Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Visit Idaho

The weather is great, the roads are open and clear, so come on over.
I just spent a week in central Idaho, and all is well. We have had a little hi temps, but things are getting a little cooler.
The area near Mackay, Arco and Salman ids very scenic. A few pics to follow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mackay.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2543  
Old 08-04-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Visit Idaho

All our Air is clean and very fresh..

Idaho has been having a 4 year drought.
The Mackay lake is alittle low but the fish are biting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mackay lake1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2544  
Old 08-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, Frank, that's real purdy out your way

What's that mountain range in the background?

We keep meaning to head out to Idaho. We've never really been east of Walla Walla, but we've heard nothing but good things from friends who like to vacation out there. Most of them do it on the north end though.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Smile

Those are great pictures, FrankR...keep 'em coming!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We have to agree on Idaho!

We love Wyoming and Montana, but the tops for us is central Idaho in the Snow and Sawtooth Ranges north of Sun Valley. We spent a week near Stanley and wanted to relocate-except the winters are fierce! Stanley seems to hold records for snow and cold and late Spring. They must be brave rugged souls who live there year round! But summer---ah!! Fly fishing. . .rafting on the Salmon. . .incredible scenery. . .rushing crystal water everywhere. . .panning and old mining towns. . .hiking trails. . .wonderful people! When we had some problems with our battery and water heater, an incredible young mechanic, obviously already over worked, dropped everything to help us out. Everyone seemed so friendly to us "outsiders"--not what you always find in recreational areas. When we were there, campsites in the forest service campgrounds were first come, first serve which lent an air of anticipation to the whole expedition. Would we get that "best" site or not? Now, like so many other places, the campgrounds are open for reservations and filled! I guess you have to know a year in advance of your summer travel plans-to the day! Oh, well. That's another issue! If you haven't been, add central Idaho to your travel plans, and plan to stay a while. An overnight, passing through, just isn't enough!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Thanks for the invitation!

I would like to visit sometime; as well as the entire western half of the good ole U S A.

I haven't been any further west than Arkansas; nice place there also; really enjoyed Eureka Springs!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
my adopted home state....

hi frank,
beencoming to idaho for the last 25 yrs. always discover something new. have always wanted to live there. now, if you could get that state income tax lowered........
idaho is truely the gem state!
norby.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Idaho is a great state. Just got back from trip up to Elk City, ID to get some of the best ribs we have ever had at the Mother Lode Saloon and Steak House. Ron makes great ribs. He was in Pony, MT then moved to Elk City about a year ago. The drive up the ravine to Elk City is absolutely georgeous. Especially when my wife told me about the naked lady in the river waving at passing cars. Unfortunately, she told me just after we passed by and didn't see this "sight". Got to pay more attention next time.

Then on to visit friends in LoLo and Livingston, Mt and back to Newman Lake, WA

Unfortunately didn't spend much time in Idaho this time but will be back for sure. (Got to get out of California)
54FlyingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
elk city coo coo chu...

some years ago i met a child hood friend at oro grande... he was doin a summer job checkin out the minerals in the land of no use... ...he was between semesters..workin on his masters in geology...well any way after he scarfed up a sloppy joe recipe(ala james beard) that i had made...we wound up in a bar in elk city where he ordered a cheese burger and fries.... i sat next to a couple of locals who were discussing the merits of gator aid and midol for a hangover.....GOD BLESS AMERICA......
norby.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Hi FrankR,
Thanks for the pictures, that lake looks like a great place. I've never been to Idaho, but in the early 80's I met a man from Idaho who told me how he and his son's would drive their trucks up into the mountains, towing either there horses or dirt bikes, then ride deep in to a lake for great unspoiled fishing and camping. He said he loved living there for many reasons. It's on my list of places to see. Thanks Al
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:47 PM   #11
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Idaho is one of my favorite vacation spots. We spent a few days at Red Fish Lake up in the Sawtooth Mountains ... it was late September .. right before they closed for the season. We were the only people there .. had the whole lake to ourselves.

Then we drove over to Sun Valley .. had lunch at the Lodge .. out on the patio overlooking the ice rink. Again .. nobody there .. so I strapped on some skates and had the entire rink to myself for about 30 minutes.

Then is got crowded ... 3 more people showed up.
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Virtual Idaho tour

There are lots of great photos on this SOUTH CENTRAL IDAHO website. I'd love to get out there someday.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote