Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #421
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
No-no

Saw this "abuse" in Rapid City on the 18th 19th June.
Jacks down, antenna up, toad unhooked, and motorhome not attended, in the Walmart lot.
When we pulled in for supplies about 7:30AM the toad was there. We went to Crazy Horse and came back late in the evening and the unit was still there with no lights on.
We appreciate the convenience of the Walmarts when we are on the move, but this appears to be pushing the margin of hospitality.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	farm to montana 508.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	133728  
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #422
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When we would head north for a visit we would leave on a Friday after work. When we got 4 hours up the road the exhausting week would hit us and we would have to pull over. We would go to a Wal-Mart. I always got permission to spend the night and we would crash in a spot for Trucks and RV's. After a couple of years we discovered a State Park five minutes away that only charges $20.00 for one night. Electric, Water and nice showers. We decided $20.00 was worth it. The park closes at night and they put the gate down. The ranger told us the gate was not locked and we could lift it to get in. They would get our money in the morning.

Wal-Marts are great when you get tired of driving and need a place to crash for set period of time. As long as you ask permission and you don't plan on abusing the stay. Driving makes me tired and I have to stop and do power naps. Wal-Marts have always been a good place for us. Better being rested then crashing your truck and trailer.

Brian
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #423
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
an update for the wal-mart in florida city south of miami, florida ........

no more overnight parking at that location. the 'residents' moved over to an empty lot next door but are now gone from there too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #424
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
the videos on YouTube of people "snooping" around the walmart parking lot, talking about the "campers" is enough to keep me out of the walmart parking lot. Not to mention that i'm not a walmart shopper on a normal day. The last thing i need is some guy with a video camra making a video for his 15 minutes of fame, waking me up at 2 am.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #425
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg
Well I'll start of the new day. I'm not stopping at Wallyworld again. Ever!

They were just plain rude. I stopped and parked next to all the palm trees lined up next to the garden area because it gave me some shade. I did run over a few other plants but what the heck, Wallyworld can afford it. After putting out the slides, awning and jacks I made a drink and got out my lawn chairs. I then noticed a power cord attached to the fountain so I got out my 3 way and hooked up my coach and turned on the air. Ah, life is good. I then saw a picnic table that looked good so I pulled it over and set it up. I figured it would be a good place to hold my grill. The wife brought out some hot dogs and I started grilling. Darn things burst open spilling grease everywhere and the smoke was unbearable so I grabbed the hose laying there and put it all out and made another drink. I didn't think the blacktop would burn.

The next thing you know some snotty nose kid with a Walmart tag comes by and asks "what are ya doin?" I tell him I'm camping what the heck does it look like I'm doing? He gives me a dirty look and leaves. I had to make a double to calm my nerves.

Since the food was ruined The DW called in the store to see if they would bring out some fried chicken to us. Nope, no way! What? Here we are their guests and they won't even bring out food? I gave them a piece of my mind and made another drink.

The next thing you know some "manager type" comes out and says we have to pay for the picnic table with all the grease on it and we have to leave! Well let me tell you I told him so shove it and I'm not leaving until I talk to his manager or the owner of the store. The nerve of some people, I had to make another drink

Awhile later some guy shows up in what looks like PJ's and tells me to leave. No employee card, no suit no nothing saying HE was the manager. I tell him "I was born at night but not tonight". Buzz off and I made another drink after waving my 357 at him.

I then put on some rock and roll on my outside speakers to ease the pain and made another drink but a bunch of stuck up RV people came by and complained. Seems they like to go to sleep at 11pm so I guess they can wake me up at 10am with all their loud noise and nonsense.

The next thing I know the cops arrive and arrest me! Now I know my rights and so I tell them Sam Walton invited me! They don't seem to care... They probably don't even know who Sam is...

The cops also made a BIG deal out of me dumping my tanks in the grate next to my MH. I told them that those grates are for drainage and believe me my tanks needed draining. (idiots)

I've never met more inconsiderate, rude and un-agreeable people in all my life. So that's it for Wallyworld for me. From now on I'm going to camp somewhere else!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #426
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Walmart Campers in Florida?

