Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Visiting D.C.

I am planing on doing a visit into D.C. I do not want to drive in the city. What I had in mind was parking as far outside of the city as makes sense and ride the metro in. What I need is local advice.

• I will be coming in on I 66
  • Picking up family at Regan National
  • Will be in town several nights so secure overnight parking needs to be part of the plan.
Would I be better off gutting it out and driving into the airport and using long-term parking there?

Thanks in advance!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Will you have the Airstream in tow?

I found a good solution, not too far south from DC, to camp (no hook ups) and have a safe place for my trailer near the Quantico base off of 95. From there I could drive to Rt. 234 that hooks up with 66. Let me know if this is would be something you are considering and I can supply more info.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Will you have the Airstream in tow?

I found a good solution, not too far south from DC, to camp (no hook ups) and have a safe place for my trailer near the Quantico base off of 95. From there I could drive to Rt. 234 that hooks up with 66. Let me know if this is would be something you are considering and I can supply more info.

Not on this trip, but I would be interested for future reference.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You can park at my house. I live 45 minutes from the Whitehouse.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
You probably know this, but Reagan National is pretty much "in the city." Could you pick up family by just meeting them in person at the airport, and then everyone takes the Metro together further into the city - or do you need to have the car with you there?

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
You probably know this, but Reagan National is pretty much "in the city." Could you pick up family by just meeting them in person at the airport, and then everyone takes the Metro together further into the city - or do you need to have the car with you there?

Tom
That is my plan Tom. Actually, I was thinking about trying to park outside the city and take public transportation in if that is workable. The extended cab F250 isn't optimal for city driving, esp when you don't know the city.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Rodney,

National (Regan) is my favorite way to go into DC because it is on the Metro. Once you make it to the Metro, there is no need for any other form of transportation till you get out in the suburbs. Besides the trains, they have bus service that covers even greater area. It's a great system.

You can download maps and check out current conditions at their website: Metro - Home page

DC is a great place to visit. Keep in mind that all the Smithsonians are free admission, including the National Zoo.

Have a great trip!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The Metro will get you around the city just fine. Driving in DC is bad, but parking is almost impossible.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Clarification

Thanks for all the responses, but let me clarify. What I am trying to figure out is how far out can I park with overnight parking? OR should I park at Regan?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Get some maps on-line to help with your planning.
Consider parking at a Metro lot in VA or MD and taking the Metro train into town for day trips. I don't think they allow overnight parking at the Metro lots. Check the maps and ask questions.

Driving in the city is not too bad, and there are public lots away from the main areas. But city underground parking is expensive (maybe $20) depends on location.
Parking meters have time limits and if you park on a rush-hour street it could be a $100 ticket. Read the signs carefully. Scout the area.
Free parking on the Mall but only for 2 hours and then you have to move it.

Enjoy it & Good luck.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
You could park your truck at the Vienna/Fairfax Metro Station and ride in. Take the orange line to Rosslyn and change to the blue line and take it to Reagan. Parking at Reagan is a parking deck and might be difficult to park in as it is rather tight and has sharp turns.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Not on this trip, but I would be interested for future reference.

The place is actually a forest. Called Prince William Forest Park in VA.. There are 2 places to camp. One inside the forest, and one just outside. The one outside the forest is a private campground with full hook ups and rows of motor homes and trailers side by side.

The one run by the forest service is the one we stayed at last Fall which is located a few miles in the forest area. There is a water spigot for potable water near the rest rooms. There are a couple of showers in the restrooms and it was a well kept facility. The site I picked was large enough so I didn't need to unhook to camp (if I choose). My entire rig is 50' long. All the sites were different, and there is lot to choose from.
There was a campground host at the entrance of the campground along with a pay box and posting board. A lot of sites are spaced far apart, which was a pleasant surprise.
Lots of bike and hike trails. Very few people actually camping. Most people use the day use areas for hiking and biking and leave in the evening.
The forest service cuts down dead trees and leaves the wood within the campground in an open field. We were told to help ourselves. It is not split, but it's free.
Almost forgot there is no electricity. Gens are OK during certain hours. We were gone a good portion of the time during the day checking the place out so we didn't notice. After a few days with cold nights my solar panels were not enough to keep the batteries charged because of cloudy days and the tree canopy over the trailer. A generator is on my wish list for next time, so I can stay longer.
I give this place a thumbs up.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Thanks for all the responses, but let me clarify. What I am trying to figure out is how far out can I park with overnight parking? OR should I park at Regan?
Likewise, I should have been a bit clearer in my reply above. I was wondering (and you confirmed) that it would be OK if you didn't drive to Reagan. After all, by the time you've made it to Reagan, you've dealt with a lot of traffic already. (The last hotel valet I used in DC was $35 a night, and my work Flex barely fit, much less a F-250.)

Just to throw another idea out there - could you take Amtrak into DC? You'd have to balance the ticket fee vs the cost of parking at the airport. But the parking might be more secure at a small-town Amtrak station than at the airport.

I keep going into DC on business and have been pleasantly surprised at the number of different ways to get in and out. Even found a relatively tolerable "sneak route" into Penn Quarter if I drive from up North...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I guess I missed something. Since you said you planned on staying for a few days why don't you park where you are staying?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I guess I missed something. Since you said you planned on staying for a few days why don't you park where you are staying?

I'm staying in the middle of town, don't want to drive in it and DEFINITELY do not want to get into shoehorning my F250 into a tiny spot.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
There is multi day parking available at the south end of the blue line of the Metro. Metro - Rail - Parking

Parking at Fairfax Station is only until the last run of the day.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This doesn't answer any of your questions, but maybe another time it'll be useful. We stayed at an art deco hotel near Dupont Circle (Metro stop) in January, 2000. The suites were large and with kitchens, the prices reasonable—$60 or 70 a night. It may have been upgraded by now and cost a lot more. I believe it was the Carlyle Suites Hotel. They had about 7 or 8 parking spots in the rear and we were lucky to get one and left the truck there while we in town.

I thought Washington was easy to drive around in, but I enjoy driving in Manhattan, so I may not be typical.

There wasn't much in the way of security stuff when we were there, but it may be very different now. I don't know if anyone but school kids can see the inside of the White House anymore.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Rodney,

Glad you got the PM. You let me know or call.

One that many people forget is "Dulles Airport". You can park at Dulles (rates are lower, big trucks fit, I own a Ford 4x4, Crew, 8' and park there all the time) and take what is called the "Washington Flyer"(a bus) to Reagan and then grab the Metro.
Takes a little more time but far less stressful for people like yourself.

For me, I run the truck or the Excursion into DC all the time. The parking at Union Station is also setup for big rigs but that's only if you want to have some fun and run over the Smart Cars.

Enjoy,
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
DC loves their SUVs. I wouldn't worry about driving a truck into the city.

I think your best option is to park at the airport. National is not hard to get to, Dulles is fine, too. You can park at Metro but I think your vehicle will be safer at the airport.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Follow GOAL15's advice above. Park at the Franconia Springfield metro station. They have a special large outdoor parking lot for RVs. You should be able to stay overnight there. If not, there is a Wal-Mart within 2 miles; here is the address:
5800 Kingstowne Ctr
Alexandria, VA 22315

They will let you stay overnight.

I live 1.5 miles from the Franconia metro station and know lots about getting around in DC.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote