Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #481
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
There is an app for ONP Walmart. Provides locations that allow over night parking. Get on iTunes.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #482
RRR
2012 Avenue Suite

2012 Avenue Coach
SPRINGFIELD , Missouri
The Allstays site provides info on this and other stores that allow parking as well as the one's that are said not to. In addition one will find other helpful information.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #483
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I use Allstays constantly and like it above the rest, however even Allstays makes mistakes. It lists our local Walmart as one that does not allow overnight parking yet there is usually RVs there on a regular bases. So if I were tired and Allstays said no, I would ask the manager.
Also there has been times Allstays showed limited trailer lengths for campgrounds and I pulled right in and found plenty of long parking spots. Even Allstays is not always right.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #484
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
As noted in earlier messages, we've found that not all WalMarts allow ONP - we recently found one in AZ near Egar, but the Lowe's next to it did allow ONP. We make it a practice to contact the store manager to coordinate the stay...
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #485
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Allstays relies on input from its users for info. Just like here and anywhere else on the internet, just because it is posted does not make it fact. It is always good to check with the manager before parking for the night. It is just basic courtesy if nothing else.
As far I know all the Wallmarts on the Mississippi Gulf Coast allow over night parking. Just like Allstays this could be incorrect so please check with the managers before setting up for the night.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #486
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I was in Rapid City, SD several days ago. In years past, overnight parking was allowed. There is now a sign posted "NO Overnight Truck ~ RV Parking". I understand a local ordinance was passed. It is propprely listed in the AllStays iPhone App.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #487
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I just got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach. A camping mecca of sorts - two state parks and at least a half dozen huge RV parks in the area.

We spent part of the week at Ocean Lakes and part of the time at the State Park. With check-outs at 11am and check-ins at 3 pm, we ended up parked at the Wal-Mart to kill some time. Lots of other folks appeared to be doing the same thing. Although there were quite a few inconsiderate a-holes, as there always seems to be at the beach - awkwardly parked across many spaces in the center of the lot, slides out, stabilizers down, etc.

I parked along the entrance road (with several others) on the shoulder and went in the store and spent $100.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #488
1 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
pagosa springs , Colorado
We did a 27 state 10,000 mi 7mo trip last year and stayed at Wal-Mart about 40-50 nights. 1 place in Florida didn't allow it and 1 in Vermont.
Some years ago in Yuma AZ a security guard told us we could not stay there overnight.

Also I found a couple of books that have info about what type store, good directions for finding it and whether overnight parking is allowed. I found them online but don't remember where. Googled Wal-Mart Atlas I think.
WMD1931
wmd1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #489
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
The app cost $2.99 on my iPhone....
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #490
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Why do one suppose so many localities are involved in passing ordinances banning ONP in places like WalMart parking lots?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #491
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Why do one suppose so many localities are involved in passing ordinances banning ONP in places like WalMart parking lots?
Because your getting something for free.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #492
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I suspect there are several different reasons, all having to do with local political influence as well as location.

Location can involve things like proximity to major throughfares (trucker traffic) and/or to major tourist attractions and/or to major economic drivers like oil producing fields. It can also involve age of town, where some locales just don't have the space for large parking lots.

Local political influence is harder to judge and may involve simple stuff like who-knows-whom. If some RV park owner happens to be well connected, for instance, that could play a role. Ultimately, though, the influence of RV parks may relate to real or perceived enonomic impact, which might dovetail nicely with the location factor: A small town in a tourist area with one RV park and no other motels or hotels would differ from a town with lots of RV parks and fewer hotels/motels in a tourist area. In many cases, though, RV parks are considered to be "low income housing" by the non-RVing public, including local political leaders. (Indeed, it doesn't help a bit when a WM lot is invaded by broken-down rigs filled with people who are using the place to live on a semi-permanent basis.)

In the end, it's just hard to pinpoint a single causal factor that would apply across the board to all situations.

