Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Virginia Traffic Fines

The top story on AOL tonight is the new State of Virginia Traffic fines that went into effect on July 1st.

According the the AOL story, starting yesterday, your fine for going 20mph over the speed limit in Virginia is a whopping $1,311.00!!!!!!!!!!!! This is comprised of a $200 fine, $61 in Court costs, and a $1,050 civil penalty. The state expects to raise $65 million a year from this new system. The AOL news item says that the $1,050 civil penalty applies ONLY to Virginia residents. Wow, I sure would re-elect my legislator is he pulled that one, wouldn't you?

I will try to avoid Virginia in all my furure travels as they obviously have wackos in charge there.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
The top story on AOL tonight is the new State of Virginia Traffic fines that went into effect on July 1st.

According the the AOL story, starting yesterday, your fine for going 20mph over the speed limit in Virginia is a whopping $1,311.00!!!!!!!!!!!! This is comprised of a $200 fine, $61 in Court costs, and a $1,050 civil penalty. The state expects to raise $65 million a year from this new system. The AOL news item says that the $1,050 civil penalty applies ONLY to Virginia residents. Wow, I sure would re-elect my legislator is he pulled that one, wouldn't you?

I will try to avoid Virginia in all my furure travels as they obviously have wackos in charge there.
Actually given the number of bad wrecks they have in just the Richmond area along the I-95 and 295 corridors I think it may serve as a deterrent. I haven't seen the article yet. However I don't think the penalties are severe enough in many of the cases. I can think of NO reason to be going 20mph over the posted speed limits. I worked in Richmond for a couple of years and the cars rocketing by at well over the speed limit IMHO were a major hazard. Also FWIW we just had a bad accident on the beltline/I-40 in Raleigh, NC that was attributed to excessive speed and alcohol. It seems that a certain segment of the population is out of control.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
This is comprised of a $200 fine, $61 in Court costs.
IIRC, that is less than a similar infraction in Florida.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Response to Virginia Traffic Fines.

Quote:

Hi Moosetags;
While ghosting the forums this morning I came across your post,and I truly wonder which angle you are viewing passing of this law. While I no longer post, I cannot pass this one up. Virginia lawmakers are not wackos, they are trying to prevent wackos from needlessly taking innocent lives. Posted speed limits are there for all to obey, because you are sharing the road with those who do. If you want to drive at 20 MPH or more over the legal limit, I recommend that you build your own private road so that you can find out what is your safe limit is for your jalopy, and your exceptional driving ability. Are you forgetting that other folks driving within the speed limit pay the same tax as you do? Same goes for people who do not have the extraordinary driving ability as you do. Same goes for tractor trailers who pay much more than you do in taxes, and have no special privileges.
They can overturn, if they travel 20 MPH over the posted speed limit in turns. Yes, you share the road with those too. What then privileges you to think that you can travel that much faster than the rest of us? If you stay within posted limits you will not have to justify or explain any circumstances under which you think, you can modify those laws . You, by paying the same tax for the road use as the rest of us, are not privileged to weave in and out of the traffic, just because you think you can handle it. Go ahead try to convince me that you are capable of it. People with plenty of knowledge have made those determinations what is safe. Try to convince them that they are wrong in their calculations. Yes, they have considered what lies ahead of you as well. In the past I have completed defensive and evasive driving courses, and I believe that I am much better than average driver, but that does not give me the rights to travel even 10 MPH above limit. There is a solution to your dilemma. Build your own road or leave one hour early, then you will not have to apologize to anyone for killing the member of their family. Yes, I am very bitter. I too get cut off, jambed in, squeezed out by alike thinking drivers in jalopies that should not even be on the road. Like you, they think they are are all better drivers than the rest of us while creating hazardous conditions for the rest of us. Regrets are of no consolation when you kill someone or loose a family member over stupidity and your overconfident and invincible driving ability. Three Cheers for Virginia Lawmakers. "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:

According the the AOL story, starting yesterday, your fine for going 20mph over the speed limit in Virginia is a whopping $1,311.00!!!!!!!!!!!! This is comprised of a $200 fine, $61 in Court costs, and a $1,050 civil penalty. The state expects to raise $65 million a year from this new system. The AOL news item says that the $1,050 civil penalty applies ONLY to Virginia residents.
Kudos to VA! Make those speeders pay! I have seen my fair share of car wrecks involving high speed. Hopefully this works as a deterrant! Now, if we can only get something like this passed in New England!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I should remind people that 20mph over the limit in Virginia was an automatic 'reckless driving' charge and the penalty began with a night in jail after the vehicle was impounded and a Felony charge lodged against them.

I think this new system is meant to encourage Law Officers to routinely issue +20mph citations instead of an almost automatic judgment call of reducing charge down to the next <20mph-over-the-limit level to keep merely exuberant drivers from experiencing the criminal courts system.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To me it all depends on what the speed limit is. 55mph and folks going 20 over would not seem exessive to me, in most sections of the Interstate. Speed limits of 65 or 70 mph and folks going 20 over, I'd agree as excessive.

Here in Illinois, 30 over is a felony. Anything less than 30 is a standard ticket, unless it's in a work zone. The Wisconsin folks do similar things with high fines for under 30 over, just as VA does, just not as high. The thing is they (WI) target out of state plates (not by law). The standing joke on a billboard in WI for a Greyhound Dog Racing place is "Faster than a car with Illinois plates."

