Old 07-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
The courtroom test

Don't you imagine that this new law will be severely tested in courtrooms across the commonwealth before long? Stay tuned. You CAN love a lawyer especialy if he's yours.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Can we get Maryland to pass that kind of Speed racer law... I have trouble just getting out of my driveway!! ZOOOM... they are off... passing on a 35 mph road at top speeds...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hmmm,what state was it where a trooper was driving a goverment bigshot around and crashed? VA or NJ-I don't recall I do remember the the cop (opps,law enforcement officer) was doing 91 mph in a small convoy when this happened.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #32
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
Hmmm,what state was it where a trooper was driving a goverment bigshot around and crashed? VA or NJ-I don't recall I do remember the the cop (opps,law enforcement officer) was doing 91 mph in a small convoy when this happened.
It was the Governor of New Jersey.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Yup!

Yup!!!!!!

And all over the media with the 'message' that speed is a bad thing!!!

LOOK for the spin.... left of right?!

You decide!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Speeding issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I used to live there for nearly 20 years. Speeding is rampant. 20 MPH over the limit on the DC beltway and you are moving slow. (during non rush hour) 20 MPH over the limit is reckless in most states.

I stream of income yes. Also a safety problem. No wackos. It is one of the better run states. WHen towing I do not speed and even go below the speed limit. 65 Max. wher the limtied is usually 75.
Hi thecatsandi;
Have you noticed how many are missing the point? The issue here is not the set limit itself. I agree that some open deserted hi way's perhaps should have a 75 MPH limit. Should this automatically qualify one to do 95 MPH without a fine? NO! When life is lost because some tend to think they are better drivers, is that not a criminal act? Are they better drivers? NO. They are unsafe drivers creating hazards for the rest of us. Most of us obey the law by driving in accordance to posted limit. If it happened to be 55 and you are traveling at 75+ you are creating the same hazard as those who drive 30 MPH in 55 zone. The only difference is in the result of collision itself, which is relative to speed involved. Speed limits are there for a reason. Are we loosing the concept of life? Road rage filled hi way's. People sneaking down the shoulder to the traffic light so they can cut you off at the light, and so on and on. At times you are afraid to change lanes to pass a slower vehicle, because those who are above the law will not let you do it. They own the fast lane and don't you dare to do anything to slow them down. We have a Hi way called 422 here in PA. It is a straight stretch of four lane hi way with wide shoulder and 50' wide median strip. Speed limit 55 MPH. The head on collision statistics would shock you into reality and make your head spin over the loss of lives. Why is it so? Because it is wide and straight most do 85+ some even have been recorded at over 100 MPH. How then do I change lanes and live, Mr or Ms privileged? No matter what you think the speed limit should be, you are not privileged, you are a criminal. If some of you invincible drivers want to drive faster, put forth proposals to your State Legislation to allow you to build your own hi way with your money. And do not be concern I will not be using it. Show them how fast you can drive, and they will show you statistics while you choke on your foot in your mouth. Police does not set the limits, they enforce them. This is what we pay them for.
If you do not like that shut up anyway, because you are minority and outside the law. I do not wish to share the road with those who think they are better drivers than me, and feel they should be above the law. Just as Lwester said, it is the differential in speeds that causes the problems. So if you think you should be privileged to drive 20+ miles faster than the rest of us think again, because you are not privileged to take lives.
Perhaps it is time that we should redefine the meaning of the word "accident". Over 90% of collisions do not classify to be called accident. They are collisions due to lack of responsible driving habit, negligence and unnecessary distractions. True meaning of accident is when a mechanical failure occurs, rendering your efforts to avoid it, beyond control. Imagine, car insurance for $100.00 per year. Perhaps the change in the definition of accident would teach us to be responsible if we had to pay for collisions, due to negligence and reckless driving habits. Furthermore, I refuse to accept anyone's thinking that they should get away with driving 20+MPH faster than I can. It is so, because I want to see my family at the end of the day even one hour late, rather than my family seeing me at the hospital or attend my funeral because you think you can handle it. There I said it all. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #35
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
What concert? Are they putting The Band back together? Isn't Jake still at Joliet? Is it the Mission From God?

