Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Wal-Mart Was a Tad Creepy

On our last night out we decided to try a stay at WalMart because it was just a midway stop on the drive home and we figured why not save some money. Our first choice was a WM in Mountain View, Ca. We got there at 3pm and it was in the middle of a huge mall with a million cars. There wasn't even an empty parking spot let alone one long enough for the trailer. We googled up the next one in Santa Rosa and headed north. (pulling the AS through San Francisco traffic for the first time was a real treat!).

We got to SR at 6PM and first we discovered that the entire lot was for compact cars and even using two we were 5 feet hanging out. So we went to the far side along a greenbelt and parked along that curb. There was no other RV in the lot. When it got dark it got a bit creepy. Cars driving around, and strange noises etc. It was New Years eve and lots of fireworks and such going off too. Around 2am a MoHo drove in and parked in front of us. What I realized about a trailer is that you can't just fire up the engine and take off. You have to get OUT first! LOL.

I know it is irrational, but we felt a little exposed. I expected there would be half a dozen other campers. We didn't sleep well!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds like it might have been worth the forty or so dollars. Although, near San Fran, I wonder what an RV park charges...?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
I never understood the Walmart thing anyway. Camping in a parking lot with all the pitfalls you mention instead of paying $20 or $30 for a full service site with nice settings and amenities. Just doesn't make sense to me.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The nicest thing about an Airstream is you can camp anywhere. I bet Golden Gate Park would had been spectacular. I find a wide spot in the road more comforting than a Walmart parking lot. Many love to use them. Some will tell you why shortly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We've done WalMart once in Missouri with no problem. We did Flying J in Kentucky one time and will never do it again because of the noise.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You think it's kreepy outside....try shopping.

Bob
Old 01-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
The nicest thing about an Airstream is you can camp anywhere. I bet Golden Gate Park would had been spectacular. I find a wide spot in the road more comforting than a Walmart parking lot. Many love to use them. Some will tell you why shortly.
Camping in Golden Gate Park? I don't think so, even if there was a campground. There is a campground in The Presidio, and an overnighter there will cost you $100, but you'd have to leave the Airstream outside the campground.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
think outside the box a little... Anywhere you park it you can camp in it. I said not one word about a campground.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I never understood the Walmart thing anyway. Camping in a parking lot with all the pitfalls you mention instead of paying $20 or $30 for a full service site with nice settings and amenities. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Assuming you can find a campground--any campground, nice or otherwise, somewhere nearby. Most Wal Marts are near interstate highway exits and are well lit and well marked. Pretty inviting when it's getting dark and the campground directories reveal no campgrounds for many miles around.

Admittedly, not all Wal Marts are created equal as campgrounds. Many have plenty of parking and a gaggle of RVs in one corner or another. We came across one Wal Mart in Michigan that had a separate area of the parking lot, surrounded by trees, specifically for RV parking! (We were just stopping to buy some stuff and didn't stay.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Olema or Russian River are great locations to linger while you meander. The tight little campground at Olema has the added advantage of a great restaurant at the Olema Inn. Point Reyes. Armstrong Redwoods at Guerneville.

Where's the Russian River campground that has hosted a lot of AIR rallys?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We've Walmarted it a few times in our travels. While they have not been the highlight of our travels they certainly haven't been a dark spot either. Actually sort of neutral about them. Have not had any spooky experiences at them either. Yeah, sometimes there's the loud vacuum cleaner early in the AM. Maybe the lights bother me a bit but nothing more than that. Haven't tried the Flying J's yet and have not done any roadside rest areas yet. Not sure I'm that adventurous.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
After twenty-something years of full timing, I'd say AVOID those places. Tire stores are much better if you're in late and out early in the morning. Over the years, we've learned to not push it into the darkness. Big deal, find a KOA and relax in security.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The Bay Area isn't RV friendly, and I'm unsure whether one can park an RV anywhere overnight on the street (especially, if it's occupied).

The closest RV resort that I know if is in Pacifica, about 15 miles south of SF:

San Francisco RV Resort | Park your RV on the Cliffs overlooking the Pacific Coastline

I think it's about $65 per night this time of year. There's another one at Candle Stick Park, but I haven't heard any good comments about that part of town. It probably isn't much better than what you describe. Although, I think they lock the place down at night.

There's also a KOA in Petaluma that is OK, and it's about $60. However, it's about 40 miles north of SF, over the Golden Gate Bridge.

San Francisco North / Petaluma KOA | Camping in California | KOA Campgrounds

If anyone knows of any better places near SF or Fremont, please let us know. I know that I'd sure appreciate some advice on RV camping in the Bay Area.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
And there's the Petrified Forest, but no hook-ups!
just kidding!!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have overnighted at Wal-Marts and truck stops many times over the years. Some are better than others. We have felt safe at all of them, and have never had a problem. Sometimes we have been with a number of other RVers, and sometimes we have been the only RV there.

When we stay at a Wal-Mart it is most often a short night when we have driven fairly late. Campgrounds don't usually work out very well when we arrive late at night. On our recent trip to Maine, we stayed at quite a few Wal-Marts. Most campgrounds north of Virginia are closed after Labor Day, so it's Wal-Mart or nothing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Olema or Russian River are great locations to linger while you meander. The tight little campground at Olema has the added advantage of a great restaurant at the Olema Inn. Point Reyes. Armstrong Redwoods at Guerneville.

Where's the Russian River campground that has hosted a lot of AIR rallys?
Welcome to Casini Ranch Family Campground

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
We've done WalMart once in Missouri with no problem. We did Flying J in Kentucky one time and will never do it again because of the noise.
I guess it's what you're used to. I'd never stay overnight at a Walmart, but wouldn't think twice about staying at a Flying J. In fact, we have overnighted many times at Flying J's.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
And there's the Petrified Forest, but no hook-ups!
just kidding!!
And no shade!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
There's quite a few on Google. I intend to do some of them when visiting the area, since it's where I'm from and my family still lives there.

A friend of mine stayed at the Marin RV park and liked it, but I didn't pay much attention to what he said about it, to my chagrin now!

Oh, and someone mentioned the Elks RV parking in San Jose is good, if you're an Elks member.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The Bay Area isn't RV friendly, and I'm unsure whether one can park an RV anywhere overnight on the street (especially, if it's occupied).
If anyone knows of any better places near SF or Fremont, please let us know. I know that I'd sure appreciate some advice on RV camping in the Bay Area.
I'm not sure of the legality, but there are several RVs parked for months at a time near my work on Agnews Boulevard in Santa Clara. Some are clearly occupied at times.

Typing rv park into google maps in the SF Bay area returns lots of hits; I don't know how good any of them are as it's right near home.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote