Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Lightbulb Visualization

Whenever I am faced with a challenge that I haven't encountered before, I agonize for hours visualizing how I will do it and imagining all the things that can go wrong.
Anyway, I live at the end of a long, narrow, steep gravel driveway (1/2 mile long) that ends in a circle in front of my house with a stone retaining wall on the arc opposite my house. My biggest anxiety when buying my new Airstream was whether I'd be able to drive it around the arc and not scrape the retaining wall so that I could park it in front of my garage. I had traded a 28 foot Winnebago that I could drive around the arc but couldn't with the toad attached so I would have to unhook the towed vehicle before attempting the turn.
Because of this I almost bought a smaller trailer but we really like the Flying Cloud 28 which is just large enough to accommodate me, my ever lovin' and our two dogs - an oversized Alaskan Husky (80 pounds) and a flat coated retriever (70 pounds). In the end we bit the bullet and became the proud owners of the FC 28.
We got it in Tampa where we had gone for some R&R during the cold Ohio winter and rather than bringing it back home, left it at the Airstream Park in Pensacola.
Well, last week we went down to bring our baby home, stopping along the way in Birmingham to see my son and having the "I am an idiot" experience of trying to hook up with the stabilizers down (which has generated a thread with it seems a life of its own).
Anyway, all the way home from there, I agonized over reaching our driveway and getting stuck unable to make the turn and having to back all the way back down. My wonderful wife Aileen, St. Patience herself, stayed calm and reassuring which only made me more anxious. I actually couldn't sleep the night before at the campground in Kentucky, our last stop before home.
Anyway, we got home and zipped up the driveway (brushing by the pine trees that reached out their arms for the silver bullet) and got to the point of no return when with yards (OK maybe inches) to spare, around the circle we went ending up in perfect position to back down into the spot where I wished to park and to my amazement found it to be nice and level.
So once again I worried over nothing and again recognize the Nike wisdom of "Just do it".
That is until the next challenge.

whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Whenever I am faced with a challenge that I haven't encountered before, I agonize for hours visualizing how I will do it and imagining all the things that can go wrong." Planning ahead is a good thing, but agonizing over it might be a bit too much. I've heard of people taking a motor home to a place where it is easy to see the tire marks and attaching markers at each corner so they could see exactly how much space their coach takes when turning as tightly as possible. Since you have already made the curve you have at least some information about how much room you need to turn.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote