Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #15

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I guess I missed something. Since you said you planned on staying for a few days why don't you park where you are staying?

I'm staying in the middle of town, don't want to drive in it and DEFINITELY do not want to get into shoehorning my F250 into a tiny spot.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
There is multi day parking available at the south end of the blue line of the Metro. Metro - Rail - Parking

Parking at Fairfax Station is only until the last run of the day.

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This doesn't answer any of your questions, but maybe another time it'll be useful. We stayed at an art deco hotel near Dupont Circle (Metro stop) in January, 2000. The suites were large and with kitchens, the prices reasonable—$60 or 70 a night. It may have been upgraded by now and cost a lot more. I believe it was the Carlyle Suites Hotel. They had about 7 or 8 parking spots in the rear and we were lucky to get one and left the truck there while we in town.

I thought Washington was easy to drive around in, but I enjoy driving in Manhattan, so I may not be typical.

There wasn't much in the way of security stuff when we were there, but it may be very different now. I don't know if anyone but school kids can see the inside of the White House anymore.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Glad you got the PM. You let me know or call.

One that many people forget is "Dulles Airport". You can park at Dulles (rates are lower, big trucks fit, I own a Ford 4x4, Crew, 8' and park there all the time) and take what is called the "Washington Flyer"(a bus) to Reagan and then grab the Metro.
Takes a little more time but far less stressful for people like yourself.

For me, I run the truck or the Excursion into DC all the time. The parking at Union Station is also setup for big rigs but that's only if you want to have some fun and run over the Smart Cars.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
DC loves their SUVs. I wouldn't worry about driving a truck into the city.

I think your best option is to park at the airport. National is not hard to get to, Dulles is fine, too. You can park at Metro but I think your vehicle will be safer at the airport.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Follow GOAL15's advice above. Park at the Franconia Springfield metro station. They have a special large outdoor parking lot for RVs. You should be able to stay overnight there. If not, there is a Wal-Mart within 2 miles; here is the address:
5800 Kingstowne Ctr
Alexandria, VA 22315

They will let you stay overnight.

I live 1.5 miles from the Franconia metro station and know lots about getting around in DC.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I know you're just looking for a place to park so this may be off the wall, but consider Greenbelt National Park Campground. It's only $16 per night ($8 if you're a senior). No hookups, but is only 13 miles from the White House, just off the beltway. Best park in town. Should be plenty of room this time of year. They have rangers, and the National Park Police also have a HQ there, so it's secure.

Greenbelt Park - Greenbelt Park Campground (U.S. National Park Service)

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote