Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I see valid arguments on both sides of this issue. Lewster hit the rational, middle of the road response. See post #10.
I see speed and it's effects all the time in my job. Speed can be a big factor. Speed differential is a big factor. Probably the biggest factor in vehicle collisions are inattention (Cell phones, eating, smoking, putting on make up, etc.) drugs and alcohol. Not nessecarily in that order.
I too find it interesting that VA residents are targeted, as if an out of state driver going over the limit won't cause an accident.
Dave

Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm not sure where I am on these fines - seems a bit high, but as Lewster said, the differential is the killer.

What really interests me is that, even as a Virginian, I recall no discussion of this in the papers back whenever this law was passed. I usually pay attention to such things.

Please come to Virginia. It is a beautiful state (commonwealth, really) with much to offer. If you're bringing your rig, you won't be speeding anyway, right?

Pat

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Brevard , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks moosetags, I understand your reaction.

Speed limits should be reasonably set for safety. In the past some were set for gas consumption considerations not safety. Safety should be first. I don't think moosetags was advocating being reckless, just a first reaction to heavy fines. Fines should also not be a way to increases money to the state.

Speaking of safety does Virginia have a law about hands free cell phone use? Inattention causes fatal accidents too, (not to mention improper towing ). It should be common sense and not a matter of legislation. We would need less laws if people would use common sense. Less laws, more freedom. Be responsible.

Peace
Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC NJ has the "civil fees" too. One of the girls at work had her license suspended because she had not paid them. She had paid the ticket, but the fines were sent to an old address and not forwarded. Apparently in her case they accrued to fairly high amount and the suspended the license. BTW she is working in NC.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here in Illinois, 30 over is a felony.
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Pay to Speed?

I thought of having toll roads where you can pay to drive as fast as you want, up to maybe 25 mph over the speed limit. THAT would be cool. 3 lanes in each direction, right lane= speed limit, center lane=15 over, left lane =25 over.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Moosetags;
While ghosting the forums this morning I came across your post,and I truly wonder which angle you are viewing passing of this law. While I no longer post,..."Boatdoc"
Say it isn't so Doc.

I've been following your thread The quest for a new stainless steel frameand look forward to seeing your Argosy completed. I would love to have your skills (and access to the cheap materials) You've done a great job so far, don't leave us hanging...
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Kind of interesting to see how widely apart the opinions are on this topic.

I'd love to see who'd say what should these safety measures get pushed into law somewhere:
1) physicals for vehicle operators over 40 (just like a Piper Cub pilot)
2) CDL for any vehicle over 10000 lb GCVW. (5000KG if you prefer)

The point being this: I'm picking up a "penalize vices other than mine" sentiment. FWIW, I feel both 1 & 2 have a better payback to society than a rigid speed limit, especially for those locations where the difference between a 55mph zone and a 35mph zone is the width of one sign. (or 75/55 or...

Also, somebody wanna bet that even the most conscientious non-speeder busts the limits imposed by warning signs (intersection, driveway, etc) with apalling regularity?

/rant.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Virginia the beautiful

Our Commonwealth is so very beautiful. Why the need to speed; especially pulling a beautiful Airstream?
Happy Trails
Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Our Commonwealth is so very beautiful. Why the need to speed; especially pulling a beautiful Airstream?
Happy Trails
It isn't so much about pulling an Airstream fast (I rarely go over 60 with ours) or even going fast (I rarely go more than 4-5 over the limit), but more for the following:

1) because the speed limit can change by 20mph in 1/8 of an inch. (it happens that speed limits go from 55 to 35 with just one sign - and if that sign is missing or obscured, you are out $1300. I wouldn't count on a benevolent judge.
2) the punishment is perceived to be excessive. Further, such a scheme of fines disproportionatly favors the well-off. "If you're rich enough, you can go fast in Virginia. If you're poor, we're taking your car, and your food and clothes too."
3) the punishment is perceived to be a source of funds for the state. rather than a punitive measure.
4) I've driven in some traffic where a rigid adherence to the speed limit is riskier than not (e.g. suburban Detroit).

Sadly the safety argument has been played too often to be effective. Nobody with a brain believes that County Road 450N in our fair county is safer (per mile) than a comparable section of I-65, but for a number of years the speed limit on both was the same - at first for fuel savings, but later for "safety."

I'm not advocating people speed. But this punishment is so jejuene as to be offensive.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
I am going to weigh back in. I am focusing on Richmond because that is where I spent the most time. The I-95 corridor thru the Richmond city proper is a very narrow road with 2-3 lanes with jersey barriers and guard rails on both sides of the road, very short exit/on ramps, and many curves. The posted speed limit thru the ENTIRE city proper is 55 mph. People routinely run 75mph+ thru there, in light traffic periods they might be able to get away with it, however due to the curves the sight distances it doesn't support those kinds of speeds and accidents occur and cause massive traffic tie ups with depressing regularity. When you get further up the pike above Fredericksburg, it isn't uncommon to have cars(and trucks) blast past you at well over 100mph. The posted is 65mph, this is a heavily traveled corridor and conditions can go from excellent to bad in just a 1/4 mile with little warning. At 100mph you are covering ground at too great a pace to be able to control your vehicle if conditions change. In the wide open spaces of Texas I might could see it, but not on a rolling interstate in a mostly urban area. I have spent way too many hours stuck on I-95 due to accidents caused by someone's carelessness. What I would like to see would be a class action lawsuit brought against the person(s) that caused the accident through negligent driving for the lost time and productivity of all the people stuck on the highway including the trucks. The railways do it if someone causes a major delay because they blocked tracks, so why not the highways. After a few of those some of these clowns might, just might slow down and think. But given the fact that around 1/4 of all drivers on the road are driving illegally I really don't know.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
... in light traffic periods they might be able to get away with it, however due to the curves the sight distances it doesn't support those kinds of speeds ...
In general I agree with you. However, it might not survive precedent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
In general I agree with you. However, it might not survive precedent:
Personally I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to A) Be forced to drive on an interstate because they have closed the parallel US highway and B) have to double the time of my trip because someone else couldn't be bothered to obey the law and caused a major accident with severe injury, property damage and possible loss of life. Besides if they do it to every ticketed offender how can it be considered cruel and unusual?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Twink, yes, but aren't all the State Troopers too busy at the Blues Brothers concert to catch any speeders?
Nick
Ok, ya got me on that one. It took me a while to gather my composure to type this one I was laughing so hard....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote