Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Vespa?

As my wife and I get older we thought it would be cool to travel with a Vespa and take a few cruises out to the local sites, maybe through a National Park, etc. anyone do anything like that? I would assume we would tow with a pickup later on so we could transport it. It just would be nice to have to tool around but I don't read about many folks doing it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We do. 1986 Yamaha Riva 125

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think it's a great idea.
The problems will be how to carry it. In the bed of the pickup is the obvious choice, but it's hard to unload and the GVWR might be overloaded.
I like the idea of a front mounted receiver with a motorbike carrier.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Scooters, yes. Quite fun. Sister-in-law had a very interesting experience with her scooter in Glacier. They take it up every year for a chance to get the wind in the hair on Going to the Sun Road. The last time she rolled down, a group of Harley Davidson bikers formed up behind her and followed along. Made quite a vision as they buzzed down the grade. Bumblebee in front and rumbling motorcycles two by two behind at a steady, but reduced pace. She stayed ahead of the group until there was a place she could pull off near the bottom. Her plan was to let them pass. However, they had other ideas and pulled in with her. They had an interesting conversation before moving on to continue their ride.

So if you hear a rumbling behind, it may be the gang looking for their leader. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Fun idea, but
Looking at a Vespa I wouldn't want to be the passenger sitting the back for any extended time. Are you considering two?

They are more for commuter/city use than going up and down grades.

You'll have a hard time getting one or two of them on/off a pickup truck and they would take up valuable space for other necessary equipment.

You'll have to carry extra clothing and equipment. A cool breeze standing still is colder at 45mph.

Kelvin
Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Vespa

Love taking my Vespa. Comes in handy running around fun on beach trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120099.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	286151  
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
New solutions have new problems. Being older, being inexperienced riding a motorcycle or scooter two up is an accident waiting to happen. If you decide to do this take a motorcycle safety foundation course. I have ridden motorcycles my whole life in excess of 200,000 miles. I rode because I loved it in spite of the dangers. Oh, and "dress for the crash, not for the ride". Think about it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
New solutions have new problems. Being older, being inexperienced riding a motorcycle or scooter two up is an accident waiting to happen. If you decide to do this take a motorcycle safety foundation course. I have ridden motorcycles my whole life in excess of 200,000 miles. I rode because I loved it in spite of the dangers. Oh, and "dress for the crash, not for the ride". Think about it.

Dan
Inclined to agree! I think new riders in the senior age group are ufortunately are quite high in the accident stats - along with the very young crowd on excessively powerful sport bikes.

They are good fun through!

I have been riding on and off since age 13, and now approaching 75 just decided a couple of weeks ago not to push my luck any further!

They always say it is not IF you will have an accident with a bike, but WHEN!

As of two weeks ago my bike was traded in on a VW GTI! That can be my fun vehicle now!

Back in the seventies we had a small and extremely light 20' UK designed "Sprite" travel trailer.

I was able to roll a Honda 70cc "Passport" scooter up a plank inside the trailerc and we did have fun with that on our RV trips for a few years.

Years before that, I had a Lambretta for a while - very similar to the Vespa, but I felt the Honda Passport was safer as it had regular motorcycle sized wheels.

I never liked the small wheels of the scooters. I'm not sure that my concerns were at all based on fact, just a feeling I always had ! I didn't keep the Lambretta very long.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
That scares me. I'm afraid of extending the shaft on a WD hitch. Maybe that's just me.
Also, sharp turns are limited by the potential contact of the AS and Vespa. I'd cry if either was crimped.
Also, you've added 250#+ behind the back of the TV and then added the tongue weight of the AS to a longer lever.

But it's proof that "If there's a will, there's a way"
Have fun.

OBTW. I looked at your tie down straps. I suggest checking out a product called a "Canyon Dancer" It's a strap that's made for bikes with fairings. The straps cross over in the middle so they pull inward as well as down. Just an idea.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

Great idea and set up. As long as it works for you, that is all that matters. I am certainly not going to criticize.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
What is your trailer, tow rig, hitch, and Vespa? I have a GTS 300 but I think it's too much weight for my Silverado 1500 and 27 foot trailer. I'd love to take it with me though.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Increasing receiver length is not a great idea or setup as it increases trailer sway leverage of the trailer to the tow vehicle steering axle, the shorter the tow vehicle wheelbase the worse it gets.

The most stable setup would have a very short distance from hitch ball to tow vehicle rear axle, like a fifth wheel trailer or semi. This is the principle of the Hensley/ProPride hitch design, project the hitch pivot point forward very near the tow vehicle rear axle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Another Vespa story - The neighbor was buzzing around the block on a shiny new red Vespa. It was a real Vespa. It was not one of those foreign copies or one of the new redesigned scooters marketed by the motorcycle folks. It was the true dream deal like the pastel blue one hung up in our local pizza parlor as decor. We were watching her zoom by as she went around and around. On her next trip, she stopped and told us the story. Seems that she had always wanted a Vespa to ride. She also wanted to take a trip to Italy. Seems her Husband thought the Vespa was a better investment than the trip. Not a solution that would have been safe to suggest in our house, but - Zoom, zoom, zoom! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I should have put that we own and ride bikes and both have motorcycle licenses. I'm 50 but I still ride a CR250R and get that in my F150 just fine. I also have a Road King.

Speaking of Honda's the Ruckus looks like a fun time.

Glad to hear there are a few having fun with these things in the RV world. Honestly, it just seems like a great match. My TV is big and will always be. These things could get you to the corner store or up the the trail head when the lot is full!
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I should have put that we own and ride bikes and both have motorcycle licenses. I'm 50 but I still ride a CR250R and get that in my F150 just fine. I also have a Road King.

Speaking of Honda's the Ruckus looks like a fun time.

Glad to hear there are a few having fun with these things in the RV world. Honestly, it just seems like a great match. My TV is big and will always be. These things could get you to the corner store or up the the trail head when the lot is full!
Haha,

Please ignore my previous post - apologies!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have three motorcycles and still want a Vespa. They're cool!
But I'd probably get a Silver Wing or a Bergman 400. In any case, scooters are in!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Vespa?

Had two scooters, a Vespa GTS 300 i.e. and a Yamaha Majesty. The Vespa was my urban scooter and the Yamaha was my road trip ride. Both were great scoots but I decided a few years back to go the motor cycle route and bought s Honda CTX 700. It had Honda's DCT automatic transmission which frees me from the burdens of shifting which I enjoyed from my scooter days.Click image for larger version

Name:	26254_1360443324226_5117468_n.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	286672Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	286673
Click image for larger version

Name:	8833_1218167367832_293521_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.2 KB