Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #441
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
We've logged OVER 50,000 miles pulling our 2010 23FB. We average a bit more than half our nights dry camping. We have never been chased away from any place we parked. Wal-Mart is not high on our list. We'd prefer a lonely church parking lot, or any rural spot over town camping. When we do camp at a Wal-Mart we ask first. One, in Canada, had signs proclaiming "No RV Parking." We asked anyway because we saw a few campers obviously settled in for the night. We were told, "The local RV park owners raised hell and got the city council to put up the signs here and at other large lots. This is private property, and I assure you we will not ask you to move, or have you towed as the sign says." Very clearly the pressure is from RV parks. We hate RV parks and only use them when we have to dump. Best camping is anything National. Get your Geezer pass for half price camping and in places, Amistad Lake near Del Rio, TX the cost is $6.00.
BTW: Use common sense. Don't drop your trailer, roll out the awning, rug and lawn chairs and settle in for a week. Don't litter. It's "overnight" folks. A few can quickly ruin it for everyone.
Matt qudos to this, you have said the same thing I have been saying and experience. I believe many of the RV/Campgrounds have got a little carried away with their charges and so on, and they are going to price themselves right back into hardship. Now I am not saying free, I dont even mind 25.00 per night, but when it get to 40-50 a night and then they want to charge you for each child that is going a bit far. After all it says family campground.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #442
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We stay at WMs often, but always check with the manager and look for local government no parking signs. If all is OK, we shop there to support them. If not at WM, we will do the night at a truck stop - not as quiet but doable.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #443
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
My first try at a WalMart was in Destin. It was about 11 at night and the State Park was full. We were almost asleep when a knock on the trailer and a voice outside said "You have to Move". (us and about 4 other trailers) Evidently local city restrictions prevent the use of parking lots for overnight camping. They don't want WalMart to take away revenue from the paid camping lots. We got back in the car and drove another 100 miles to another WalMart and spent the night there. Destin lost our money from breakfast, gas and some shopping and I probably won't come back. WalMart has to go with the ordinances we know. But someone else got my money the next day.
You should write the city and tell them this, after all it is money they want and if they find out they are loosing enough it changes things. So everyone should write and say something every time they get asked to move.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #444
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Maybe its just me but I hate not having an exact plan of where I will be camping tonight. I want to know before I break camp and have alternate plans in case of breakdowns, etc. And , I want to be there before dark. I don't want to get to a Wal-Mart p.lot at 11pm and be booted out at 2am. I am just too old for that kind of crap. I realize I can't always control that but in this age of information its not that hard to have a pretty good idea of where I am going to end up. I hate 2 am surprises !
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #445
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
If it was a walmart employee warning you he probley saved you from a citation.
It is private property and the LEO can not write a ticket without walmarts permission, it is in that case I would complain to the manager, Distric & general managers, all the way to bentonville Ark
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #446

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Destin, Florida Wal-Mart

I have lived near the Destin Wal-Mart since before the Super Center was built about 12 years ago. To give some perspective to the overnight RV parking issue at this Wal-Mart, some information needs to be disclosed. This particular Wal-Mart is directly across the street from Henderson State Park which boasts about a half mile of beautiful, pristine beachfront. The park has about 50 campsites that fill up pretty quickly.

As this Wal-Mart parking lot is within walking distance (1/4 mile) of the ocean, it had started becoming an ad hok campground as soon as it opened.There were many RVer who were staying in this Wal-Mart parking lot for several days at a time and enjoying a beach vacation. Awnings, chairs, and grills were out every evening, and parking lot cook outs were common place. Dogs and children were running in the parking lot wreaking havoc amongst the Wal-Mart customers. Some nights there were as many as 50 RVs in the lot.

Whether or not it was at Wal-Mart's urging, I do not know. The City of Destin decided that this was an eyesore in a small city that is totally economically dependent on tourism. They enacted an ordinance to prohibit overnight parking or camping in parking lots.

I don't take issue with this as it was the direct result of irresponbilbe RVers.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #447
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Everything Moosetags said plus this is a very small parking lot by WM standards. IT is the nicest WM I have ever seen. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #448
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I would think then that signage in the parking lot at Walmart in Destin would say "No Overnight Parking or Camping Allowed by City Ordinance". Maybe it's there now I don't know. In my case we tried to get reservations at the State park and we drove around to several of the RV parks near the beach which were full and looked like a parking lot on grass lots. After this we said "well they say Walmart allows overnight camping". So we joined about 3 other RVers on the corner of the lot. Don't think the store was open as it was around midnight. Wake up knock came at 1:15 to move. We were total newbies as this was our first trip bringing home our Tradewind. Never saw the beach at Destin and probably won't plan on stoping by there next time we pass through.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #449
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I've slept in way more Wal-Mart's than I care to admit, and I've never once had a problem. Everywhere from Oregon suburbs to Alabama slums to Pennsylvania cities and I've never even bothered to ask. There is almost always at least one other RV of some type in the lot, so if you see that (or more likely, 2 or 3 or 5) then you should know you're pretty good to go.

I've done this in an RV dozens of times, in a friends Airstream twice, and even in my beat up old VW Bus and again, never, ever any problems. In fact, in some places a guy with a flashlight on a little golf cart type thing drives around and checks on RVers.

Now, I hate Wal-Mart, I do, I think they're a bane to our society...however, this is one area where they really shine. I guess they figure you'll stock up at their store, but you can also use their bathrooms, there's usually some type of place to eat there, etc. etc.

Just don't post up the camp chairs and turn on the generator.
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #450
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Howdy......

Can anyone enlighten as to the truth that Wal Marts allow MHs and TTs to park overnight in their parking lots? I overheard someone say this, but as a beginner, I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks.....

Nick Danger, Third Eye
1989 370 LE
When we cannot find a campground, we will pull into the far end of a Wal-Mart parking lot. We come in late, leave early, buy supplies from their store, we NEVER unhook-put an awning out--BBQ--discharge grey water--play music, etc. I really appreciate the fact we can find a place to sleep when we cannot get a camp spot.

The only Wal Mart we have found that would not let us stay was along I-70 in Colorado...near the ski areas...but those parking lots have signs posted to that effect. I totally understand their point.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #451
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Walmarts are everywhere but not all Walmart allow overnight parking, most of Florida WM in cities or near attractions don't.
Best answer is look for signs or have no park list from online.
Check with Management, talk to the security guard.
Check the size of the oil puddle near the front door parking spaces, less is better.
If you get ok, don't park near dumpster, loading zone, or section near the kids hangout zone, you might have to be able to sleep through the parking lot zambony and security circling all night, but if you are tired from marathon drive you won't notice.
Don't forget to do a walk around inspection before pulling out, tires, pavement between wheels, hitch, bike straps and wiring hookup.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #452
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We are staying at a university the next 3 night - it's a parking lot with hookups but it's safe and the local area has all the cool university stuff to do. Swim meet for my daughter has brought us here and we will look at this option in the future as we travel. It's easy to check - I did and several universities said yes they allow camping for short stays and overnights. Forget about it during football games.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #453
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Booklet lists WalMarts that do NOT allow

I have this booklet "Wal-Mart Stores that DO NOT allow Overnight RV Parking" I got for 5 bucks from FreeCampgrounds.com. I don't know if it is still available.

Whitefawn
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
There is an iPhone app for this. See ONP Walmart in the iTunes store.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #455
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Walmarts are everywhere but not all Walmart allow overnight parking, most of Florida WM in cities or near attractions don't.
I believe that, as a matter of policy, Walmart allows overnight parking wherever it is legal and when it is in compliance with law and ordinance.

In Minnesota more than 4 RVs camping together is regulated as a campground, requiring a permit, inspections, and compliance with various regulations. As as result Minnesota Walmarts will not allow you to park overnight if there are already 4 RVs in the lot.

There are also cities that have ordinances prohibiting the practice. In most cases these are recently passed as the result of organized lobbying efforts by local campground and resort operators though occasionally they are part of a broader anti-RV or anti-transient sentiment among the citizenry.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #456
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Traveled east from Nova Scotia now in Grand Tetons, WY, used several Walmarts along the way. freecamping.com is somewhat helpful and asking locals.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #457
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Remind me not to ask you for directions!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post
Traveled east from Nova Scotia now in Grand Tetons, WY, used several Walmarts along the way. freecamping.com is somewhat helpful and asking locals.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #458
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Remind me not to ask you for directions!

Dave
LOL! Yeah we thought it was a short cut from Maine to go to Nova Scotia first and then to Lake Tahoe, CA. btw Cabelas, Camping World and K Mart in additon to the truck stops like Flying J offer free overnights. Members of Wally Byam also offer overnights, check by region.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #459
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The Alstays app tells you if you can overnight park there. I noticed the one in Renton Wa was no overnight parking. I went there to buy something and thought, this is the last place I would stay the night. It's rather geto.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #460
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
The Alstays app tells you if you can overnight park there. I noticed the one in Renton Wa was no overnight parking. I went there to buy something and thought, this is the last place I would stay the night. It's rather geto.
One thing we learned the hard way about overnighting at WMT, do not park near the loading docks, those bad boys arrive super early with the big rigs.