Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #201

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Walmart has been RV friendly for years but RVer's have taken this benifit over the edge by leaving trash - dumping sewage - you name it. We are slowly losing this perk!
I, too, am afraid that this perk is going to go away because of abuse by some RVers. We were traveling in New Mexico this spring and observed a group of about five RVs in a Wal Mart parking lot with their awnings and chairs out have a barbque. Of course, they were from Florida!

Wal Marts are for overnighting, not camping!!!!

These abusers suffer from acute cranial rectumitis, and don't realize the outcome of their behavior. I'm afraid that they are about to spoil it for the rest of us. These butt heads will also complain the loudest when when Wal-Mart says "the end".

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #202
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There are abusers out there among the average RVers, but my feeling is that it may be the homeless living in "hunter's special" RVs who may be the worst problem. We have one in Taos: There with his broken-down Class C practically every morning that I've been down in Taos, using all amenities that Walmart has to offer (namely, the bathroom).

Obviously, we, as a country, have never done exactly the best job of dealing with the homeless, but while ideas are rampant, workable, affordable solutions are hard to come by.

Lynn
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've overnighted at a few Wal-Marts after getting permission from the manager and, so far, it's been good. Typically I just catch a nap, and move on. On my latest trip throughout the Midwest (last two weeks) we opted for state parks. They were reasonably priced and beautiful. After being a park ranger for 25+ years I truly appreciate the security, but provide my own. I can say from experience that high visibility patrol is good (and preferable to most), but if you don't see a ranger it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Something I quickly learned: Most state parks I visited with reservation systems charge, what I consider to be, a rather pricey reservation fee (8.00+). During week days there were plenty of sites available at every park, and drive-ins were welcome. Save the fee if you can. None of it goes to the parks.

Two parks I highly recommend are Graham Cave State Park, near Montgomery City, MO, and Barkcamp State Park, near Belmont OH.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #204
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
...acute cranial rectumitis...
Brian
Brian, way too funny!!!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We just finished a 11 State vacation and stayed at a Wal-Mart several times withut any problems. Usually we will call the Wal-Mart before we arrive to verify if overnight parking is ok. We were only turned down once. On one of the overnight stops we spent $150.00 in the store.

True happeness is a Wal-Mart with Full hookups.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I can not tell you how many times in the past 2 years and 22k miles of towing a walmart has been home, usually coming in around midnight, and leaving early and with significant business to the host. Beats a truck stop anytime!! I never even put my stairs out, just pull in and out and gone. We always stay in rv parks but when the next sales call is just down the road, well, empty black and grey and full fresh water may require our friends from Arkansas to help out American small business prosper.

One that gets me was Park city Utah, we saw campfires, awnings, generators and it was just abuse of the system. No one complained, looked like BLM camping in Quartzite, only all pavement and mountains. I wanted to to say to all of them get real, but was just too tired.

Currently in Pennsylvania, in a walmart parking lot......
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #207
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wish I had known about the Walmart in Park City. There's one private campground that charges a lot for crappy sites (all the nice ones are owned by individuals with giant MoHo's) and some state parks pretty far away.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I just checked with the mgr of our local WalMart to see if Rv's were still welcome. Because the city in which it is located(on I 70) is Towing Commercial Vehicles off WalMarts lot. I ask about it and was told it was not WalMarts choise. It was a city ordiance. NO PARKING OF COMMERICAL VEHICLES
But I was told RV's are Welcome,"just let us know you are out there"
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #209
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Overnight parking

We are traveling through the Pacific Northwest (home is Cape Cod). We had a problem and needed a place to stay. We found the part we needed at Camping World and I asked them if we could stay in their parking lot for the night. The lady at the cash register said, "Absolutely!" We were one of about a half-dozen rigs parked for the night. Local authorities paid us no mind; we looked like we were lined up for service the next day. Keep Camping World in mind if you need a place to hang out for the night. Dick & Claire
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I overnighted at a CW in Spartanburg, SC. Also, some Cabela's have overnight camping, and some have dump stations.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #211
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Walmart Overnight parking

I concur with the responses that have been posted. In the past 2 summers since we purchased our Airstream, we have traveled over 20,000 miles. We usually vary our stops on heavy driving days. Walmarts are great quick stops, but I always check with the managers, who sometimes say that the No Overnight Parking sign in the lot is the town's idea, but Walmart is OK with it, and you take the personal risk of the police asking you to move. I have yet to have that happen. If you want to avoid that knock on the door at night, try the truck stops. Fuel up there first and then take a spot - a little noisy at times but OK. On the Ohio Turnpike there are RV spots in the service areas where you can get electric and use a dump station for only $15. After a couple of nights in the "freebee" areas we usually go to a campground for the convenienceof hook-ups for a night. Happy trails!!
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #212
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Has anyone found a consistant chain-wide policy on overnight parking for Lowes and/or Home Depot? Certainly that would give us all several hundred more stopover options!
-JW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
This question has been asked several times. It kinda depends on the local ordinances. Here WalMart has signs up that say No COMMERCIAL VEHICLES and they were towing big rigs parked there. I ask inside and was told its not Walmart's idea.
I ask about RV's and was told "Just come tell us you are out there" They know we more than likely will buy grocery's or something from their store. Not that trucks will not but at least here they are goin to Bob Evans or Sonic to eat.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #214
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Wal-Mart Abuse

This is a bit 'off topic' but needs to be said. We've just returned from a 10,500 mile trip to the Pacific Northwest and are regular Wal-Mart shoppers. We went to restock our pantry yesterday at the Wal-Mart in Plymouth, MA. There were about a dozen RVs parked in the lot at Noon time. Most of them had dropped their dinghys to go off to see the sites. All had their roll outs all the way out. Stabilizers were down without pads. And two of them had their dogs tied up outside barking continuously. Awnings were down and lawn chairs were out. Maybe I missed the sign but I don't think Wal-Mart is running a campground! This sort of abuse will lead to loss of privilege.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick&claire View Post
This is a bit 'off topic'.
NOT off topic, it is core to keeping the priviledge. Topic of title, it is parking not camping. When I ask manager, I always use the term overnight parking. I have had a couple verify "you will be leaving in the morning" and that they will notify the night patrol.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #216

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I wholeheartedly agree. When we overnight at a Wal-Mart, we always stop late, and leave early. That's the whole point in stopping at a Wal-Mart or a truck stop in the first place. When we do this, we are trying to make time and get to our destination, not camp in a parking lot. We always tell the management that we will be there for a few hours, and thank them for the privilege.

I, too, have seen many RVers actually 'camped' at Wal-Mart. I find this behavior personally embarrassing. on several occasions, I have gone on down the road, not wanting to be associated with these irresponsible people.

These cheap skates are going to eventually ruin it for the rest of us. And when this happens, the very jerks who ruined it will complain the loudest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #217
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am going to be staying at a Wal-Mart in the future in Manchester Tn. I called them and they were very nice and welcomed me. I will get there about 10:00 at night and will sleep until about 4:00 A.M.

Work all day leave at night and get in about 3 hours driving then crash for about 6 hours and leave. There is a truck stop across the road from the Wal-Mart. I am going to see if it has a shower.

Brian
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #218
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Brian,

I sure hope you get some recreation out of your travel.

Happy trails - Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We just got back tonight on our 900 mile round trip to our retirement property. We made Wal-mart at 10:00 P.M. in Manchester Tn. and parked next to another RV and truckers. Very clean parking lot with security. Since I was up at 4:45 A.M. early for work and did not get home until 5:30 P.M> I had no problems sleeping. I plugged my CPAP into an inverter and I was out. I was up at 5:00 A.M and we hit the road 5:30. We have dogs so we had to do a couple of pit stops on our travel. We got to our property at 10:00 A.M. That gave us all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to enjoy the property. WE left at 8:00 A.M. Today and drove 450 miles back. It was worth it.

Brian
Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Last night I was unable to sleep. I had planned to go to WalMart in the morning - but it's open all night so I just went at about 2am. As I was pulling in I saw a small moho opening up their slide in preparation to finish the night there.

This particular WalMart is signed "no overnight parking" I've even been questioned for parking there 20 minutes while getting groceries and putting them in my A/S.

I walked over to the moho - and told them about the signs, advised them that at the very least they should keep the slide in, and told them where two close by campgrounds were located. I got the finger for my trouble; so I walked away and got my groceries. Imagine my delight when I came out to find the local constabulary writing the LIVID moho owner a ticket. (I SWEAR I didn't call the police.) The other RV owner apparently just got a warning because he wasn't camping, he was shopping.

So... check for the signs... ask the manager... buy some groceries, water, or toilet paper at least. LOOK like you're parked, not camped!

Paula