Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #621
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Dear Featherbedder: We “resemble” that remark about freebee parking, but here’s the reality for our lives. My wife and I are both retired people with modest incomes, and have to watch our expenditures. We don’t go out to the movies and eating out is usually pizza or other fast food. We prioritize where our money is going. Taking our trips around the USA and Canada with our AS is at the top of our bucket list. Conserving money on our journeys is a fact of life. 1. On long travel days (600 to 700+ miles) we stop regularly at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, etc. for both convenience (right off the highways) and savings. We always shop where we stop to “pay back” - far less expense than a campground 2. We do almost all our cooking and eat in. 3. When we arrive at our destination campgrounds, our activities are basically “freebees” - hiking - kayaking - biking. (We bring our own equipment.) I’m glad to hear that you have the unlimited ability spend as you wish, but to classify the rest of us as freeloaders puts you in a special class of people - narrow minded and condescending. Sincerely, a Vermont freeloader.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #622
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Time to repost this.

There some out of date places, however, most are good. I particularly like the free City Parks. Usually near places you could use and enjoy.....stores, laundries, coffee shops, etc.Free Campgrounds for RVs
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #623
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
It sure has come a looong way since people headed to California in their covered wagons.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #624
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know.....places like WalMart that allow overnight parking are getting something in return.

RV'ers spend a ton of money at WalMart. Allowing overnight parking is good business sense. Same with Cracker Barrel.

My goal every day is not to find a free place to park, but free or inexpensive is good, and stretches out one's travel dollar.

When free or inexpensive is not available, or weather mandates electricity, I pay it and am glad for the conveniences.

Some are independently wealthy, for whom money is never an issue, but most of us are just ordinary folk trying to see the country while living within our means.

We have met some fulltimer folks in big Class A's who found increased fuel costs and stock market volatility put them in a position where they couldn't afford to drive, requiring them going from one inexpensive federal site to the next, just trying to stay afloat.

Some folks are just cheap, and always are looking for something for nothing, but you never really know......unless you know.

Be kind, be compassionate......you don't always know what kind of life others are living, or what burdens they bear.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #625
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry Walmart camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Dear Featherbedder: We “resemble” that remark about freebee parking, but here’s the reality for our lives. My wife and I are both retired people with modest incomes, and have to watch our expenditures. We don’t go out to the movies and eating out is usually pizza or other fast food. We prioritize where our money is going. Taking our trips around the USA and Canada with our AS is at the top of our bucket list. Conserving money on our journeys is a fact of life. 1. On long travel days (600 to 700+ miles) we stop regularly at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, etc. for both convenience (right off the highways) and savings. We always shop where we stop to “pay back” - far less expense than a campground 2. We do almost all our cooking and eat in. 3. When we arrive at our destination campgrounds, our activities are basically “freebees” - hiking - kayaking - biking. (We bring our own equipment.) I’m glad to hear that you have the unlimited ability spend as you wish, but to classify the rest of us as freeloaders puts you in a special class of people - narrow minded and condescending. Sincerely, a Vermont freeloader.
I also very limited income. Retired, my income is less than $ 35,000 per year nor do I get welfare of any kind or other fin. help, and I do not live lavishly, if I had not pur. AS in 1977 I would not be able to go out 4or 5 times a year nor have I stayed in priv. campgrounds since 1978. I have not been to a movie since 1960 and do not freq. fancy eating places so I'm not in elite status nor can I afford to go for pizza I make myself, do not take long travel anymore because of limited finances. I have pur. 1 new vehicle since 1978 then only because had to & Ford had 0% for 60 mos. in 2011. Further more I do all maint. on house & AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #626
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Forgot we go to local nascar once a yr. stay priv. campground only luxury we can afford if we did not save all yr. for it by not going out to eat or other luxury items etc. My oldest son pays for internet serv. as he also uses it.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #627
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On Thursday I stayed at Lowe's. It was nice, quiet, and clean.

We stayed overnight, picked up after our dogs, and when we left it was as if we had never been there.

We pulled in just after dark and left mid morning Friday. I didn't shop at Lowe's that time, but I shopped plenty at Lowe's when building my trailer.

