Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #641
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
At Walmart, wouldn't the charge be $9.98?

Now dagnabbit - that's a nice piece of levity at the right time! Well played.

"C'mon people now - smile on your brother - everybody get together, time to love one another right now...."
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #642
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Nothing like a little personnel insult to get a thread fired up. Haha.. I'd be happy to pay.. (But no more than $9.98, and I would expect a coupon out on it somewhere.) "wink"

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #643
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
The question was out there - would I pay a $10 fee to park overnight at Walmart. Yup!!!!! But I like free, because we will shop there for odds and ends. Note - When we travel west (almost yearly) from VT, our first day takes us to the Ohio Turnpike. The service areas are awesome with RV parking. For $20 you can hookup to 20-30-50 electricity, use a dump station, and fill w. potable water. Quite a deal for the weary RVer.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #644
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I'll second the thumbs up on Ohio rest areas. Leaving NY, a good day's drive allows me to reach OH. Over the years, I've used both the paid RV areas and, the truck parking areas of OH rest areas (when I didn't need RV services). I've overnighted at many Walmart's (and other stores). I've only been denied once at a Walmart in CO (I arrived after dark and saw there were NO other RVs or trucks parked). When I asked a manager about parking overnight, I was told a local ordinance banned it but, that another Walmart down the road allowed it. I spent NO money at the first Walmart and, drove five miles to the second Walmart. Again, no RVs or trucks were parked. I asked the manager there for permission and told her what the first manager said. The manager laughed and told me that both Walmarts were in the same jurisdiction and, there was NO such ordinance! The manager asked how long I wanted to stay. I answered that I'd be leaving in the morning and was given permission to park overnight. I did shop in that Walmart. I can afford to pay a campground and, over the years, have stayed in many. Why pay for campground services I'm NOT going to use? All I need is a night's sleep and a quick start in the morning. I have NO need for hook ups or to extend my slides. Pulling into campgrounds late at night is likely to disturb campers who have already settled down for the night (been there, done that). I do shop wherever I overnight so, local merchants benefit from business they otherwise would not have had. Sadly, there are "slob" campers who abuse the hospitality many businesses offer. I expect that such people are beyond redemption and would resist being educated as to proper manners and protocols about being a considerate and responsible "guest". Those people are the problem. For RVers who don't like / want to "stealth" camp, that's their choice and, it's fine with me. They should not get bent out of shape though, if others make different choices, especially when they are considerate guests.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #645
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
All kinds of snobs in this world and at least one of them owns an Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #646
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
To NY24: You perfectly summed up the situation. You and I travel in the same manner - including the Ohio Turnpike service areas. Aren't they great?!! WalMart, Cracker Barrels, etc. provide a great service for us and we should pay them back by patronizing them and keeping a clean "camp".
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #647
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
One way to keep slobs from ruining Walmart parking is fir the store security to write down license plate numbers and let the campers know this and let them know that Walmart will follow up on any misuse of the parking lot. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #648
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yeah, that would work but I suspect that as soon as RV'ers in the parking lot require any time or expense to a given store manager is about when the "no overnight parking" signs will go up.

It is a nice safe harbor in a pinch. Hope we keep the option...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #649
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I love staying in Walmart parking lots and it is not to save money (both my wife and American Express would confirm I'm not a cheapskate).

The convenience of pulling off the road in a reasonable safe and quiet area (compared to truck stops) for a bit of sleep after doing a long drive is wonderful. When doing a long cross country haul, I don't want to be bothered with a traditional campground. We are getting ready to do a quick run from Arizona to the mothership in OH and then back to Montana. On this trip I need to minimize my travel time and will probably take advantage of the Wally World stays for at least a few of the nights.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #650
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I use Ohio on Rt 80 a lot. Most are surrounded by farms, I park on the end, barn in front of me. It is beautiful and I gladly pay the $20.00 even though I have been told no one ever checks. I am happy to be in a safe pretty and convenient place, and that is priceless on travel day. same with Cracker Barrels in Ct and NY. Oh and the CT welcome center on Rt 84 East is a hoot, regular community ends up there at night, pretty interesting talking to all the travelers. Btw I am a female traveling alone....no fear
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #651
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Why some care that WalMart does not charge is way beyond me. If you do not like their system that helps the rest that want this advantage then pull into a cg and get over it. Enough said we are all different.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #652
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
My original post was about $500.00 motor homes and AS up to $150.00 staying in walmart. I have seen these people at our local walmart stay up to a week these are the ones I referred to but some thin skinned people called me some things that are not true. Not all people that stay at walmart are cheepys.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #653
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Never seen a $150 Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #654
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We all know Featherbedder meant $500,000 and $150,000... Right?

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:46 AM   #655
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
My original post was about $500.00 motor homes and AS up to $150.00 staying in walmart. I have seen these people at our local walmart stay up to a week these are the ones I referred to but some thin skinned people called me some things that are not true. Not all people that stay at walmart are cheepys.
I think you just posted a thought you had at the moment, I'm not holding you to what you said.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #656
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Never seen a $150 Airstream.

There have been a few days that I'd take that for mine...

-Red, known to make rash decisions...
Old 03-19-2015, 04:35 AM   #657
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I think you just posted a thought you had at the moment, I'm not holding you to what you said.

Yep, and I think you are entitled to an opinion that shouldn't make others overly sensitive.

Just an observation,,,, but We Americans are all becoming way too nanzy panzie and easily offended these days..

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #658
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Yep, and I think you are entitled to an opinion that shouldn't make others overly sensitive.

Just an observation,,,, but We Americans are all becoming way too nanzy panzie and easily offended these days..

And they are entitled to be jackwagons.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #659
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hey guys; look at Bill's post back on the 14th he has $150,000 for A$ and tv. As for the $150.00, Bill has the ORIGINAL sale ticket for his "71" list $ of about $12,000; compare that to today's $. He is the original owner.
mike
WBCCI/AF 27937
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #660
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Jez folks, my post was a joke. No reason to get all defensive and rude. Of course he meant 150K.