Old 12-05-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Vehicle refueling safety

I had this situation about a month ago filling a couple metal gas cans for the lawn mower.....

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Few American motorists know that static electricity around gas pumps can ignite a deadly fire while they're filling up.
Ignacio Sierra has personal experience of that danger. He was pumping gasoline when his vehicle suddenly burst into flames with his daughter Esperanza inside. "She started screaming," remembers Sierra. "I knew if I opened the door, the flames would start to go inside." He did manage to get Esperanza out unharmed, but the fire ruined his car and destroyed the gas station. Sierra set off the blaze by doing something many motorists do; he re-entered his car to retrieve money while the gas was still pumping. His movement created friction against the car seat that built up static electricity in his body. Then when he exited the car and touched the gas pump nozzle, the electricity sparked and ignited the gas fumes coming from his car's gas tank. About a dozen victims of static gas pump fires have talked to CNN. All said they had no idea this sort of fire was a possibility until it happened to them. And some say they will never put gas in their vehicles if their children are with them. A woman who asked to be identified only as Carol said a static gas pump fire is blamed for burning her daughter so badly she needed skin grafts on her legs. Static gas pump fires
? Static electricity buildup more common in cool, dry air? Static gas pump fires more common in the winter? Static gas pump fires occur more often with women? Static gas pump fires have been reported in 35 states

Carol had put the gas pump nozzle on automatic and re-entered her car to write a check. When her then-12-year-old daughter, wearing a sweater and jacket that may have created static electricity, reached for the nozzle, flames suddenly ignited her clothing.
The Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) has documented 129 such fires since the early 1990s.
All those fires infuriate electrical engineer Steven Fowler because he says they were all preventable.
"We have to accept the fact that refueling is dangerous. We can't hide that from the public anymore," said Fowler, a static electricity expert.
The solution, he said, is to put up stickers that read "touch me." The stickers are placed over metal and when people touch them, their bodies discharge static electricity safely.
But Fowler said no gas stations plan to put them up, except for the SPINX Oil Company chain of 80 stations in South Carolina.
The American Petroleum Institute is concerned that those stickers may detract from other warnings such as ones about smoking while pumping gas, which is far more dangerous.
"That whole debate is what is the right language and how do we best warn our customers how do they safely refill?" said Denise McCourt of the American Petroleum Institute.
Some stations do put up a list of warnings, which include static fires, but Fowler said the advice gets lost in a sea of words.
However, consumers need to be warned of another fire danger involving gas pump nozzles, according to Fowler. A surveillance videotape from a gas station in Oklahoma shows a fire that cost the life of a 32-year-old mother of four. It's not known what caused the fire, but had the woman left the nozzle in the gas tank, engineers say she probably would have lived. But the nozzle was too hot, Fowler said, so the woman grabbed the hose. "When she did, it did a snake routine and sprayed gasoline in all directions and she tried to get away but it was too late," he said. Again, only one gasoline chain in South Carolina plans on using labels on nozzles that warn: In case of fire, do not remove nozzle from the vehicle. "We have seen the film of that woman that actually died. And we don't want that to happen," said Eric Baumholser of SPINX. But the American Petroleum Institute says just reading the label could be dangerous. "We probably don't want to have people have their face that close to that nozzle," said McCourt.

Visit Idaho The people are great
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I got yelled at the other day for refueling a plastic gasoline can in the back of my pickup truck. The cashier at the convienence store came running out, and explained that plastic gas cans are more prone to static discharge, and the proper way to refuel them is to remove them from the vehicle and fill them setting on the ground. They just had a fire caused by this several days ago.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Gas 2 Ash.....

Hi Guys...
You certainaly kn how 2 put the smoke up peoples pants...some of U may kn that I are a SAFETY REP, RACKING INSPECTOR and FIRE MARSHAL, at my place of work...
.....Well a while ago I saw a DRIVER filling up his lorry...which takes a long time...infact long enough for him to make a mobile fone call, and SMOKE his cigarette......the rest U DON'T wanna know...but I can assure U, he WON'T do it agn....
...after all...he is NOT the only one who works on our site....
Tut, tut,...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Aircraft MUST have a ground wire attached before refuelling. (at least in Canada)

Why aren't motor vehicles required to do the same.

When I flew in the bush and fuelling out of drums, I would have a ground strap attached between the drum and the aircraft.

Synthetic clothing is more prone to static as one of our pilots found out when a nice Cessna 180 burned up while refuelling in the cold and he was wearing a nylon parka.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

Say Guys...
I also heard of a poor 'ole Guy who blew himself up, whilst re-filling liquid gas cylinders, he was wearing a NYLON jumper at the time, and one gas bottle had a slow leak on the filler joint..and sadly he somehow caused a spark...
The huge crater, where the gas tank once sat, is now a POND...named " JACK'S "...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote