Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The only time anyone has knocked on our door while at a Wal-Mart, was in Bloomsburg, PA, where we were going to attend a rally. We got there too late to check in at the rally. We were just getting back from asking permission to park, which we always do, and had no sooner shut the door when we heard a knock. Turned out to be a trucker who just wanted to see the Bambi.

He had a great story about his Uncle Ken on the west coast, who saved for several years and bought an Airstream as soon as he retired. He recalled how excited his uncle was when he exclaimed that he had "finally arrived". He wanted to see what his uncle was so excited about, and said he now understands.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
When you see that a Wal-Mart does not allow overnighting in their parking lot, it is never Wal-Mart, it is a local city or county ordinance that prohibits it. These local ordinances are most often promulgated by local campground interests.
Brian
Very true. A few years ago we stopped by a Wal-Mart near Ocean City, MD, which is a very touristy area. We weren't towing at the time, but noticed these signs:
Attached Images

WDCU
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Here's an example of an RVer's dilemma: As I posted a couple of years ago on another thread (and took some flak for it), I have found it much less embarrassing, when overnighting at Walmart, to arrive and depart under the cover of darkness. But, paying a WAY overpriced KOA (stands for Kamp Of Awful), for a short enroute stay, makes me feel stupid!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #116
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

capt,

Agree...

A destination Vacation, paying to stay 1 nite just doesn't make much sense for US, other's maybe not so.

A random trip with few time restraints why not try an unfamiliar campground, rest area or remote overlook... still no WM or "resort's" for us though.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #117

1994 25' Excella
Redwood City , California
You chose a great park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
Just returned from Oakland, CA, visiting our son and his family for the holidays. We stayed at Chabot Regional Park, $30 per night with hook ups, $20 without. This was the first time ever we used hookups, second time we used electricity. We stayed 10 days and it was great, 8 miles from downtown Oakland and the campground is on the lake in a Eucalyptus grove. I don't think I will use the full service sites in the future, and pay $10 a day for sewage when there is a free dump station onsite, but it was nice nonetheless. Reservations recommended. Great hiking, biking, and a gun club nearby. Anthony Chabot Regional Park | East Bay Regional Park District.
You chose well. Chabot Regional Park has a lot to offer: great hiking and biking, a stable nearby for riding, a golf course, a lake, redwoods and oaks. As long as you watch out for the poison oak, Chabot is a great place to spend time!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post

I know it is irrational, but we felt a little exposed. I expected there would be half a dozen other campers. We didn't sleep well!
Know how you feel. Last October we found ourselves in a wooded campground. There was only one other camper and they were at the other end of the campground about a klm away. Anyway about 300' from where we were there was a movie production on location. They were filming the new movie "The Barrens", a horror flick about the legendary New Jersey devil.

A little irrational yes but sleeping was a challenge that night to say the least.

Movie info "The Barrens"... Bloody Disgusting Horror - "The Barrens" Movie Info, Review, Headlines, Gallery
Old 02-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
KOAs are OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I have found it much less embarrassing, when overnighting at Walmart, to arrive and depart under the cover of darkness. But, paying a WAY overpriced KOA (stands for Kamp Of Awful), for a short enroute stay, makes me feel stupid!
We have done many one night stops at both Wal Marts and KOAs--a lot more KOAs than Wal Marts.

If it's getting dark and no campgrounds nearby, a Wal Mart often makes a good overnight refuge, and they are located close to major highways. Unfortunately we have found more and more municipalities passing laws against overnight parking.

But if we are following our usual rule of trying to get into a campground before dark and relaxing a while, there are many campgrounds close to highways and KOAs are often so. On average I have not found them to be overpriced--they have to compete in the same market as other campgrounds in the neighborhood--and I do believe KOA maintains an above-average quality level.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I would have to agree,we stay at alot of KOA'S and even have a camp card which saves us 10% off our bill. KOA'S are a great place to stay 1 or even 2 days. They are safe and clean,and they have very freindly people that run them. It strange to me that we who owe AS that are the most expensive camper out there complain about a $25.00 to $30.00 full hook up camp spot. Come on!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
I would have to agree,we stay at alot of KOA'S and even have a camp card which saves us 10% off our bill. KOA'S are a great place to stay 1 or even 2 days. They are safe and clean,and they have very freindly people that run them. It strange to me that we who owe AS that are the most expensive camper out there complain
about a $25.00 to $30.00 full hook up camp spot. Come on!!!
No one is complaining about a $25 to $30 full hookup. I am complaing about a $25 to $30 5 hour rest stop.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
... It strange to me that we who owe AS that are the most expensive camper out there complain about a $25.00 to $30.00 full hook up camp spot. Come on!!!

Although, I can't remember ever paying that little, I have stayed at quite a few KOA campgrounds, and would agree that $25-$30 per night isn't unreasonable for the hook ups and amenities they provide.

Please consider that some use their Airstream for reasons other than camping. We love to camp, and have pulled the Airstream tens of thousands of miles to do just that. When we camp, it's usually in a campground, preferably a nice state or federal park without all the extraneous bling. But, many times our AS is a rolling hotel room that we take from point A to point B, and all we need is a few hours sleep. All the amenities we need are contained therein.

Yep, Airstreams sure are expensive, and we saved for 6 years until we could afford to pay cash for a new Bambi. If we threw down $25-$30-$40... every time we needed to pull over and take a nap on the road, I think we'd still be saving.
WDCU
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #123
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
No one is complaining about a $25 to $30 full hookup. I am complaing about a $25 to $30 5 hour rest stop.

Whacked that rivet.....what's a koa?

We kamp our Airstream here...clean restrooms, friendly folks, quiet, even a special place to walk "Fado".

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07333.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	151220  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we tried to stay at two different Wal-Marts, one in Oregon and the other in Utah; Both had signs saying that we can't stay there. As for the KOA's my opinion on this forum, got me a lot of heat, but I still feel the same. We now look for Good Sam camp grounds and have been much happier.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #125
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We look for Passport America participating campgrounds when we are looking for an overnight place. With 50% off we spend between $12 and $15 for a spot. Most have full hookups and some have cable TV. Paid $44 last June for membership and have saved more then twice that so far.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Also a member.

We are also a member of Good Sam Clubs and they also have great places to stay inroute.