Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #155
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
My Fellow Cheapo Alumilovers,

For a VERY comprehensive website for Free overnighting, including Wal*Mart, go to Jim O'Briant's Overnight RV Parking.

There is a small annual charge [worth it!] to subscribe, but actually can be free if you add something new to the data base. See complete details at the website.
I have no financial interest in the website except as a member/contributer.

If you decide to contribute, be sure to use the form, or it will make Jim a lot of extra work. Form : http://www.overnightrvparking.com/report.php

Also, Check out Jim's LINKS Page: Links and Resources

Happy Trails!

John / N2XBW

N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Quincy , Massachusetts
We are on an express trip to yellowstone nat park and stayed at Wal Marts in Fredonia NY, Peru IL and Worthington Minn. All the managers were very nice and we had to park on the outer edges of the lot. It was handy to be able to run in for food supplies. I would recommend it for anyone traveling fast.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #157
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Gregg,
Way to go! You are now an "Official" Cheapo! And thanks for asking permission. It's just good manners and makes all of us more welcome next time. We always ask, and NEVER "set up camp" or leave any other trace. If I see a security vehicle, I make a point of introducing myself to the officer and thanking him/her in advance for looking out for us. I have never had a problem or a negative reaction from the patrols.

Always find a flat spot so you won't even have to use your jacks. The rule of thumb when parking overnight on a commercial or other free lot, is be ready to drive away at a moment's notice. This also means no slides out unless absolutely necessary. Never use a storm drain for tank dumping. I know, this seems like a no-brainer, but there's no limit to the audacity and stupidity of some travelers. Sheesh!

With the availability of dump stations and good water at so many truck stops and municipalities, it makes little sense to me to pay for or hassel with a campsite while just quickly passing through an area. We only use campsites when absolutely necessary at our destinations, or at very interesting / sceinic spots along the way.

NB: See the reference to the Overnight Camping registry in my post #155 of this thread.

Happy Trails!
John / N2XBW
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #158
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
i have also used the walmart overnight policy.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Used the Walmart in Stevens Point, WI last August. Manager was nice, and it worked out great. It really was Free!

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
New York , New York
It is the truth, he was an RV'r and it was in his will. Also the road atlas they sell has this info in it. Same goes for Cracker Barrels, the ones that have RV parking.
The rule is to park as far away from the store to not take space from shoppers.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #161
Rivet Master

When we're on the road with the wife driving, I use my laptop with GPS and the internet to look ahead for likely overnight parking spots.

Here's how:
I use the GPS and DeLorme Street Atlas mapping program to look ahead for a good-sized town or city likely to have a Wal*Mart.

Then I go to the Wal*Mart website via my cellular connection and find the address of the Wal*Mart store(s) in that town or city.

After that I find the location on the Street Atlas and plot the course for that spot for the night.

Note: There are Street Atlas overlays available for free download that have all Wal*Marts located. I've not found it necessary to do this, but may try it on our next excursion.

Most of the time we overnight at Wal*Marts, but sometimes a quiet shopping plaza or sports venue parking lot is as good. Just keep an eye out for the "looks" of the neighborhood when you pull in. If it LOOKS scary, it probably IS.

John
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #162
1 Rivet Member

Bethesda , Maryland
Walmart RV Parking Policy - 2009

Curious about this topic after reading numerous posts, I decided to check and see if Walmart has an official policy. They do, current on 2/29/09, posted at
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. - Most Frequently Asked Questions

The policy:
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Wal-Mart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
/Roger
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Oyster Bed Bridge , Prince Edward Island
thought

has anyone used their GPS to seek out a campground instead of a Wal-Mart by any chance?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
has anyone used their GPS to seek out a campground instead of a Wal-Mart by any chance?
I have several different GPS units but I have not seen one the lists a significant number of campgrounds in the Points of Interest section. It is probably a idea and a great selling point if one of the GPS makers did.

In the interim I use Google 411 or the Wal Mart atlas to find Wal Mart while on the road.

The problem with staying at a Wal Mart is I spend just as much if not more there then in a campground.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
There are a number of websites that have Points of Interest databases that are easily downloadable into most GPS's - they are great - this is one that I've used to update our GPS with complete databases of WalMart, State Park, National Park, Provincial Park, KOA campgrounds, Good Sam campgrounds and Interstate Rest Area locations - when we are travelling we use these databases almost daily:

POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
Yea, I was wondering that also. WalrusMart is the most disgusting example of corporate herding since McDonald's. Overnight in a parking lot? Man you guys are joking no? Am I psicho or psycho to think I spent 30 grand plus to park there? If I see one of those places, I know I'm on the wrong road. Actually, I was in the Ruidoso example (no parking, really bad customer service as in no open checkout lines and expired vegetables, skip it), but only for dog Jupitor to crap behind the tire center.

I wish I could buy a radio that would not play Led Zeppelin.

COME ON PEOPLE LEAVE THAT PLACE BEHIND THAT'S WHY WE BOUGHT Air!

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #167

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we hit a Wal-Mart parking lot it is because we have driven really late (11 PM or later) and most campgrounds are not easy to get into late at night.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #168
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I kind of agree (and not) with jacarape: Walmart is an awful place. The prices aren't that good, given the shoddy product they carry, and what they do behind the scenes to other merchants is not forgivable. We try to avoid them as best we can. (In a small town like Taos, with few merchants to begin with, sometimes one is forced to shop Walmart, but, again, only if forced to.)

However, if they want to build a big parking lot that I could pull into late at night for a few quick blinks, that's ok by me. I won't spend an unnecessary dime on them otherwise.

But where we usually travel, there aren't any Walmarts, or not ones that I would stay at.

Lynn