Lynn
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #493
Rivet Master

Might be that

The signs make it easy to get rid of people that stay too long or are acting up.
In Durango, it has been thought that the local campgrounds took issue.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #494
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
(laughter) Well yes, I think that drives a lot of people nuts at the Chamber of Commerce, for instance. There is an ingrained cultural aversion regarding letting anyone get anything for free. Whether intended as a tongue in cheek comment or not, I think your pithy response is the simple truth.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #495
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I think everyone forgets that municipalities are businesses just like any other business and derive their income from taxes, fees, on local businesses. When there is something for free that takes from the local economy, and this is what is driving the majority of these laws. Then there is the local campgrounds who are having to pay these taxes and fees regardless of whether anyone uses their campground or not and when they see people staying in parking lots not for just a few hours but for day, days, then that is money out of their pocket, and as a business owner you open a business to make money. Many on here are business owners ask them if they have a business that they do to do for free.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #496
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I think everyone forgets that municipalities are businesses just like any other business and derive their income from taxes, fees, on local businesses. When there is something for free that takes from the local economy, and this is what is driving the majority of these laws. Then there is the local campgrounds who are having to pay these taxes and fees regardless of whether anyone uses their campground or not and when they see people staying in parking lots not for just a few hours but for day, days, then that is money out of their pocket, and as a business owner you open a business to make money. Many on here are business owners ask them if they have a business that they do to do for free.
If you stay at a WM your not taking anything from the local municipalities because its money they didn't have in the first place. If they pass laws to force you into campgrounds they are the ones stealing your money. If a local campground pushes to get laws passed to force you to stay at their campground they are either greedy or should close their business if they cant get enough customers to pay for the campground. Every direction you turn nowdays someone is trying to squeeze money from you.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #497
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
My stay has never been free, even if we don't need anything, just walking in to let management know we would like to park for the night, we always find something we need and it will save a trip out later. Our class A does not do small parking lots especially when towing. If Walmart thought it was free they too would be upset, they are in business to make money.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #498
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That pretty much gets to my comment about perceived or real economic impact. If the local leaders perceive the business as a source of income, then they'll do everything they can to squeeze your customers. But it is often perception, especially in towns whose hotel/motel spaces massively overwhelm the number of RV park spaces, making the RV park look like a tiny flea, and often an unwanted one at that.

Speaking personally, I don't buy into the idea. We don't have a WalMart or anything like it here, but we do have big parking lots at the resort ski base. And the way I see it, if folks want to stay someplace in one of the parking lots, that's their choice. Forcing them to park their rigs in the RV park will just upset people. We do fine without them, and it serves no purpose to bring in angry people just to make a couple of extra bucks. (And when those same folks come here wanting to use bathrooms and showers and to get discounted propane, well, the answer is no.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #499
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
That's it in a nutshell. Lot's of people can't allow that, and they don't know why.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #500

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Personally I just don't like the idea of camping in parking lots. The major reason is the issue of safety. Not just the fact that a private campground has some safety features that a campground doesn't, but I like the fact that there are other like minded folks around me. Not that they are going to come to my rescue, but the fact that there is some sense that folks up to no good aren't going to come to a campground where there are others nearby. Large parking lots are a different issue and just the fact that there is an exposure factor where you are the odd duck sitting in the big pond. Not to speak of transient traffic where individuals sometimes act on the spur of the moment opportunity.

Compound that with the unfamiliarity of the area. Again not all campgrounds are in pristine locations, but I could show you some WalMarts in our metro area that look just great, but back to some pretty rough areas that have some high crime rates. I shudder when I see folks spending the night at these locales.

Yet on the positive side, I hear no news reports of problems, and I'm sure if overnighting in a parking lot was as bad as my apprehensions, the word would spread like wildfire. So I guess a lot of this is with your own personal level of comfort.

I remember a smaller town in the south that had a large parking lot next to a football stadium. The lot had full hookup sites was totally paved and had ample lights. You paid into an honor system box. The night I stayed there the lot was completely vacant (late November) during the week. The lot was up on a hill, no traffic to speak of, yet I felt uncomfortable. Again for my part it was the exposure factor and the odd duck in the big pond syndrome. I guess part of this is growing up and living in a metropolitan area. You hear the stories of senseless crimes and the victims are sometimes just the matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote