Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #461
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
There is an iPhone app for this. See ONP Walmart in the iTunes store.

Randy
Downloaded it, looks great! Also have Oh Ranger, National Parks and CampWhere, along with Woodalls.....somehow we still occasionally end up at Walmart.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #462
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have never stayed at a Walmart overnight, yet. We do use the all stays Walmart app (droid) to locate the stores on the road. We rarely frequent Walmart when at home, but on the road they are a great place to stock up on needed items and they have plenty of room to park the truck and trailer while shopping.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #463
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter

One thing we learned the hard way about overnighting at WMT, do not park near the loading docks, those bad boys arrive super early with the big rigs.
Used both apps last night outside of Salt Lake and ended up at the WMT in Ogden as everything nice was booked and our awesome freebie site at Middlefork got taken over by rowdies so we scooted, too late by then for most other options. Never thought I would say Thank Goodness for Walmart. I am thinking a RV'ers rati g for the various WMTs would be helpful. What do you think?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #464
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Continued use and promotion of WalMart as a cg is probably not what is good in the long run. The more it is used as a regular cg, the more pressure from Municipalities to ban the practice.
As an emergency stop, I think it is great to be able to use these places, but that "privilege" will disappear with abuse.

Use discretion and common sense when finding your overnight stop.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post
Used both apps last night outside of Salt Lake and ended up at the WMT in Ogden as everything nice was booked and our awesome freebie site at Middlefork got taken over by rowdies so we scooted, too late by then for most other options. Never thought I would say Thank Goodness for Walmart. I am thinking a RV'ers rati g for the various WMTs would be helpful. What do you think?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #465
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would think that WM along with other business should be used only as a last resort. WM is not a destination, but I have seen MHs and Trailers with their toads/TV detached, slide outs extended and even rugs and chairs on the ground all setup. It was obvious that they were camped for several days.

On our recent 6K mile trip we spent most nights in state parks and found them reasonably priced (under $20), had 30 amp power (it was very hot out) and most had great showers. Many state parks have lost funding recently and I chose to support them.

Richard

Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #466
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I would think that WM along with other business should be used only as a last resort. WM is not a destination, but I have seen MHs and Trailers with their toads/TV detached, slide outs extended and even rugs and chairs on the ground all setup. It was obvious that they were camped for several days.

On our recent 6K mile trip we spent most nights in state parks and found them reasonably priced (under $20), had 30 amp power (it was very hot out) and most had great showers. Many state parks have lost funding recently and I chose to support them.
You know, we have met a fair number of people whose goal every night is to park for free ( it's not really camping, is it, in a Walmart parking lot?).

It might be a finances issue---that's what I'd like to think. If not, it is a chosen lifestyle that I just don't understand.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #467
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

You know, we have met a fair number of people whose goal every night is to park for free ( it's not really camping, is it, in a Walmart parking lot?).

It might be a finances issue---that's what I'd like to think. If not, it is a chosen lifestyle that I just don't understand.

Maggie
I agree that it is not a great first choice, in our case each time we have pulled in very late and left very early as we are in route and putting on 600+ miles on some days. Last night the NFS campgrounds were already full. We will spend over $2500 this summer on campground fees, as owners of a campground always competing with free sites, we realize we need to provide value to earn business. Our most expensive campground this year just outside of Quebec City was $43, no hookups, next to a highway and dump station. They are listed as a Good Sam park, but don't honor the discount, certainly was ot a good value. Camping in addition to the cost of fuel is no longer an inexpensive proposition.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #468
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Continued use and promotion of WalMart as a cg is probably not what is good in the long run. The more it is used as a regular cg, the more pressure from Municipalities to ban the practice.
As an emergency stop, I think it is great to be able to use these places, but that "privilege" will disappear with abuse.

Dave
Keep in mind the Walmaet benefit generously. In our case we normally spend between $25 and lose to $100 a stop, last night it was $38, more than the cost of most campgrounds. K Mart began the practice long ago, Walmart picked it up later and they both post if it is not permitted. On the other hand, the truck stops welcome RV's and have the advantage of showers.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #469
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm

Dave
I've used WM a few times to catch a nap and make it a point to meet someone in management or security. Please clean up around your RVs!!! Many managers are tiring of garbage and waste being left by PIGS! This type are ruining the WM goodwill toward the RVer community. I once saw evidence of waste water dumping at TN Walmart! A Real SHAME. We made sure we parked far away from that pig.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #470
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I recently just parked temporarily in a Walmart parking lot (to wait to have lunch with a friend) and I was disturbed to see that someone had disposed poop/toilet paper on the ground. I was parked in an area where campers were parked. I had my 'stream with me. I was hoping this was not from a RVer. I was very disappointed. I think Walmart will slowly stop this practice because during my three-month trip from Georgia to Alaska and back, I saw a lot of abuse of this practice. We spent a few days in the Yukon Territory and the Walmart parking lot up there looked like a campground every night. A lot of Class A's (saw the same campers) used it every night like a campground. The lot was packed with campers. Some of them had even put out there lawn chairs and plants, I kid you not. There were no shortage of campground space because the campground that my caravan stayed in had plenty of sites left over. It was an example of campers being cheat. I can understand taking advantage of staying overnight at a Walmart because you are passing through an area....but camping out for days...and taking advantage of Walmart....is not fair. There are always some who will ruin it for others.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #471
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is disgusting and uncalled for.

If I knew who had done it, this might warrant a call to the local gendarmes to take appropriate action.

