Old 09-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Came up with a partial/temporary solution. Found some suction cups that a wood dowel can be inserted into. Whatever the distance is when the window is opened to the first slot, the dowel and two suction cups will be threat length. Will have the suction cup "attached" inside the window in the lower middle edge and the other end will just rest against the frame. Due to the downward pressure on the window, hopefully this will help from the window collapsing. If it works, will,take some pics.

We are in Saint John NB, raining so hard I have not tried the middle slot.

Beach Bum, still let me know what you find out.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #16
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
We have been on the road since Mid May, almost all the time in cooler weather. We are now in PEI. With the temps rising, we are wanting to open the windows. They are fine with a very slight breeze, much more than that and they close. Is something loose, or is this just another Airstream characteristic that one must put up with?

All of my windows behave the same way. I just go with the flow. The rational being if they don't stay open, it's too windy. Close them. Phenomena is related to the Newfoundland weather station. Incidentally, I have been to Saint John about 30 times over the past 10 years and it has rained every time except in the winter and then it snows. Really enjoying your log. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 09-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Thanks Jim...sent you a PM.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Gearhart, the wind pushes on the window down, not up....at least that is what I noticed...it happens quick.

Beach Bum, thanks, and please let me know what you find out.

Switz, I will try using the second slot and see if the windows close on their own.
I had the tech at Sanders look at the window. There is no fix. Switz had it right there is not enough angle angle in the lower slot of that window to hold it open in the wind. It appears AS uses the same arm holding brackets for all the windows so the arm angle varies depending on the window size and where its installed.

I guess one could move the bracket higher to create a larger angle but that could create a problem of the upper slot being to high. For me it's not worth the effort to futz with it.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I assume everyone is talking about the windows pictured below, which are common to the Flying Cloud line, I believe, and not to other lines such as the Sport which has those dinky little slide-open mini-windows with a large pane of FIXED glass above? ["Hehr" windows?]

With regard to the windows closing in the wind, in my opinion this happens when two opposing forces become imbalanced:

1. Gravity and friction -- two properly engaged-in-the-indent support arms rely on gravity to keep the arms in the indents, and on friction not to come out of the indents;

2. Air lifting the window from below (IMO), which -- especially for a wide-open window -- has lots of leverage (distance away from the fulcrum/hinge on top) to lift the glass and overpower gravity/friction holding the support arm in the indent.

Et Voila!

A window which closes itself (because gravity usually wins in the absence of an equal and opposite force . . . )

Clear as smoked glass?

The two windows next to the dinette on the road side of our Flying Cloud 20:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 windows 19 NOV 2015.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	252524
Old 11-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- I am personally very grateful that our FC20 has these windows, which are similar to the older ones in my 25' AS from the 1990's. Without these large opening screened windows, roughing it without AC would be impossible in the summer IMO. I don't know how people do it with the Sport's mini-sliders.

PS2 -- SilverEagle6, if your window support arms are properly engaged in the indents at the bottom, where they meet the receiving slot with 3 or so indents to receive them, it is unlikely that a wind pushing down on the windows is causing them to close IMO, unless perhaps there is a slight updraft (not perceived?) first which disengages things. Can you post some photos? Your 2013 set up may be different than our 2014 model year Flying Cloud . . .

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With the arms in the bottom slot on our Classic rear window (also the escape hatch), the glass is about an inch from the bottom pf the frame. The other six windows are almost four inches away from the frame with the arms in the same bottom slot.

Obviously, the rear window arms are not in an optional position which would be mounted lower in the frame for more leverage in the bottom slot. I don't need the window above 45 degrees in the top slot.

When I get back to Phoenix late Monday night, I will plan to stop by the trailer over the Holiday and, with the insights from the discussions, see if there are any viable options I can dream up that also do not interfere with closing the window when needed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, it happens to ours. The PEI wind can really rip. When it's that windy I rely on the two MaxxAir fans which do a good job.

BTW the last time we were on PEI (last year) there were six or seven 25 footers in a row at the campground- all but two unrelated.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
When we visited the MS, a lady who was having some work done said she installed the two position switches on her Fantastic Fans so one could blow out while the other pulled in outside air. Evidently some fantastic fans are equipped with this option. The fans on our FC are exhaust only. She got her switches from Amazon. Pat
Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes I frequently set one fan on in and the other on out. Even set on a very low speed (and therefore low battery drain) it works well.