Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Volunteer for Missionaries of Charity

When my wife and I drove through Gallup, NM on our way to Arizona a few weeks ago, we stopped there for a few days and helped some nuns from Mother Teresa's order who run a homeless shelter for men. They need more volunteer workers.

I highly recommend this stop for practicing Roman Catholic couples who drive through New Mexico along I-40. This is sort of like a "working retreat." Someone can talk to you for 5 hours about compassion, but I guarantee you that you'll learn more about compassion actually working with these sisters and the homeless men than any amount of talk.

These sisters are mostly from India but the superior is from Washington state. They truly make you feel like they are a light of Jesus Christ, just like Mother Teresa. Although this is work, it seems an honor to be allowed to work with them and for them. They even invite you to accompany them into their little chapel for afternoon prayers. You will be filled with joy to observe how these Mother Teresa type women live and work and pray. Personally, I came to really like providing services for the men in need. After, they are what the whole mission is about.

I'd be happy to provide more information if an interested party wants to call me at 505-670-1975. I do not represent the sisters in an official capacity. My interest is in answering questions and pointing you in the right direction.

mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
"Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love than in your own weakness."

Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
if i may note... as a practicing atheist... this seems like a great opportunity for any airstreamer , not just roman catholics
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
yes, just not for Catholics

Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
if i may note... as a practicing atheist... this seems like a great opportunity for any airstreamer , not just roman catholics
Yes, I do not believe you need to be a Catholic. As a matter of fact, Mondays are a heavy duty cleaning day. The sisters wash over 40 sets of bed linens by hand. I noted that two non-Catholic Christians volunteered to help that day. I only mentioned Catholics because the sisters invite volunteers to daily Mass and prayers, something practicing Catholics would be more likely to participate in and value. But I am quite certain that non-believers of almost any type would be welcome as volunteers.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote