Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Beach to Sacramento - fewest interstates?

I've loaded Allstays on my phone, got tentative google maps laid out, but as always YOU are the people with "wheels down" experience.

I want to avoid as many interstates as I can, but I don't want to do hairpin 2 lanes through the mountains or take a barge across the Mississippi, so any route suggestions or warnings of major construction would be welcome.

I'm set for 300 miles per day with a spare day or two if needed - so nice little historical, pretty or unique stopovers would be great too.

Paula
Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
When you leave Virginia Beach head north to Ocean City, MD. In OC get on US50 and take it all the way to Sacramento. I've done it.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
When you say you don't want to do "any" hairpin two lanes through the mountains, that sort of eliminates all of the interesting side routes other than US 50 and US 80 through California to Sacramento. But since you would be doing some hairpins on US 50 anyway, without adding too much more excitement, you could take Hwy 395 south from Carson City to Hwy 88 west from Minden. By doing this I avoided taking you over the more interesting, but decidedly more hairpin Monitor Pass. For great food, stop at Sorensons Resort. Linger at the top of Carson Pass for a spell. Perhaps spend the night at one of the lovely campgrounds near Caples Lake or Silver Lake. Prowl around in Jackson for a while. Then take Hwy 49 to Hwy 16, and on in to Sacramento. When you pass through Sloughhouse, you can pick some of the famous Sloughhouse white corn on the cob, if it's in season.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I tried to find the tread a while ago…..Failed

The tread was about the best non interstate routes across the country.

Rte 50 and Rte 30 were the most popular

Rte 6 goes cross country but is maybe to far north of you.

There was another good one that I can't remember.

There are a few like Old rte 40 and 66 but so much of them were taken up by the interstates.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Paula, you might want to get the Mountain Directory West for Truckers and RV drivers. It covers over 400 mountain passes and steep grades in 11 Western States, and can help you choose your routes. I don't mind curvy roads as much as steep grades, and it's nice to know when to expect 12 miles of 7% downhill. You can have those adventures on the Interstates, too. The directory often gives good advice on switchbacks, hairpins, etc. with recommended speeds. Have a great trip!

Welcome to Mountain Directory
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Route 50 is under close consideration, though I wouldn't go to Ocean City (directly north and the $25-$30 toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel). I can certainly catch it west of DC.

I've been through the southwest a bit, but am not at all familiar with the more northerly states.

There aren't too many alternatives across the Mississippi are there? Any suggestions or is it just St. Louis?

Paula
Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rt 50 from Winchester through WVa is a lot of hairpins. I like the style of traveling you are considering, but I wouldn't do that part again by choice.

Once you get into Ohio you might consider the remnants of the National Road. Or take I-64 to help you past the mountains then take US33 up to Jackson Center. 33 also heads up to Chicago - and was a classic route for the gangsters to raid banks in nearby cities. Goshen even build a blockhouse complete with machine-gun ports to guard a city square - it is still there.

For diversion, camp at Indiana Dues SP and ride the train to Chicago for a day at the Field Museum.

We have taken a number of the US highway routes and had a grand time on each of them. Through Kansas you can go the northern e-w highway and follow the Pony Express route. Or take the southern route and follow the Santa Fe Trail route. Dodge City, to boot.

I don't think you can go wrong. Happy trails.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As for the Mississippi - consider crossing at Hannibal, MO - and enjoy a bit of Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Parkersburg , West Virginia
We live in WV and we are spending our summer traveling to all the state parks in our beautiful state. The only criteria we have for route selection is an attempt to find roads with painted center lines. The hills and curves in WV will be a friendly warm up to what you will experience in west U.S.
jsandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Grass Valley , California
Another option for ascending the Eastern slope of the Sierras is to take Hwy 80 over Donner Pass (which is the route taken by the wagon trains) then just past Cisco Grove take the turn-off onto Hwy 20 to Nevada City and Grass Valley. You can stay at the Nevada County Fairground campground and explore these 2 Gold Rush cities . Tour the Empire Mine State Historic Park, taste great wines, walk the 2 towns and shop if you want. When you leave, take Hwy 49 south thru Auburn back on to Hwy 80, and you'll be in Sacramento. It's just about 1.25 hours to Sac from GV. You'll be glad you did.
SilvertopCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
VaBeach to Colorado