Will they save the orphanage?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I don't know about other states but the speed limit on the beltway around Baltimore is 55, but you'd better stay in the far right lane and expect irritate drivers behind you . The true average speed is closer to 70 mph with some drivers aproaching 90. The same is true for I 95 between Baltimore and Washington and the DC Beltway. Speeds are so fast it's scary with people changing lanes at very close distances while drinking coffee, talking on cell phones and doing any number of things on their way to and from work. I don't know of any highway with a speed limit of 55 where people are actually driving at that speed. I've started joking that that's only the suggested speed limit, becaue no one seems do be actually diving at the limit. If the State troopers want to start stopping everyone driving over the speed limit around here they'd better hire a few hundred more. I try to travel with the flow of traffic so as to not be driving either to slow or to fast.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Furthermore, I refuse to accept anyone's thinking that they should get away with driving 20+MPH faster than I can. It is so, because I want to see my family at the end of the day even one hour late, rather than my family seeing me at the hospital or attend my funeral because you think you can handle it.
I was nearly killed by a driver that wanted to drive 20 over the speed limit, I am just now able to walk more-or-less without a limp, and still have trouble putting my socks on. AND THAT WAS IN A 45 MPH ZONE!!!! What would have happened if it had been a 70 mph zone?
If you want a more fair punishment, maybe speeders should lose their driving priveledges for ten days for every mile per hour they were over the speed limit.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Craftsman,
If you're staying with the flow in that Austin(? Cooper?), it probably feels like you're doing 100mph! Cool car. Now - back to the thread!
George
Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
What concert? Are they putting The Band back together? Isn't Jake still at Joliet? Is it the Mission From God?

Will they save the orphanage?
Lemme answer these in order:

Yes (at Lake Wazapamani),yes, yes, yes

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
[a brief thinking pause while Jake attempts to light a cigarette]
Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.
Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.
Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.
Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

Elwood: Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now.

Elwood: Sh*t.
Jake: What?
Elwood: Rollers...
Jake: No.
Elwood: Yeah.
Jake: Sh*t.

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Terry,
I'd go along with that, but they should lose it immedialtely with the car being driven / pulled off the shoulder away from traffic with a siign posted on it for the duration of the penalty saying " this driver lost his driving privledges and CAR for 200 days due to speeding". We as a people need that constant reminder. I also think that white crosses (or star of David, etc) should be mandatory on all roads at a point where a fatality has occured due to an accident.
George
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #41
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
The points... and there are many include:
1) a two tiered fine system that favors the well off
2) the current speed limits are not being enforced.
3) the targeted areas appear to be urban; the affected areas will mostly be rural.

All of these are logically offensive.

Remembering commutes around MI, with traffic flowing 80-95 up US23 & I96. Did I see officers pulling people over during rush hour? No. They didn't want to die. Threaten a $10,000 fine and they still won't want to die.
Did I see officers pulling people over during non-rush hour? Yes.

Anecdotal to be sure, but there seems to be a reluctance to enforce existing limits. The threat of higher fines is just that, a threat. The amount stated implies an inability (or unwillingness) to do actual work.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A 70 mph limit (which means ideal conditions of weather, traffic and road surface) is more than adequate. Always has been. None of you out there can control a vehicle moving faster than that (and I include myself, former professional truck driver) due solely to reaction time. Now add in vehicle condition. Being lucky ain't the same as being able.

The bottom line is simple: For a drive of 300 miles the difference between 75 mph and 65 mph is about thirty minutes. Irrelevant to the day, much less to one's life.

Want to save time? Practice pit stop routine at fuel stops, get in and out quicker. Or, don't carry women or children whose bladders can't cut it for all day driving. You boys just getcha a wide-mouth plastic pop bottle. Or hook-up a funnel and tube to run through the floorboard (I've seen it).

The truck driver saying is to keep the left door shut and the truck between the lines. Nothing else is timely.

Over the speed limit, even under perfect conditions is childish, selfish and irresponsible. In a pickup truck or SUV it's flat reckless. No one can justify it to another, and especially not in court.

I'll be the first to agree that the police need to start giving out driving safety violations and couple them to vehicle examination (dirty windshield and taillights; loose junk in vehicle interior; blown shocks, overloaded, etc.) Video would make it unambiguous. Some folks need to have their cars impounded and spend 10-days in jail, automatically.