We are planning a trip to Florida. I checked this site: No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Atlas , and was surprised at the large number of prohibitions in Florida. Anyone know the rationale here. Is it just too many tourists, beach areas, or what? I hope there are signs posted so I won't make a mistake and try to get a little sleep in the wrong place.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #427
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I know the new (less than 1yr open) Walmart within a few blocks of my home in St Pete, FL, does not allow overnight parking. The St Pete city ordinance is what stops overnight parking, that and the fact that this brand-new Walmart is NOT a super center and doesn't have any extra parking spaces. To be honest, this Walmart has made access to the parking lot almost totally inaccessible to a RV.
I feel certain this ordinance has nothing to do with local campgrounds, since there aren't any campgrounds.
Good luck, maybe being a WBCCI member would be better, since it seems most Airstream campgrounds are very inexpensive.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #428
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
We are planning a trip to Florida. I checked this site: No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Atlas , and was surprised at the large number of prohibitions in Florida. Anyone know the rationale here. Is it just too many tourists, beach areas, or what? I hope there are signs posted so I won't make a mistake and try to get a little sleep in the wrong place.
I feel pretty sure it has to do with usage of campgrounds/income for those vendors vs free parking at WalMart, but I could be wrong.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #429
1 Rivet Member

Many a happy wal mart night...

Walmart is great as far as I'm concerned. Yes there are some walmarts that do not allow overnight parking but as mentioned they are close to some tourist attraction and thus been abused. If you dont see any other rv's in the lot by 8 pm really look for no overnight sign's as it is a tip off that it might be a no parking lot...or go in and ask.
Park with the door to your trailer or MH facing the walmart door as the overhead cameras can help keep you safe. Also I just read that women traveling alone should put a big pair of muddy boots by the door to keep the impression you have a big guy with you.
I do not lower my jacks except for maybe the hitch jack to make the trailer a bit more level for the fridge and I make sure not to damage the pavement. Some walmarts have a mcdonalds inside and I hit the McMuffins hard before starting out...
In my hundreds of walmart nights I only had one time where some guys were looking in the back of my pickup at night...I opened the window and yelled "If I open this trailer door I'm shooting every one I see"!! That thined them out pretty quick.
wasteer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #430
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A friend recently gave me an Ipod recording of a rattlesnake rattling. Now if I can just get a car/Airstream alarm that will set off that sound when anyone touches either!

Paula
Old 03-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #431
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Yahoo Group

There is a Walmart RV Group on Yahoo

walmartrving : WalMart RVing

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #432
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
My first try at a WalMart was in Destin. It was about 11 at night and the State Park was full. We were almost asleep when a knock on the trailer and a voice outside said "You have to Move". (us and about 4 other trailers) Evidently local city restrictions prevent the use of parking lots for overnight camping. They don't want WalMart to take away revenue from the paid camping lots. We got back in the car and drove another 100 miles to another WalMart and spent the night there. Destin lost our money from breakfast, gas and some shopping and I probably won't come back. WalMart has to go with the ordinances we know. But someone else got my money the next day.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #433
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
My first try at a WalMart was in Destin. It was about 11 at night and the State Park was full. We were almost asleep when a knock on the trailer and a voice outside said "You have to Move". (us and about 4 other trailers) Evidently local city restrictions prevent the use of parking lots for overnight camping. They don't want WalMart to take away revenue from the paid camping lots. We got back in the car and drove another 100 miles to another WalMart and spent the night there. Destin lost our money from breakfast, gas and some shopping and I probably won't come back. WalMart has to go with the ordinances we know. But someone else got my money the next day.
If it was a walmart employee warning you he probley saved you from a citation.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #434
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
You are seeing more and more of walmart and other stores adopting this because of local campgrounds complaining of loss of income, the stores are not zoned for camping, too many campers in the lots, people not cleaning up after themselves and leaving trash in the lot, damage to the parking lot surface, and a lawsuit against a walmart because of trailer damage from someone backing into it (didnt know about that last one until the other day when the general manager for our area and I was talking)
This is just some of the reasons, most of it always comes back to money issues.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #435

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
It's not Wal-Mart. Destin has a city ordinance that prohibits camping at the Wal-Mart there. About ten miles east on US 98 is another Wal-Mart in Santa Rosa Beach. It is in another county that does not have such an ordinance.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #436
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by isteer123 View Post
Walmart is great as far as I'm concerned. Yes there are some walmarts that do not allow overnight parking but as mentioned they are close to some tourist attraction and thus been abused. If you dont see any other rv's in the lot by 8 pm really look for no overnight sign's as it is a tip off that it might be a no parking lot...or go in and ask.
Park with the door to your trailer or MH facing the walmart door as the overhead cameras can help keep you safe. Also I just read that women traveling alone should put a big pair of muddy boots by the door to keep the impression you have a big guy with you.
I do not lower my jacks except for maybe the hitch jack to make the trailer a bit more level for the fridge and I make sure not to damage the pavement. Some walmarts have a mcdonalds inside and I hit the McMuffins hard before starting out...
In my hundreds of walmart nights I only had one time where some guys were looking in the back of my pickup at night...I opened the window and yelled "If I open this trailer door I'm shooting every one I see"!! That thined them out pretty quick.
We travel with our Doberman who expects his bedtime walk wherever he is. This serves two purposes: he doesn't get us up in the middle of the night to pee and everyone around knows we have a dog capable of doing his job. In case someone misses the prominent promenade, he has a really deep, serious-sounding bark if anyone is around the truck or trailer in the night. We shush him immediately so we don't disturb others, but the warning has been issued.

We like WM and truck stops when we need to make time; we ask permission, buy breakfast there, and pick up after our Dobie. Never had any trouble. However, we were asked to move on in the middle of the night when we stopped on a lonely back road in exhaustion outside of Jackson Hole, WY. So now we prefer WM or truckstops and permission. I HATE being asked to move when we are already asleep!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #437
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, I read someplace that Destin gets so many campers that the parking lots become overwhelmed. Not my kind of place.

Lynn
Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #438
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
We've logged OVER 50,000 miles pulling our 2010 23FB. We average a bit more than half our nights dry camping. We have never been chased away from any place we parked. Wal-Mart is not high on our list. We'd prefer a lonely church parking lot, or any rural spot over town camping. When we do camp at a Wal-Mart we ask first. One, in Canada, had signs proclaiming "No RV Parking." We asked anyway because we saw a few campers obviously settled in for the night. We were told, "The local RV park owners raised hell and got the city council to put up the signs here and at other large lots. This is private property, and I assure you we will not ask you to move, or have you towed as the sign says." Very clearly the pressure is from RV parks. We hate RV parks and only use them when we have to dump. Best camping is anything National. Get your Geezer pass for half price camping and in places, Amistad Lake near Del Rio, TX the cost is $6.00.
BTW: Use common sense. Don't drop your trailer, roll out the awning, rug and lawn chairs and settle in for a week. Don't litter. It's "overnight" folks. A few can quickly ruin it for everyone.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #439
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
What protocol do you use at church parking lots? Ask if you see someone around? Park late leave early?
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #440
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
What protocol do you use at church parking lots? Ask if you see someone around? Park late leave early?

Find a rural one, not on a Wednesday night or Sunday night.

If there is a parsonage nearby, we keep on going, assuming they would prefer not to look out onto us and our presence would not only be rude but violate our "be unobtrusive" rule.

There are lots of country churches, set back off the road. Easy to pull in and out without disturbing anyone.

River/ferry access roads and fishing pull-offs can be good, if you're small and don't take up too much space.

Seldom do we drive along a river and not spy at least a few places where we could stay for the night. However, seems always to be that when you are looking for a place to spend the night you really have to look.

Maggie