We are also headed west from VaBeach....to Aspen in Aug and then north to Canada. Thanks for the post, looks like a lot of good info....We will probably take 64 through WVa and then get off the interstates. 300-350 miles a day is what we have in mind. Would love some info on good places to stay as we cross the flat lands in the heat of the summer...This is a great site for info and thanks in advance for any suggestions.....Andy
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Crabpot Andy - one of the most miserable stretches of towing road in the USA is Route 64 west in the summer. Busch Gardens turns most of the road into the world's fastest moving parking lot. AND hot impatient drivers on the edge of road rage look at anything they can't see over or around with positive hostility.

So here's some alternatives:
- go west on state route 460, or 58, or route 10 - SOUTH of the James river, Cross I-95 then hook up with route 64 west of Richmond.
- Going Route 10 gives you the option of crossing the James at Jamestown on the Ferry (It's free, but don't try it at peak hours for work shifts) It's a pretty little diversion. Just use the beltway around Williamsburg to catch 64 WEST of Williamsburg.
- get across the James onto the Peninsula using either the HR tunnel, the Monitor Merrimack or even the James River Bridge, and endure 64 until you can make the Yorktown Exit. ... then look at 17 from Yorktown on
- Or look at route 30, and 33 around Richmond.

All pretty rides, all trailer safe.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
I know you want to avoid interstates as much as possible, but much of 70 west is pretty beautiful. When I fly into Denver to go to Justin's place in Grand Junction I drive 70 all the way and it's beautiful. It's also got several tunnels so the up and down grades are somewhat better. I recommend it through Colorado and into Utah. You could stop in Grand Junction and see Justin, Ali and Justin II. If you want their number let me know.
There are nice wineries on the way into G.J. too.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Robert V. Droz list of U.S. Numbered Highways at

www.us-highways.com

The direct route is 2,900-miles with an estimated drive time of 41-hours which assumes an average speed of 70-mph. Towing on that route I'd estimate at 57-mph, or 51-hours of drive time.

The back roads are more like 47-mph overall; lower in the east, higher in the west. And the likely increase in miles is more than ten percent. So, closer to 70-hours of driving.

Ten days with a two day margin added; 12-days to be comfortable with a roughly 300-mile/day. (267-mile average at 12-days). Can't see needing more than this even at a turtle pace. 6-hrs/day average drive time.

As reference to the HOS rules for big trucks, a 3000-mile week is genuine work. 70-hours in eight days to include all hours of work, not just driving. The assumption here is that the truck will average -- rest breaks and all -- about 50-mph for Interstate.

But the driver legally would not be able to average 640-miles/day on US highways. Not for purposes of planning. It would drop down to the low forties depending on route and truck load plus truck spec.

For big trucks and RV trailer towing the Interstate System is a night and day difference versus the non-limited access roads.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If that F150 has the 26-gl tank and one is averaging 11-mpg towing, then the 80% range is 230-miles. If the 36-gl tank, then 500-miles.

Where departure to arrival also includes 15" rest at the two hour mark plus one hour out of vehicle at the four hour mark, a 47-mph average speed (not travel speed) is a distance of 190-210 miles from departure and puts one at the location for a one hour break. Quite convenient to also fuel at that juncture as well as eat.

Thus, where the U.S. Highways intersect each other or an Interstate (or closely parallel one) are the places to locate fuel stops.

Another worthwhile addition to the Mountain Directory is the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas. Any chain truck stop. Shows truck routes in all states. These are highways with HD construction, wider lanes, genuine shoulders, and are better marked and lit than other roads. And truck services, including fuel. All the chains plus the Ambest independents.

Short of alternatives seen underway, I'd make them my default daily fuel stop for planning.

It is more likely the truck routes have places wide enough to pull over an RV rig. Weather and just need to pee. Etc.

Making fuel decisions on the fly is almost a guarantee of a longer day. One loses control of a steady pace. An hour here or a half hour there really adds up in total time on such a long trip. Adds unneeded stress.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Virginia Beach to Sacramento - fewest interstates?

A breakdown is another concern on a back road. I carry (4) warning triangles and a small pair of sandbags. Three behind the rig with farthest according to instructions next to grass, and the last or nearest one on the edge of the lane stripe, weighed down. The fourth out in front of the rig at the same distance and in the same location also weighed down. Right on the stripe. Keeps the morons away.

Traffic cones -- a pair for the trailer rear bumper and TV front bumper -- another good idea, as is an amber flasher that can go on roof of TV. Can be hours to wait for service , thus going into night. On back roads there are usually no mile markers, so an awareness of distance to a known point is important.

Hi viz rain suit plus Class II safety vest. Goatskin gloves. Mud boots with knee high socks.

Another tip is to use a Blue Beacon truck wash at the outset of the journey. Wash both vehicles (with usual cautions) and afterwards pull out and off to side to apply two coats of Rain-X to all exterior glass per directions. BB will get that glass clean and prepped like no other. And a good way to clean up at trip end. I've usually gotten in and out in under two hours every time. An hour minimum. Locator online. Threads on this, too.

Use Rain-X aerosol glass cleaner afterwards on exterior only, and Stoner aerosol Invisible Glass for interior glass. About 2x daily. Plenty of dedicated microfiber towels. Sides and mirrors count for most. At any big auto parts chain except maybe NAPA.

New wiper blades (Bosch Icon) and Rain-X All Season fluid.

I carry my own squeegee as its hit and miss at fuel retailers. A short small bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent also. A few drops on pad plus that Rain-X coating takes bugs right off. Clean all exterior lamps at same time while fuel pumping.

I use www.myradarpro.com for moving weather maps and alerts. I usually have both phone and 7" Garmin GPS on dedicated mounts. The Garmin I run on a thirty mile scale for the most part. Big picture. It also allows me to change routes pretty easily.

If you've wanted to run an amp and antenna for the phone, the cradle types are adequate with ATT or Verizon cross country.

A CB is generally more useful on the roads you propose to travel versus the Interstates as the locals are usually on 19. Threads on that, also.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
SlowMover - thanks for all the great ideas. EB needs a bath right now anyway.
Getting state inspection and new wiper blades tomorrow.

I've decided to pick up Rt. 50 westbound in Winchester VA - after getting there via Rt. 17...
Question is - Any major construction on it, and how FAR west do I want to go on that road? It looks pretty decent - 4 lane right through W.V.

I've heard horror stories about Indiana & Illinois roads, but then how is Kentucky? Would I be better getting back on I-64 at some point?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm gonna try to get all of slowmovers hints together to review before and during each trip. What a source of info. Experience trumps theory on this subject. Thanks, Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Thanks for all the feedback:
Slowmover - great info on interstates vs the backroads, driving time and many hints I have not seen before (giving the EB a bath!). Once we get to St Louis its time to get on I-70. Have driven it a few times but never pulling the AS.
Foiled Again, yes I agree about I-64 and the HRBT - Williamsburg, we have lived here for 35 years (VaBeach is a great place to live as long as you do not have to deal with the tunnel very often) and only try to hit that stretch on off peak hours. Thanks for all the info.
Looking at about 300 miles a day, anyone have suggestions on places on I-64 as we get into WV, KT and IL? I think our plan now will be to try the interstates 64 & 70 and get to the mountains as soon as possible.
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't think Illinois roads are all that bad, personally, as long as you avoid that crazy I-80 stuff up north.

We have regularly traveled 24 thru Indiana, Illinois, and on into Iowa. Gives you a good look at small town Midwest, our beautiful corn and soybean fields, and perhaps some wind farms.

Travel safe, Paula.

Maggie