Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #197
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are not close to either of the interstates that run into Atlanta so I wouldn't expect the Wal-Mart in our community to get too many wanting to stay overnight. However, local statute prohibits the practice in our town. There is a police station in the mega-strip shopping center where our Wal-Mart is located so it would be hard to get away with it.

Having said all of that, I went to the Florida State Rally (WBCCI) in February. I considered staying at the Wal-Mart near by for the night before checking in at the rally, but I wouldn't have stayed without shopping and figured I can't get out of Wal-Mart without spending at least $20 and there wasn't anything I really needed so I opted to stay at Rivers State Park about 20 miles from the rally site. It was a great state park and only cost $18 for the night plus I did have a dump station to empty my tanks before heading to the rally...something the Wal-Mart wouldn't have had.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Last year about this time I was on my way to Rochester from Woodstock Ontario had fuel pump problem in Buffalo. I stopped in a Wal- mart parking lot and asked if I could Leave the 325mh overnite, They gladly helped me park ,and the security person said he would keep an eye on it . The staff at this were unreal ,If you get permission they are great!!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Walmart still good choice

This trip was 3 wks+ only stayed at Walmarts 3X all were as good as most CG's for traveling stops with the differences being no utilities but on the other hand very clean bathrooms and better shopping. Last one was just off I85 and the night shift guard circled all night, more light and protection than Ohio State Park CG where we didn't see ranger after checking in for 6 days.
MH makes it easy to use Walmarts as long as we don't need dumping, water or electric. All sites are pull thru, level and paved
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Wink New York, New York

Walmart has been RV friendly for years but RVer's have taken this benifit over the edge by leaving trash - dumping sewage - you name it. We are slowly losing this perk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	84773  
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #201

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Walmart has been RV friendly for years but RVer's have taken this benifit over the edge by leaving trash - dumping sewage - you name it. We are slowly losing this perk!
I, too, am afraid that this perk is going to go away because of abuse by some RVers. We were traveling in New Mexico this spring and observed a group of about five RVs in a Wal Mart parking lot with their awnings and chairs out have a barbque. Of course, they were from Florida!

Wal Marts are for overnighting, not camping!!!!

These abusers suffer from acute cranial rectumitis, and don't realize the outcome of their behavior. I'm afraid that they are about to spoil it for the rest of us. These butt heads will also complain the loudest when when Wal-Mart says "the end".

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #202
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
There are abusers out there among the average RVers, but my feeling is that it may be the homeless living in "hunter's special" RVs who may be the worst problem. We have one in Taos: There with his broken-down Class C practically every morning that I've been down in Taos, using all amenities that Walmart has to offer (namely, the bathroom).

Obviously, we, as a country, have never done exactly the best job of dealing with the homeless, but while ideas are rampant, workable, affordable solutions are hard to come by.

Lynn
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've overnighted at a few Wal-Marts after getting permission from the manager and, so far, it's been good. Typically I just catch a nap, and move on. On my latest trip throughout the Midwest (last two weeks) we opted for state parks. They were reasonably priced and beautiful. After being a park ranger for 25+ years I truly appreciate the security, but provide my own. I can say from experience that high visibility patrol is good (and preferable to most), but if you don't see a ranger it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Something I quickly learned: Most state parks I visited with reservation systems charge, what I consider to be, a rather pricey reservation fee (8.00+). During week days there were plenty of sites available at every park, and drive-ins were welcome. Save the fee if you can. None of it goes to the parks.

Two parks I highly recommend are Graham Cave State Park, near Montgomery City, MO, and Barkcamp State Park, near Belmont OH.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #204
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
...acute cranial rectumitis...
Brian
Brian, way too funny!!!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We just finished a 11 State vacation and stayed at a Wal-Mart several times withut any problems. Usually we will call the Wal-Mart before we arrive to verify if overnight parking is ok. We were only turned down once. On one of the overnight stops we spent $150.00 in the store.

True happeness is a Wal-Mart with Full hookups.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I can not tell you how many times in the past 2 years and 22k miles of towing a walmart has been home, usually coming in around midnight, and leaving early and with significant business to the host. Beats a truck stop anytime!! I never even put my stairs out, just pull in and out and gone. We always stay in rv parks but when the next sales call is just down the road, well, empty black and grey and full fresh water may require our friends from Arkansas to help out American small business prosper.

One that gets me was Park city Utah, we saw campfires, awnings, generators and it was just abuse of the system. No one complained, looked like BLM camping in Quartzite, only all pavement and mountains. I wanted to to say to all of them get real, but was just too tired.

Currently in Pennsylvania, in a walmart parking lot......
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wish I had known about the Walmart in Park City. There's one private campground that charges a lot for crappy sites (all the nice ones are owned by individuals with giant MoHo's) and some state parks pretty far away.

Gene
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I just checked with the mgr of our local WalMart to see if Rv's were still welcome. Because the city in which it is located(on I 70) is Towing Commercial Vehicles off WalMarts lot. I ask about it and was told it was not WalMarts choise. It was a city ordiance. NO PARKING OF COMMERICAL VEHICLES
But I was told RV's are Welcome,"just let us know you are out there"
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #209
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Overnight parking

We are traveling through the Pacific Northwest (home is Cape Cod). We had a problem and needed a place to stay. We found the part we needed at Camping World and I asked them if we could stay in their parking lot for the night. The lady at the cash register said, "Absolutely!" We were one of about a half-dozen rigs parked for the night. Local authorities paid us no mind; we looked like we were lined up for service the next day. Keep Camping World in mind if you need a place to hang out for the night. Dick & Claire
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I overnighted at a CW in Spartanburg, SC. Also, some Cabela's have overnight camping, and some have dump stations.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote