Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #393
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Try the outlet mall. I think you will like it better.
Outlet mall? As in a shopping center?? Do they allow overnighters?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The outlet mall in Hillsboro is world famous. It is so large it has a city government. RV's are welcome.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #395
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Is there a List of favorite Walmarts?

We drove east on I-10 thinking that, it being late, we would get a bit of rest at a Walmart. Problem is that most of the Walmarts were off the Interstate, so it was hard to make a good choice. We took a chance at the Ensley, Fl and found a really comfortable safe spot. There were over a dozen parked there, including two other Airstreams. I recommend this one.

But we wished we had a list of other spots recommended by RVers. I have seen just as many Walmarts to avoid as I have seen those that would be good to overnight at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2074-2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	124307  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
We've been staying in Wal Mart parking lots for the past 10 years. Normally it isn't a problem. However, some communities have outlawed the practice due to complaints from local camp grounds. If the Wal Mart doesn't allow parking there will be a sign at the entrance. Within the same town the rules can vary. For instannce, the new Wal Mart in Columbia, MO is in a more exclusive area of town and they don't allow overnight parking. But if you go to the next exit east on the interstate you will find a Wall Mart that has no restrictions.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
We drove east on I-10 thinking that, it being late, we would get a bit of rest at a Walmart. Problem is that most of the Walmarts were off the Interstate, so it was hard to make a good choice. We took a chance at the Ensley, Fl and found a really comfortable safe spot. There were over a dozen parked there, including two other Airstreams. I recommend this one.

But we wished we had a list of other spots recommended by RVers. I have seen just as many Walmarts to avoid as I have seen those that would be good to overnight at.

Great PHOTO, and a real credit to those who are there that night. No slides out, mo gensets that I can see, lights off in the remote end of the parking lot. All great moves if this is the be sustained as a resource. I've been in a few but I wish that Walmart would step in and have a reference page as to where they would allow us to stay and where there were local laws that prohibit it. I'm sure there is a liability lawyer waiting to pounce on something like that.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Spent a quick night at Hattiesburg, MS last night on the way home from Florida. It wasn't the best one ever, but we felt ok since there was a security patrol all night - kept hearing him go around the trailer. I think he was looking over our AS. We felt safe enough, but the security patrol is a dead giveaway one might not be in the best area~ LOL. But, it was free and it was too late to find a CG. Tonight, we are in Arkansas' Lake Chicot State Park. Much better. With our resident discount, 9 dollars and something. Woo hoo. Nice price after Florida CGs.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #399
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Greenbackville , Virginia
There is an Airstream only park in Hillsboro, full hookups and fenced in.... and reasonably priced $15 a night. Much safer than a shopping center parking lot.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #400
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
If I just want to sleep and don't need hookups I find a secondary road and look for abandoned gas stations, places where the county piles road material, cemeteries, rural church lots....use your imagination. I've never been told to leave such a place. I've never asked a convenience store clerk in a small town to park in their lot and been refused. Recently parking near a ranch fence in rural Texas a game warden stopped to make sure we were OK and then left us alone to enjoy the pristine sky, far from any light pollution.
Security? It tickles me to hear people state that they are afraid to park rural, but will park in a Wal Mart parking lot in a city. Next time you fear a rural spot call the local sheriff and ask him how many murders or armed robberies he's had in the last five years. I betcha he tells you "none." Then check the statistics in the city of your favorite Wal Mart parking lot.
I like this plan the best, there endless places to park out where no one would bother you as long as you don't look like you are staking a claim.

On the other Hand. We camped in a Chevrolet dealer ship lot once, most expensive night we ever had:
full tank of gas.........................$85.00
people with ideas..................... $00.00
tow truck for truck and camper...$145.00
camping at dealer lot with bright
lights and view of nice new cars...$00.00
breakfast at Perkins 4 hr.s later...$28.00
new fuel pump and u-joints.........$830.00
Total.......................................$1088. 00

Definitely cheaper to stay at the cemetery! People sleep better there to!

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #401
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I like this plan the best, there endless places to park out where no one would bother you as long as you don't look like you are staking a claim.

On the other Hand. We camped in a Chevrolet dealer ship lot once, most expensive night we ever had:
full tank of gas.........................$85.00
people with ideas..................... $00.00
tow truck for truck and camper...$145.00
camping at dealer lot with bright
lights and view of nice new cars...$00.00
breakfast at Perkins 4 hr.s later...$28.00
new fuel pump and u-joints.........$830.00
Total.......................................$1088. 00

[Definitely cheaper to stay at the cemetery! People sleep better there to!]
And they are real quiet. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #402
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Other benefits? I would think that anyone would like the attraction of a beautifully restored vintage airstream sitting in their parking lot. I remember pulling into a lot to look at restored Model T, and then after we got out and walked around, we decided just to go into the store since we were already there.

I wonder if the overhead lights from a Walmart parking lot would be enough to help charge the solar cells on a AS rooftop.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #403
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Solar from Walmart Lights

It depends on the location. I have digital gauges and noticed on a late shopping trip the solar was reading almost 12V under the lamps at Canadian Tire. That would not be strong enough to charge or maintain charge if you were consuming power. But it shows that there is potential for some limited energy gain.
Maybe the tempered glass on the solar should really be a FRESNEL LENS to magnify the light source.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Other benefits? I would think that anyone would like the attraction of a beautifully restored vintage airstream sitting in their parking lot. I remember pulling into a lot to look at restored Model T, and then after we got out and walked around, we decided just to go into the store since we were already there.
Quote:

I wonder if the overhead lights from a Walmart parking lot would be enough to help charge the solar cells on a AS rooftop.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #404
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I was just thinking since they don't offer hookups, it might be a way to extend things just a little bit. Sometimes you just need to make it until the next day.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #405
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Walmart Solar

I don't think the charge from overhead lamps could ever be depended on to keep a battery anywhere near full charge. Most large panels are polycrystalline and less efficient in low light.

No harm in leaving the solar circuit on, as the controller will only allow connection, if the battery falls below the solar charge.
Dave
"Monocrystalline Panels
  • Of the three basic solar panel types--monocrystalline, polycrystalline and amorphous--monocrystalline is the most efficient in collecting solar energy and therefore somewhat more effective in regions with low sunlight. As the name suggests, they are made from a single large silicon crystal cut from an ingot. Polycrystalline panels use many small crystals to form the collection surface, while amorphous, or thin film, solar panels consist of silicon particles applied to the surface of large plates. Monocrystalline panels, while more efficient, are only slightly so. They are also the most expensive of the three types."

Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #406
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
I was just thinking since they don't offer hookups, it might be a way to extend things just a little bit. Sometimes you just need to make it until the next day.
With all day driving, it would be easier to add a charge line if there isn't one already hooked to the trailer battery. Anybody with a full battery should be able to boondock overnight, if not, time to add another battery.