Now, if alcohol is involved, yes, at any speed, you should pay a severe fine (provided there is not an accident, injury or loss of life, then far more severe is called for than a high fine), but I can't agree with folks going 70 mph if it's a good section of Interstate that could support 70 mph. I recall back in the day 55 was the limit on the Interstate across the board. Nowadays, it's 55 here, 60 there, 75 over there and 70 in that state. I think there should be a universal speed limit again and that should around 70 to 75mph and 60 to 65 for trucks, cars with trailers, etc. I would agree that 55 mph and less in severe urban areas would be warranted and high fines for those going over that, but in those areas it's typically grid lock anyway and the bigger problems is folks driving on the shoulder.

The one last thing I noticed in the posts is that VA is, by law only serving this out to VA residents, if that's true, I can hear the lawyers sharpening their knives as this one will go to court if they specifically target one group of users over another.

Keep in mind that I write this as two family members died many years ago on a highway (non Interstate) speed was involved, but so was wreckless driving, alcohol and other stimulants. I still feel that resposible driving could happen at 70-75 if managed properly. I think 55mph is dead and although we have the same energy problems we had when 55 was put in place, times are different.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
20+ over the limit in AZ is criminal speeding. It caries the same fines and points as a DUI. Also, anyone going 86 or over, even on our 75 MPH Interstates can be sited with Criminal Speeding.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I used to live there for nearly 20 years. Speeding is rampant. 20 MPH over the limit on the DC beltway and you are moving slow. (during non rush hour) 20 MPH over the limit is reckless in most states.

I stream of income yes. Also a safety problem. No wackos. It is one of the better run states. WHen towing I do not speed and even go below the speed limit. 65 Max. wher the limtied is usually 75.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I see that speed limits is a hot topic here. I have no problem with high fines attached to rational speed limits. Our interstae system was designed around the '85th percentile' concept which engineers the speed limit from data based on what 85% of the drivers do. In many areas of our country, that speed is 70-75mph.

In general, it is not excessive speed that causes accidents, but an overly large speed differential which is the difference between one car traveling faster than the general auto population.

The overzealous speed enforcement by the police becomes a problem when speed limits are set at unnaturally low levels solely for the purpose of geneating revenue for the state while only paying lip service to any real safety concerns. That is my problem with some of the speed 'enforcement' regimines in our fair land.

For more information on this topic, check out Motorists.org - The National Motorists Association Website
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
I got nabbed!

I can tell you that a fine of only $351.00 was enough to get me to be very observant of the speed limit signs. We left PA early one morning in December to get to Jacksonville, FL and while traveling through the Commonwealth of VA (my birthplace) at pre- dawn I happened to be in the left lane being pushed by some traffic (no excuse but I was looking for a space to pull over) and went past a State Trooper (unmarked car) at about 73 in a 55 zone (I really thought it was 65). The speed zone bumped up to 65 about a mile down the road. I have not yet seen any notice of "points" hitting my record here in PA. I happily paid the fine as I was in the wrong. First speeding ticket since 1984 (37 years of driving). Just mentioning this as not all speeders are wreckless - sometimes it just happens, however, all speeders are wrong. Me included. Sometimes you look down at the speedometer and can't believe your speed has gotten that high. I was not towing when this happened!!
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #12

If you need to go fast, over the speed limit, buy a jet! that way you will be off the hiway, and the air traffice controllers can deal with you. I suppose those people would like us to stay in Irag, for every 5 miles you go over the limit it costs you about 19 dollars in cash and your mileage goes down, sending you to the pumps. Leave early drive safe, so I can see my family tomorrow. Ron
Ron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Exclamation

Acording to MSN the fine for 20+ in Virginia is up to $3500.

Quote:
Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I believe the punishment should fit the crime.
There’s a direct correlation between speed and incident of fatality.
So in those terms, I think speeding fines are way too restrained.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I see valid arguments on both sides of this issue. Lewster hit the rational, middle of the road response. See post #10.
I see speed and it's effects all the time in my job. Speed can be a big factor. Speed differential is a big factor. Probably the biggest factor in vehicle collisions are inattention (Cell phones, eating, smoking, putting on make up, etc.) drugs and alcohol. Not nessecarily in that order.
I too find it interesting that VA residents are targeted, as if an out of state driver going over the limit won't cause an accident.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm not sure where I am on these fines - seems a bit high, but as Lewster said, the differential is the killer.

What really interests me is that, even as a Virginian, I recall no discussion of this in the papers back whenever this law was passed. I usually pay attention to such things.

Please come to Virginia. It is a beautiful state (commonwealth, really) with much to offer. If you're bringing your rig, you won't be speeding anyway, right?

Pat
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks moosetags, I understand your reaction.

Speed limits should be reasonably set for safety. In the past some were set for gas consumption considerations not safety. Safety should be first. I don't think moosetags was advocating being reckless, just a first reaction to heavy fines. Fines should also not be a way to increases money to the state.

Speaking of safety does Virginia have a law about hands free cell phone use? Inattention causes fatal accidents too, (not to mention improper towing ). It should be common sense and not a matter of legislation. We would need less laws if people would use common sense. Less laws, more freedom. Be responsible.

Peace
Roadschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC NJ has the "civil fees" too. One of the girls at work had her license suspended because she had not paid them. She had paid the ticket, but the fines were sent to an old address and not forwarded. Apparently in her case they accrued to fairly high amount and the suspended the license. BTW she is working in NC.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here in Illinois, 30 over is a felony.
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Pay to Speed?

I thought of having toll roads where you can pay to drive as fast as you want, up to maybe 25 mph over the speed limit. THAT would be cool. 3 lanes in each direction, right lane= speed limit, center lane=15 over, left lane =25 over.