It isn't so much that I was being cheap avoiding paying the forty bucks to spend the night, but it is just way convenient to just pull off the interstate and camp.

The parking lot was already there, we parked out of the way, and we are regular patrons.

Freeloading? Yea maybe. But If it was my business, I wouldn't begrudge others for parking responsibly as I did.

Featherbedder, I respect your sense of morality and fairplay, we just disagree a little on this issue.

I offer you my sincere respect. Take care friend.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #628
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
For me, staying at a Walmart, which we've done several times, is about 90% convenience, and 10% price. The ones we've stayed at, we spotted from the interstate.
It's always late at night, and we are ready for bed. It's just so easy..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #629
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have stopped in an unmanned city rv park where one is requested to leave a donation. No power, just quiet as I was the only person there. They did have trash cans so I put some in and picked up some around the grounds the next morning as a thanks for the nice facility.

When pushing the limits for a day, when I get the message it's time to quit, I do not really care much about amenities as I will be asleep in the bed before I have time to worry about "fluff" I won't use.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #630
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yep. Safer to pull over and park it than risk running off the road asleep.

About the only thing we really need on the road is an area to walk the dogs and someplace to deposit the cleanup.

Destination is another story.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #631
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Grand Junction has 2 Walmarts and we never go to the one on the east side (which may actually not be within city limits). But the one on the west side has lots of signs about parking there being prohibited by city ordinance. There is one KOA in the city and it is always full or close to it; another CG out west of I-70 may or may not be in the city (city limits are hard to know around here). It is pretty busy too. Since local government always puts local business above anything else, I suppose these CG's lobbied the city on this. By limiting places to stay in GJ, people probably just keep driving and buy gas and supplies in the next town. I have rarely seen an RV in the Walmart lot; don't know whether they got a ticket.

One way to afford a $500 K RV is to stay in free campgrounds. We've never stayed at a Walmart, Cracker Barrel or Lowe's. It gets noisy real early and we aren't early risers. Besides, it is a vacation and staying in a parking lot doesn't seem very vacationy.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Every time I'm on long trips it too hot to stay in Walmart overnight. We need the AC on.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #633
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or CrackerBarrel is ridiculous. They offer this for a reason. It is a convenience and gets tired guys off the road and that is a win for everyone.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #634
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or Cracker Barrel is ridiculous.
It's a case-by-case thing.

I'm sure there are some people who park in a Walmart or other business parking lot because it's free, either because they can't afford better or because they are cheapskates.

But I'm equally sure that there are others who park in a Walmart or other business parking lot because it's convenient and would still park there even if Walmart charged for the privilege. So show of hands, please— if you asked the manager, "Can I park here overnight?" and he were to say, "Sure, ten bucks a night, put this sign on your dashboard so the security guard knows not to run you off," would you still park there?

The answer to that question will determine whether you're a freeloader.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #635
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
WalMart, thinks its good business. We always call ahead then ask where to park when in need of a stop over. Everyone has to eat and buy other necessities. Obviously they do not mind their patrons parking over-nite and why should we. Final answer from me!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #636
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
$10? Absolutely. A bargain. Easy in, easy out and easy back on the highway. If it's summertime in Kansas or Oklahoma OTOH I'd be looking for electric hookup to run the AC.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #637
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Why the struggle to define it absolutely??

Must we judge, define, determine, etc., what others' decisions are, and presume negative and small underlying motives and thought processes???

It seems so unnecessary, to me.

We all have our opinions, which don't have to be shared and joined in by the rest of the world. Do they???

If it is not hurting you, why does where others park overnight matter???

Life is short, folks.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #638
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Well said,Maggie. Is there an Emoticon for WHO CARES?

Maybe an award system like "Rivets" for the poster who scores the most?

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #639
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
if you asked the manager, "Can I park here overnight?" and he were to say, "Sure, ten bucks a night, put this sign on your dashboard so the security guard knows not to run you off," would you still park there?
At Walmart, wouldn't the charge be $9.98?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #640
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or CrackerBarrel is ridiculous. They offer this for a reason. It is a convenience and gets tired guys off the road and that is a win for everyone.
The freeloaders must be the ones that get out the grill and lawn chairs.