Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Victoria Island

We will be traveling from South Texas up to the NW and would like to do Victoria Island. Looking for information about the ferry and places to stay on the island. Just doing our part to stimulate the ecomony.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Try Port Angeles in Washington State. Plenty on places to park your AS overnight. Last time we went to Victoria a few years ago a one way ticket on the ferry was about $ 168.00 US one way.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I was thinking of taking our trailer across onto Victoria Island. Would that be a good idea?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Do you mean Vancouver Island? If so, it's a big place and taking your trailer would be a good idea. You could spend months exploring it and you'll need a place to sleep. You can access the island via ferry in Port Angeles, Washington or you can drive up to British Columbia, where you have the option of the Tsawassen or Horseshoe Bay ferries.

Here's a link to BC Ferries.

BC Ferries: WELCOME ABOARD BC FERRIES

If you're travelling at any time between spring and fall, reservations are strongly recommended. Especially on weekends. I take the Horseshoe Bay ferry a couple of times a month for business and to head to the family cottage. Trailer traffic is very common.

I haven't taken my trailer over but my parents take their 25 footer and pay around $100 (I think) for a one way crossing.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Victoria on Vancouver Island is a wonderful place to visit. I hope you decide to come and view one of Canada's jewels. As Cameron notes it is only a tiny piece of the whole island which has stunning scenery and is extremely visitor and RV friendly.

Here's the Washington Ferry info to get to Victoria from Annacortes, WA.

Auto Ferry Service to Victoria

Here is a site that addresses camping facilities on Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Camping - Accommodation by the British Columbia Lodging and Campground Association

At the bottom of the camping bc site you can click on the various sub-sites for additional information.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Barry
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
This has really helped us. We appreciate the information and will use it on our up coming trip this summer.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Gaylejoe
You will love it. We loved being searched by the
Canadian border guards. We were flagged over because we were so shinny.
They really only toured the interior and we left after a long time to the RV park. It was a great trip!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
as hopeful

Hi
We have been to Vancouver Island several times. Like camping in Victoria a lot - and our favorite place is Fort Victoria (Fort Victoria RV Park & Campground, Victoria, B.C. - Southern Vancouver Island Premier RV Facilities) and we like camping in Campbell River (Salmon Point Resort RV Park and Marina in Campbell River, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada).
Lots of places to explore as you go "up island".
But definitely make a reservation for the ferry - or be prepared to have a wait!
regards, peter
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
Renton , Washington
About a 5-hour drive from Victoria is Tofino, halfway up the island on the west coast. Its a funky little village, exceptional fishing and a very nice municipal campground. There are miles of bike trails and great beaches. If you are going in the spring/summer want a fishing charter you can probably sneak in with a day's notice (for one, more notice for a couple or more), show up and they provide all the gear and fish cleaning.
holmestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmestk
About a 5-hour drive from Victoria is Tofino, halfway up the island on the west coast. Its a funky little village, exceptional fishing and a very nice municipal campground. There are miles of bike trails and great beaches. If you are going in the spring/summer want a fishing charter you can probably sneak in with a day's notice (for one, more notice for a couple or more), show up and they provide all the gear and fish cleaning.
Tofino is crazy busy during the spring, summer and fall. For a more relaxed time, Ucluelet (20 minutes South) may be an option if you find Tofino too busy.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We can't thank all of you enough for the great information about Victoria Island. We are looking forward to our trip.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
If you have money to burn...(I say that tongue in cheek)...Take the ferrie from Anacortes, Washington through the lslands to sidney BC on Vancouver island. I say money to burn because its a long ferry trip but many island stops along the way and the most beautiful ferry trip in the US. NO matter now much time you set aside you will not have enough to see all the beauty of Vancouver island. You will be hard pressed to get out of Victoria in a week. Burchardt Gardens is a one day thing (almost) by its self. So much to see and do. Wax Musium, Empress hotel...O....and the camping on the island is to die for. Pull the trailer and camp on the north side of the island too. I could go on forever. There has been much infor already in this post. The island is wonderfun...friendly....and ..YOU won't want to leave. Port Angeles is the best to take your tailer accross unless you have money to burn for the Anacordis trip. O...and if you have an extra day...stay at the Hart of the Hills campgroud just a little ways from Anacortes, WA. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the beauty of the Northwest. There is nothing like it. Rainforests in the Olympic mountains are unsurpassed. I could go on forever. But...............................................
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Hi all,

I'm also planning a trip in August of 09' to visit Vancouver Island. There is a lot of great info that has been shared so far. I do how ever have a couple of questions...

1. what about bring mans best friends? I do realize that we will need all paper work regarding vaccinations and rabbie shots. Is there some thing else that might be needed?

2. most of the camp site that I have seen pictures of seem to be parking lot camping. We like to have some space between us and the person next to us. Is there any camping on the island that you can recommend? We prefer to boondock.

Your input is welcome,

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

You can boondock on the island but the farther from civilization you go you must be on the lookout for nefarious individuals. This is from the RCMP.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
No problems bringing your dog. Just bring a vaccination certificate from your vet. I'd recommend dog tags with your cell phone number, or at least your vet's phone number just in case you are separated. Provincial parks tend to be more scenic, so you might try them. With a trailer your size, you shouldn't have any problems finding a spot.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf View Post
You can boondock on the island but the farther from civilization you go you must be on the lookout for nefarious individuals. This is from the RCMP.
Thank you for the info. Scum balls are every where. What is RCMP? This being said it will be a little more challenging since my friend Smith and Wesson will not be coming for the ride.

We are actually looking for the smaller campsites. Off the beaten path just a little.

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
There's absolutely no need for S&W. RCMP is Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #18
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
No problems bringing your dog. Just bring a vaccination certificate from your vet. I'd recommend dog tags with your cell phone number, or at least your vet's phone number just in case you are separated. Provincial parks tend to be more scenic, so you might try them. With a trailer your size, you shouldn't have any problems finding a spot.
Thats a great Idea. Do you have any recommendations? We plan to spend about a week and half. Lots of time to see and do things. I was also thinking of heading north to Pacific Rim Nat'l park. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again.

P.S. Your house looks like its coming along nicely. congrats

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 11-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
For Provincial parks, explore this:

BC Parks - Things to Do and See - Search for Park by Geographic Location

For Pacific Rim:

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim National Park Reserve of Canada - Home page

Green Point Campground is a National Park campground. It's very busy the time of year you're coming. You'll need reservations.

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim National Park Reserve of Canada - Visitor Information

There are also several private campgrounds:

Tofino camping and Tofino campgrounds