Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Moosetags;
While ghosting the forums this morning I came across your post,and I truly wonder which angle you are viewing passing of this law. While I no longer post,..."Boatdoc"
Say it isn't so Doc.

I've been following your thread The quest for a new stainless steel frameand look forward to seeing your Argosy completed. I would love to have your skills (and access to the cheap materials) You've done a great job so far, don't leave us hanging...
__________________

__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Liquid Cooled
 
RedSHED's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 532
Images: 2
Kind of interesting to see how widely apart the opinions are on this topic.

I'd love to see who'd say what should these safety measures get pushed into law somewhere:
1) physicals for vehicle operators over 40 (just like a Piper Cub pilot)
2) CDL for any vehicle over 10000 lb GCVW. (5000KG if you prefer)

The point being this: I'm picking up a "penalize vices other than mine" sentiment. FWIW, I feel both 1 & 2 have a better payback to society than a rigid speed limit, especially for those locations where the difference between a 55mph zone and a 35mph zone is the width of one sign. (or 75/55 or...

Also, somebody wanna bet that even the most conscientious non-speeder busts the limits imposed by warning signs (intersection, driveway, etc) with apalling regularity?

/rant.
__________________

RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
ZoominC6's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,529
Virginia the beautiful

Our Commonwealth is so very beautiful. Why the need to speed; especially pulling a beautiful Airstream?
Happy Trails
__________________
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Liquid Cooled
 
RedSHED's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 532
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Our Commonwealth is so very beautiful. Why the need to speed; especially pulling a beautiful Airstream?
Happy Trails
It isn't so much about pulling an Airstream fast (I rarely go over 60 with ours) or even going fast (I rarely go more than 4-5 over the limit), but more for the following:

1) because the speed limit can change by 20mph in 1/8 of an inch. (it happens that speed limits go from 55 to 35 with just one sign - and if that sign is missing or obscured, you are out $1300. I wouldn't count on a benevolent judge.
2) the punishment is perceived to be excessive. Further, such a scheme of fines disproportionatly favors the well-off. "If you're rich enough, you can go fast in Virginia. If you're poor, we're taking your car, and your food and clothes too."
3) the punishment is perceived to be a source of funds for the state. rather than a punitive measure.
4) I've driven in some traffic where a rigid adherence to the speed limit is riskier than not (e.g. suburban Detroit).

Sadly the safety argument has been played too often to be effective. Nobody with a brain believes that County Road 450N in our fair county is safer (per mile) than a comparable section of I-65, but for a number of years the speed limit on both was the same - at first for fuel savings, but later for "safety."

I'm not advocating people speed. But this punishment is so jejuene as to be offensive.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
I am going to weigh back in. I am focusing on Richmond because that is where I spent the most time. The I-95 corridor thru the Richmond city proper is a very narrow road with 2-3 lanes with jersey barriers and guard rails on both sides of the road, very short exit/on ramps, and many curves. The posted speed limit thru the ENTIRE city proper is 55 mph. People routinely run 75mph+ thru there, in light traffic periods they might be able to get away with it, however due to the curves the sight distances it doesn't support those kinds of speeds and accidents occur and cause massive traffic tie ups with depressing regularity. When you get further up the pike above Fredericksburg, it isn't uncommon to have cars(and trucks) blast past you at well over 100mph. The posted is 65mph, this is a heavily traveled corridor and conditions can go from excellent to bad in just a 1/4 mile with little warning. At 100mph you are covering ground at too great a pace to be able to control your vehicle if conditions change. In the wide open spaces of Texas I might could see it, but not on a rolling interstate in a mostly urban area. I have spent way too many hours stuck on I-95 due to accidents caused by someone's carelessness. What I would like to see would be a class action lawsuit brought against the person(s) that caused the accident through negligent driving for the lost time and productivity of all the people stuck on the highway including the trucks. The railways do it if someone causes a major delay because they blocked tracks, so why not the highways. After a few of those some of these clowns might, just might slow down and think. But given the fact that around 1/4 of all drivers on the road are driving illegally I really don't know.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
Liquid Cooled
 
RedSHED's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 532
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
... in light traffic periods they might be able to get away with it, however due to the curves the sight distances it doesn't support those kinds of speeds ...
In general I agree with you. However, it might not survive precedent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
Amendment VIII


Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.



RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #27
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
In general I agree with you. However, it might not survive precedent:
Personally I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to A) Be forced to drive on an interstate because they have closed the parallel US highway and B) have to double the time of my trip because someone else couldn't be bothered to obey the law and caused a major accident with severe injury, property damage and possible loss of life. Besides if they do it to every ticketed offender how can it be considered cruel and unusual?

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #28
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
Ok, ya got me on that one. It took me a while to gather my composure to type this one I was laughing so hard....
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
ZoominC6's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,529
The courtroom test

Don't you imagine that this new law will be severely tested in courtrooms across the commonwealth before long? Stay tuned. You CAN love a lawyer especialy if he's yours.
__________________
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
Marti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
Images: 20
Can we get Maryland to pass that kind of Speed racer law... I have trouble just getting out of my driveway!! ZOOOM... they are off... passing on a 35 mph road at top speeds...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
wanderer1's Avatar
 
1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 271
Images: 24
Hmmm,what state was it where a trooper was driving a goverment bigshot around and crashed? VA or NJ-I don't recall I do remember the the cop (opps,law enforcement officer) was doing 91 mph in a small convoy when this happened.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #32
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar

 
2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,199
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
Hmmm,what state was it where a trooper was driving a goverment bigshot around and crashed? VA or NJ-I don't recall I do remember the the cop (opps,law enforcement officer) was doing 91 mph in a small convoy when this happened.
It was the Governor of New Jersey.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 945
Yup!

Yup!!!!!!

And all over the media with the 'message' that speed is a bad thing!!!

LOOK for the spin.... left of right?!

You decide!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
boatdoc's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 645
Images: 1
Speeding issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I used to live there for nearly 20 years. Speeding is rampant. 20 MPH over the limit on the DC beltway and you are moving slow. (during non rush hour) 20 MPH over the limit is reckless in most states.

I stream of income yes. Also a safety problem. No wackos. It is one of the better run states. WHen towing I do not speed and even go below the speed limit. 65 Max. wher the limtied is usually 75.
Hi thecatsandi;
Have you noticed how many are missing the point? The issue here is not the set limit itself. I agree that some open deserted hi way's perhaps should have a 75 MPH limit. Should this automatically qualify one to do 95 MPH without a fine? NO! When life is lost because some tend to think they are better drivers, is that not a criminal act? Are they better drivers? NO. They are unsafe drivers creating hazards for the rest of us. Most of us obey the law by driving in accordance to posted limit. If it happened to be 55 and you are traveling at 75+ you are creating the same hazard as those who drive 30 MPH in 55 zone. The only difference is in the result of collision itself, which is relative to speed involved. Speed limits are there for a reason. Are we loosing the concept of life? Road rage filled hi way's. People sneaking down the shoulder to the traffic light so they can cut you off at the light, and so on and on. At times you are afraid to change lanes to pass a slower vehicle, because those who are above the law will not let you do it. They own the fast lane and don't you dare to do anything to slow them down. We have a Hi way called 422 here in PA. It is a straight stretch of four lane hi way with wide shoulder and 50' wide median strip. Speed limit 55 MPH. The head on collision statistics would shock you into reality and make your head spin over the loss of lives. Why is it so? Because it is wide and straight most do 85+ some even have been recorded at over 100 MPH. How then do I change lanes and live, Mr or Ms privileged? No matter what you think the speed limit should be, you are not privileged, you are a criminal. If some of you invincible drivers want to drive faster, put forth proposals to your State Legislation to allow you to build your own hi way with your money. And do not be concern I will not be using it. Show them how fast you can drive, and they will show you statistics while you choke on your foot in your mouth. Police does not set the limits, they enforce them. This is what we pay them for.
If you do not like that shut up anyway, because you are minority and outside the law. I do not wish to share the road with those who think they are better drivers than me, and feel they should be above the law. Just as Lwester said, it is the differential in speeds that causes the problems. So if you think you should be privileged to drive 20+ miles faster than the rest of us think again, because you are not privileged to take lives.
Perhaps it is time that we should redefine the meaning of the word "accident". Over 90% of collisions do not classify to be called accident. They are collisions due to lack of responsible driving habit, negligence and unnecessary distractions. True meaning of accident is when a mechanical failure occurs, rendering your efforts to avoid it, beyond control. Imagine, car insurance for $100.00 per year. Perhaps the change in the definition of accident would teach us to be responsible if we had to pay for collisions, due to negligence and reckless driving habits. Furthermore, I refuse to accept anyone's thinking that they should get away with driving 20+MPH faster than I can. It is so, because I want to see my family at the end of the day even one hour late, rather than my family seeing me at the hospital or attend my funeral because you think you can handle it. There I said it all. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #35
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,325
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
What concert? Are they putting The Band back together? Isn't Jake still at Joliet? Is it the Mission From God?