Maggie
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #472
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We were traveling up the Mississippi River Roads on the way to Duluth, MN and Lake Superior, from St Louis. We stopped the first night near prairie du chein. It was pretty late (10ish) I was looking for a Walmart. None there, but found a Cabela's center. It was a pretty good sized place. I thought, I've spent a lot of $$ at Cabela's over the years, I'm pulling in. Found a nice level spot in the lot and called it a night.. No problems, except it turned out to be employee parking. The first shift came in at 6:00. Ha, we had to get out of there, or we would have been trapped in. Never heard anything from Cabela's.
Found a campground up the road the next morning! Oh well..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #473
2 Rivet Member

Wow! After reading the previous posts about pig RV'ers I'm afraid to over night at the Walmart. First off I'd like to say that, if I must, ill stay at a truck stop while traveling because I get up early gas up and get on the road. One thing I have noticed about truckers is that, many times, I see them dumping their pee buckets onto the parking lots.
That being said, I plan a trip into Oregon next month. I wanted to overnight at the WM in Troutdale so I could do a major food shopping before committing to the trip. Almost all other over nighters are planned, scenic, and paid for. Does anyone know if Troutdale WM off of 84 and 30 is an option?
lightng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #474
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng
Wow! After reading the previous posts about pig RV'ers I'm afraid to over night at the Walmart. First off I'd like to say that, if I must, ill stay at a truck stop while traveling because I get up early gas up and get on the road. One thing I have noticed about truckers is that, many times, I see them dumping their pee buckets onto the parking lots.
That being said, I plan a trip into Oregon next month. I wanted to overnight at the WM in Troutdale so I could do a major food shopping before committing to the trip. Almost all other over nighters are planned, scenic, and paid for. Does anyone know if Troutdale WM off of 84 and 30 is an option?
Nope, the wal mart there does not allow over nights. Most in the bigger cities don't. But exit 17 has a truck travel center you could stay at.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #475
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Around here we are seeing a lot of homeless folks set up semi-permanent camps in or near the various "super" stores ... caution is in order as many are quite bold with their pan handling and the AS appears to be an easy score.

It is probably not a good idea to assume that because you see another RV parked, it is OK to spend the night in a parking lot. That can translate into a short night's sleep when security or local PD knock on the door and ask you to move on ... suggest checking with the retailer's management team before settling in for ther night. Another option when school is not in session - is the acres of parking in public school sites...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2
Around here we are seeing a lot of homeless folks set up semi-permanent camps in or near the various "super" stores ... caution is in order as many are quite bold with their pan handling and the AS appears to be an easy score.
Might want to let the store manager know about that.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #477
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
... Another option when school is not in session - is the acres of parking in public school sites...
School parking lots are not on my list of places to park. Many states and local communities have adopted laws that prohibit various items from being on or even close to school property. Being found on school property with alcohol or a weapon could be a very serious problem.

Richard

Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #478
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
School parking lots are not on my list of places to park. Many states and local communities have adopted laws that prohibit various items from being on or even close to school property. Being found on school property with alcohol or a weapon could be a very serious problem.
Hmmm. We stayed near a school playground in July in Kansas, I think, in a small town off one of those godforsaken stretches of highway out there that go on forever with no place to pull off to spend the night.

Had no problem from anyone, left no trace we were there and were on our way early in the am. School was not in session, of course.

We also spent the night once in Tennessee in the parking lot by a historical center we wanted to visit that was only open on Tuesday and Thursday. We were right downtown, no one gave us any problem.

May depend on what you do when you are there. We also always avoid places that are clearly posted to prevent overnighting.

How would anyone know you had alcohol and/or a gun in your unit? Would school rules/laws apply to an overnight such as this? Would have to be a very inquisitive and desperate-for-action cop, methinks.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #479
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Thought I had posted this before, but it must have been in a different thread…

I haven't tried this myself because I haven't been on a trip long enough to need an overnight stop en route since buying my Airstream. However, I have a coworker who has done it frequently back when he still had a travel trailer. He recommends stopping at a church and using their parking lot. Says he's never once been turned away or asked to move on.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #480
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I started RVing in 2010 and did one 22 day trip. I did not stay in any WalMart lots then. In 2011, I did one long trip ~ four months. On that trek, I stayed in several WM lots without problem. One WM I arrived in near Denver had NO RVs parked when I arrived. I asked at the desk and was told a local ordinance prohibited overnight parking but, a second WM five miles away allowed it. Upon arrival again, no RVs parked. I asked at the desk and mentioned what I was told at the first WM. The manager laughed and told me both stores were in the same town and, there was no such ordinance. That store just didn't want overnight RVs. I was welcomed to stay for the night. In the first WM, I spent zero. In the hospitable WM, I dropped about $50! I've only seen two WMs with signs clearly stating "NO Overnight Parking". One in MD added a "$500 Fine" warning! Last year over two treks, I spent over five months on the road and, more than a few nights in WM parking lots. I have an iPhone. There is an App, "AllStays Camp & RV" for about $5. It has listings of WalMarts that are OK to park and DO NOT park. I've been very happy with that App and would recommend it. As already stated, stay one night only, do NOT use jacks, generators, outside chairs, grills etc. Leave the area cleaner than you found it. Buy something in the host WM. I time it so that I get there 9 PM or later. I shop in the morning and am quickly back on the road. If there are any RVs already there, I just park where they are and settle in for the night. I have seen at least one WM with a sign directing RVers to park in a specific area so, as you pull in, keep your eyes open! Hope this helps; Happy Motoring!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote