Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #71
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think you freaked on what might had been an experience of a life time. The Holy Ghost People are quickly disappearing and you might had witnessed something soon to be only something of tales. The Lord moves in many ways, who says I am right and others are wrong. Why not experience it all?
The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is the Attitude.
anything having to do with rattlesnakes should be avoided at all costs...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #72
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Watch all six and you might learn a little somethin....
http://youtu.be/_nX0irC4Bgs

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Thanks, I'll pass on experiencing the rattlesnakes. Really.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I know in Florida they actually closed some rest areas down due to crime and late night bodily transactions. I wouldn't spend much time at night unless they have a guard on duty.
Is that darn Congressman loose again?!?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
Is that darn Congressman loose again?!?
Hey, In Illinois, we keep our politicians in jail where they can't roam the rest areas!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Sometimes it just isn't worth "Free"

Our worst, and best, experiences occurred in single night. During our Great American Road Trip 2009, I had planned to spend the night at a Flying J in Albuquerque, NM after a long day of driving. It must be located under the final approach to the airport, as there were constant low-flying jets. That coupled with the truck noise/shower announcements, and finally the diesel pusher that parked four feet away with engine running, ran us out after about 2 hrs. So, I'm driving through Albuquerque around midnight when I see a Cracker Barrel sign......aah, a place to rest my head. After winding our way to the restaurant, we park and then realize......this place is kinda in a strange downtown location, and there is absolutely no sign of life anywhere. So, out with the iPhone to find the nearest Super Walmart.....plug the address into Ms. Garmin and another adventure begins. After numerous twists, and "recalculating" announcements we arrive at Walmart, having toured some neighborhoods that I don't want to return to. Fortunately, we were reassured by other RV's in the parking lot and managed to get a few hours sleep.

Now, for a weird thing. The next morning we decided to return to the afore mentioned Cracker Barrel for breakfast. When we walked in at 6:00 AM, we were the only customers. When we walked out at around 7:15 AM, we were still the only customers. I asked the lady about that, and she said that the day before they had not had the first customer until around 8:00. I have never seen a Cracker Barrel that did not have a large breakfast crowd.....was beginning to think that I had entered the Twilight Zone!

Of course, after a sleep-deprived night and a load of grease and carbs, I didn't make it too far out-of-town before I had to have a nap......at a Rest Area with the sign "Beware of Rattlesnakes." But, I have to tell you.......that did not keep me awake!

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #77
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Chief,

Look at poor "Fado's" expression....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Thanks...but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Watch all six and you might learn a little somethin....
http://youtu.be/_nX0irC4Bgs
I am assuming it's about snakes and I know all I need to know which is to AVOID them and respect their abilities. I'm good with the rest, really I am. I'm sure they have magnificent abilities and reasons for being. I've almost been bitten by a rattlesnake and a cotton mouth.... my brother got bit by a Copper head. So yeah.. I'm good.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
And if you are afraid of snakes, watch out for Snakes on a Plane!

Gene
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
Well I'll start of the new day. I'm not stopping at Wallyworld again. Ever!

They were just plain rude. I stopped and parked next to all the palm trees lined up next to the garden area because it gave me some shade. I did run over a few other plants but what the heck, Wallyworld can afford it. After putting out the slides, awning and jacks I made a drink and got out my lawn chairs. I then noticed a power cord attached to the fountain so I got out my 3 way and hooked up my coach and turned on the air. Ah, life is good. I then saw a picnic table that looked good so I pulled it over and set it up. I figured it would be a good place to hold my grill. The wife brought out some hot dogs and I started grilling. Darn things burst open spilling grease everywhere and the smoke was unbearable so I grabbed the hose laying there and put it all out and made another drink. I didn't think the blacktop would burn.

The next thing you know some snotty nose kid with a Walmart tag comes by and asks "what are ya doin?" I tell him I'm camping what the heck does it look like I'm doing? He gives me a dirty look and leaves. I had to make a double to calm my nerves.

Since the food was ruined The DW called in the store to see if they would bring out some fried chicken to us. Nope, no way! What? Here we are their guests and they won't even bring out food? I gave them a piece of my mind and made another drink.

The next thing you know some "manager type" comes out and says we have to pay for the picnic table with all the grease on it and we have to leave! Well let me tell you I told him so shove it and I'm not leaving until I talk to his manager or the owner of the store. The nerve of some people, I had to make another drink

Awhile later some guy shows up in what looks like PJ's and tells me to leave. No employee card, no suit no nothing saying HE was the manager. I tell him "I was born at night but not tonight". Buzz off and I made another drink after waving my 357 at him.

I then put on some rock and roll on my outside speakers to ease the pain and made another drink but a bunch of stuck up RV people came by and complained. Seems they like to go to sleep at 11pm so I guess they can wake me up at 10am with all their loud noise and nonsense.

The next thing I know the cops arrive and arrest me! Now I know my rights and so I tell them Sam Walton invited me! They don't seem to care... They probably don't even know who Sam is...

The cops also made a BIG deal out of me dumping my tanks in the grate next to my MH. I told them that those grates are for drainage and believe me my tanks needed draining. (idiots)

I've never met more inconsiderate, rude and un-agreeable people in all my life. So that's it for Wallyworld for me. From now on I'm going to camp somewhere else!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #81
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
I'm going to camp somewhere else!
Good luck at the slab, we've seen your long Wallyworld post before.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #82
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, ever consider writing for J Peterman?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
you guys are killing me.....

at least post the OP for the text you use or give credit somewhere.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #84
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Ok. So I'll give our only experience at Wallyworld. We were driving from Garryowen, MT to Coram (near Glacier NP). We had planned to stay at a BLM campground midway between the two but their was only one spot and we didn't fit. So we decided to try for a campground further up the road. In Helena, we saw the Walmart with a few RVs in the lot. We decided to join them instead of paying for a campground a mile up the road. We pulled in and parked under a light. After unhitching, unloading the dogs, getting the misc equipment out of the trailer (not joking), we headed inside to eat at subway.

After doing some shopping and walking the dogs, we settled in for the night. After becoming accustomed to the light and the customers coming and going we started to drift off... that was then the loud repetitive noise started. Some kids were out shooting guns somewhere near by.....next time we will take the campground a mile up the road.

TAC OK-42

]