are clueless as usual...HELP
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #677

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have done them all over the years. Wal-Marts, Truck Plazas, and rest areas. We have found them all good. There is no bad or ugly.

We make these overnight stops only when we are traveling through, stopping late and starting early. It's not a matter of saving money. It's a matter of convenience and efficiency. Arriving late at a campground is always problematic. The office is closed, the site is hard to find, and the maneuvering in the dark is always difficult. The campground always manages to give you a site that is too short to stay hooked-up. When this happens, it is a real production.

By the time I could get settled in a campground, I could have an hour's sleep under my belt at Wal-Mart.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #678
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
How can one run air at WalMart? We are full-timers and do not run anything like air unless we have electric. Maybe we are clueless as usual...HELP

No AC, water or sewage at Walmart. I suppose you could run a generater. Personally I would not leave one sitting out. I have a feeling it might disapear quickly.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #679

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No AC, water or sewage at Walmart. I suppose you could run a generater. Personally I would not leave one sitting out. I have a feeling it might disapear quickly.
I have used my Honda 2000 generators at Wal-Mart and the other locations on numerous ocassions without any problems. I do chain them to the Airstream or the tow vehicle while I do this.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #680
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug and I overnighted at WalMart a half dozen times over the years, and I have stayed a few times in my solo travel. We do not take up a stretch of parking spaces, but pull over to a side or rear area, out of the way.

It is an occasional overnite, not a way of life.

You could run your generator for AC, if you needed to, but might disturb others not running theirs.

We have never felt unsafe nor ever had anything stolen. I set my little bicycle out wherever I am, next to the Interstate, and have never had a problem. The parking lots are well lit and have security cameras.

I don't think one is in any more danger of being robbed in a WalMart parking lot than in any other place.

Maggie