Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Virginia to Denver CO

We are trying to hit the road by Sunday heading west on 64 then 70 towards Denver. Just thought we would ask anyone if there are places we should check out along the way or any routes we should stay away from? We don't have an itinerary or a time schedule, so we are flexible. We like traveling around 300 to 350 miles a day, but have been known to do 750 to 800. The later is an extreme case for sure. Sorry for the short notice but every once in a while we look at each other and decide to bug out. Any suggestions welcome and thank you in advance.
Peace,
Mike & Suzanne
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We live in central Illinois and travel in our Airstream Classic motorhome to Denver/Fort Collins two to three times per year. We really love taking US36 rather than I70. The road is in great condition and you get to see so much more beautiful country side along the way. Plenty of campgrounds on the route and not significantly slower than I70. If you decide to take US36 and need info on campgrounds let us know. Western Kansas is just beautiful on this route......believe it or not
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Mayco beat me to it. I logged in to post the same thing. Highway 36 is awesome, not to mention it runs from literally right in front of my brother's house in Indiana all the way to Boulder (it actuallynruns from Rocky Mountain National Park to Ulrichsville, OH). It is similar to Route 66 with lots of little towns and diners along the way. And there are no giant semis barrelling down upon you. I've gone for hours without seeing another car, but the road isnsurprisingly well maintained. There are also lots of RV and state parks along the route.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Mayco beat me to it. I logged in to post the same thing. Highway 36 is awesome, not to mention it runs from literally right in front of my brother's house in Indiana all the way to Boulder (it actuallynruns from Rocky Mountain National Park to Ulrichsville, OH). It is similar to Route 66 with lots of little towns and diners along the way. And there are no giant semis barrelling down upon you. I've gone for hours without seeing another car, but the road isnsurprisingly well maintained. There are also lots of RV and state parks along the route.
Hey Kidjedi, I've lost track of how many trips we've taken on US36, probably 20 or so. We have put together a pretty good list of different campgrounds we've tried out, maybe 12-15... we have yet to find the drive boring. It's amazed us how many of the small towns along the route that have little 6-14 space campgrounds. Lots of times we are the only folks there. Most of them have some sort of hookups and they are all pretty cheap, some free. Great for over night stops. Several river towns. Like you said, I don't know how they do it but the road is in really good condition nearly the whole way.
At one time, before the Interstate system, US36 got its claim to fame by being
"The fastest route from Indianapolis to Denver". And of course there is the stretch that is called the Pony Express Highway, it roughly follows the old Pony Express trail. Pretty cool and a pretty drive along the rolling hills of central/western Kansas.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Have you considered a side trip to Branson, MO? One of the entertainment gems in our country. Assume you have received lots of advice on what to do in the Denver area?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
St Louis- The Arch, Saint Louis Art Museum, Delmar Loop, you could spend days in St. Louis
Kansas City- WW1 Museum, The Power and Light District, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
Victoria, Kansas- Cathedral of the Plains
Denver- Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art
Get off the Interstate and look at the small towns.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Not sure if it fits with your plan but you should check out Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora. Beautiful place and a 200 acre! off leash dog park. A real oasis.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Hey Kidjedi, I've lost track of how many trips we've taken on US36, probably 20 or so. We have put together a pretty good list of different campgrounds we've tried out, maybe 12-15... we have yet to find the drive boring. It's amazed us how many of the small towns along the route that have little 6-14 space campgrounds. Lots of times we are the only folks there. Most of them have some sort of hookups and they are all pretty cheap, some free. Great for over night stops. Several river towns. Like you said, I don't know how they do it but the road is in really good condition nearly the whole way.

I hesitate to divulge this secret for fear of crowding the place, but... Oberlin, KS. FANTASTIC free overnight camping with ELECTRIC and WATER (they do ask that you donate $10 to the city if you use electric, but that's still crazy good, and if you dry camp it's totally free). Usually free places are pretty mediocre, but this is a completely secluded site back in the woods with shelters, a play ground, a performance stage, and LOTS of open fields. Perfect for dogs and people, and every time we've stayed there, we've been the ONLY people there.

There are quite a few places like this along Highway 36, but Oberlin was the one the surprised me the most.

Also, Mayco, we used to live in Champaign too, so that's always a favorite stop... we try and plan our time/distance to make sure that's an overnight to see friends or at least have breakfast at either The Original Pancake House, The Courier, or if there's a little extra cash in the coffer and it's a Sunday, brunch at Radio Maria!!!

Last time through Champaign the timing was a bit off and none of our friends were around, so we ventured North and camped overnight at Middle Fork River Forest reserve. It was extremely affordable (I think it was $10 with electric hook ups) and the campsites were wonderfully wooded and spaced out enough that you weren't right on top of each other. There were also several small lakes for fishing. A great find!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I hesitate to divulge this secret for fear of crowding the place, but... Oberlin, KS. FANTASTIC free overnight camping with ELECTRIC and WATER (they do ask that you donate $10 to the city if you use electric, but that's still crazy good, and if you dry camp it's totally free). Usually free places are pretty mediocre, but this is a completely secluded site back in the woods with shelters, a play ground, a performance stage, and LOTS of open fields. Perfect for dogs and people, and every time we've stayed there, we've been the ONLY people there.

There are quite a few places like this along Highway 36, but Oberlin was the one the surprised me the most.

Also, Mayco, we used to live in Champaign too, so that's always a favorite stop... we try and plan our time/distance to make sure that's an overnight to see friends or at least have breakfast at either The Original Pancake House, The Courier, or if there's a little extra cash in the coffer and it's a Sunday, brunch at Radio Maria!!!

Last time through Champaign the timing was a bit off and none of our friends were around, so we ventured North and camped overnight at Middle Fork River Forest reserve. It was extremely affordable (I think it was $10 with electric hook ups) and the campsites were wonderfully wooded and spaced out enough that you weren't right on top of each other. There were also several small lakes for fishing. A great find!
Oooh my gosh, small world! I hear ya about divulging too much info for fear of crowding........here's one for ya though, Joes CO. 3 spots, electric and water, donation.

Mike

(Radio Maria finally closed its doors but Ferrens has moved to that location)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
...here's one for ya though, Joes CO. 3 spots, electric and water, donation.

I wonder how many towns along the way we've stayed in a parking lot or dead end (like we did in Joes, CO), when they actually had camping spots with hook ups! There was another place we overnighted recently where we stayed in a church lot, and then passed free RV spots with hook ups after we woke up and were rolling out in the morning.

Quote:
(Radio Maria finally closed its doors but Ferrens has moved to that location)

I had heard that, but I'm choosing not to believe it. Radio Maria brunch is one of the best things on the planet. It cannot be allowed to be gone.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
The aviation museum in Dayton OH is a good stop if you like that kind of thing.

Agree with others on US 36. Did that across MO this Summer and really enjoyed it.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Thanks to all for the great advice! We hit the pavement today and will take all these great ideas with us.
Peace,
Mike & Suzanne
Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Not sure if it fits with your plan but you should check out Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora. Beautiful place and a 200 acre! off leash dog park. A real oasis.
Definitely are going to Cherry Creek!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Thumbs up

Heading out on 36 tomorrow, first stop Bailey's RV Park, Seneca, KS.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Well we made it to Denver by way of Rt 36 and would REALLY like to thank all of you for that wonderful trip. We have never driven across country like that and were amazed at the scenery. We made a few stops and did a few things but not enough. Maybe have more time on the way back if we go that route. We always get great advice here from very knowledgeable people.✌️