Will they save the orphanage?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 712
I don't know about other states but the speed limit on the beltway around Baltimore is 55, but you'd better stay in the far right lane and expect irritate drivers behind you . The true average speed is closer to 70 mph with some drivers aproaching 90. The same is true for I 95 between Baltimore and Washington and the DC Beltway. Speeds are so fast it's scary with people changing lanes at very close distances while drinking coffee, talking on cell phones and doing any number of things on their way to and from work. I don't know of any highway with a speed limit of 55 where people are actually driving at that speed. I've started joking that that's only the suggested speed limit, becaue no one seems do be actually diving at the limit. If the State troopers want to start stopping everyone driving over the speed limit around here they'd better hire a few hundred more. I try to travel with the flow of traffic so as to not be driving either to slow or to fast.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Furthermore, I refuse to accept anyone's thinking that they should get away with driving 20+MPH faster than I can. It is so, because I want to see my family at the end of the day even one hour late, rather than my family seeing me at the hospital or attend my funeral because you think you can handle it.
I was nearly killed by a driver that wanted to drive 20 over the speed limit, I am just now able to walk more-or-less without a limp, and still have trouble putting my socks on. AND THAT WAS IN A 45 MPH ZONE!!!! What would have happened if it had been a 70 mph zone?
If you want a more fair punishment, maybe speeders should lose their driving priveledges for ten days for every mile per hour they were over the speed limit.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member
 
dudebb's Avatar
 
1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 402
Images: 7
Hi Craftsman,
If you're staying with the flow in that Austin(? Cooper?), it probably feels like you're doing 100mph! Cool car. Now - back to the thread!
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #39
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
What concert? Are they putting The Band back together? Isn't Jake still at Joliet? Is it the Mission From God?

Will they save the orphanage?
Lemme answer these in order:

Yes (at Lake Wazapamani),yes, yes, yes

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
[a brief thinking pause while Jake attempts to light a cigarette]
Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.


Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.
Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.
Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.
Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

Elwood: Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now.

Elwood: Sh*t.
Jake: What?
Elwood: Rollers...
Jake: No.
Elwood: Yeah.
Jake: Sh*t.

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member
 
dudebb's Avatar
 
1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 402
Images: 7
Terry,
I'd go along with that, but they should lose it immedialtely with the car being driven / pulled off the shoulder away from traffic with a siign posted on it for the duration of the penalty saying " this driver lost his driving privledges and CAR for 200 days due to speeding". We as a people need that constant reminder. I also think that white crosses (or star of David, etc) should be mandatory on all roads at a point where a fatality has occured due to an accident.
George
__________________

dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South George Washington National Forest in Virginia rseagle Boondocking 7 03-21-2009 07:13 AM
the virginia shootings! airstreamers Off Topic Forum 3 04-16-2007 10:01 PM
Virginia Highland Haven - On the Road Again Foiled Again Off Topic Forum 2 09-20-2006 11:51 PM
Early Prototype Motor Home BobbyW Off Topic Forum 4 10-27-2002 09:04 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.