Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Smile Virginia From Arizona

We are planning to drive from Phoenix, Arizona to Virginia. We plan to leave in the next two weeks and basically follow Interstate 40 East to Virginia. We like following the Interstate but we also like to stay off of the Interstate when possible; we like driving the "Blue Highways". We are looking for ideas and suggestions of routes and things to see and do on the way east. We welcome all suggestions of things to do and see - campgrounds, tours, places to see, things to do, places to eat, we are open to all suggestions! Many of the nicest things that we have seen and done on our RV travels have been suggestions from other RV travelers. We welcome your ideas; where you have been and things that you have enjoyed! WBCCI Number 3593
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

When you hit the VA line at Bristol, I would suggest Rt.11, good road, stuff to see.

You could pick up Rt.11 at Knoxville, TN, I just don't know much about that section between Knoxville and Bristol to say, but looks like it would be a great drive.

Enjoy,
Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you have an interest in experiencing Memphis then consider the Tom Sawyer campground. Tom Sawyer's RV Park The campground is the closest spot to downtown Memphis but on the Mississippi River in Arkansas.

Memphis has quite a few great restaurants (try The Rendezvous for world renown, dry rub BBQ) and many blues bars.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Opposites Attract

Ed,
We should swap stories. We are headed your way, you are headed ours.
I'm from Fredericksburg VA. My father graduated from UVA, then went on to their law school. We had a farm in Orange, Co, and lived in Mine Run. Small world.
So far, we have plans to stop in Asheville, NC, then Memphis, TN. I was there the day BB King opened his blues bar on Beale St. We are staying @ Tom Sawyers RV. We plan to hit Amarillo & Albuquerque. One of the best brochures we got from
al of the states we wrote to was Oklahoma. They sent a box of literature, with some very nice stuff. I had no idea that RT66 was such an integral part of the state. If you have time, get on their web page & request a brochure. Well worth it. I just wish we would have more time to explore OK, and everywhere else for that matter.
Keep us posted with your progress, & safe travels.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wellll, you head up to northern AZ and get on US 160, which turns into US 64 just short of the NM border. And then follow US 64 all the way to Nags Head, NC.

Lynn
Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Ed,
We just completed today our three month adventure in southwest (TX, AZ, CA, NV, UT).
Left Flagstaff AZ....travelled first day to Santa Rosa NM....next stayed Foss Lake SP OK ( great campsites on lake at Cedar Point CG loop)......next Natchez Trace SP in Wildersville TN ( beautiful CG and really would have liked to stay)....next stop Hungry Mother SP in Marion VA and then back home in PA. We utilized. Allstays RV Camp App on smartphone for the duration of our trip with no advance reservations made prior to departure but often booked day prior to arrival and occasionally a week ahead when we knew we wanted to stay 3 days of a week or two. We prefer to stay at State, National or County Parks as most often they are located away from the Interstate ( traffic noise, etc.) and generally not too far when traveling to destination or return home.
Enjoy your trip,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote