Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Ridge Runner

1998 34' Excella 1000
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
Vehicle intentionally trying to cause an accident

Has anybody had an other vehicle try to cause an accident while towing your trailer.
Last year on our fall trip, we were on I-55 headed north in AK, we noticed an old Chevrolet laying down some smoke and going slow.
I pulled into the passing lane going 65 mph to pass, as we got past the car and turning into the right lane, the car speedup. I pushed the truck up to 70 mph and the car was trying stay in the right lane. I had to push the truck to 75 to get over, noticed the windows were all tinted so you couldn't she the driver or anybody.
The car then speed by me and slowed down to 45 mph and this went on for several times. I started to call the HP , saw a rest area and pulled in and the car speed off. Never saw it again. Unnerving to say the least.
We wil be going that way this fall and I will keep an eye out for that car.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
While I've never had this happen with the Argosy in tow, I have had it happen!

Keep a cell phone with you, write down the tag number and call to report. Whether the driver is impaired, trying to deliberatly casue an accident or just has a sick sense of humor, they need to be reported.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Not had it happen...but definately heard of the scam!

I think they are trying to antagonize us "millionaire Airstream owners" in hopes of causing an accident or road rage incident so they can either rob or sue...

SHari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hell, I thought that it only happened in California.
We got those idiots that purposely cut you off trying to cause an accident.

You did the smart thing though. No reason to tempt faith.

Take care,

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Happens to me nearly every day. I work for a very large company and drive a Ford E250 Service Van with the company name on all four sides. Just about every day somebody cuts me off in traffic, quickly changes lanes, pulls out of a parking lot too late, etc, etc.

I thought I was just being paranoid until I started talking to my coworkers. They get the same treatment all over the Atlanta region, all the time. Seems if you're involved in any kind of accident, the predatory lawyers jump on you. I've learned to stay very alert always.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've been towing our Airstream on the Interstate, and almost every time some ID10T has been parked on the shoulder, and s-l-o-w-l-y eases out into the road before trying to accelerate up to highway speed. I have ceased nearly wiping out trying to avoid them. If they really want the sun to set on their empire that badly, I am pretty sure my 13,000+pound combintation will make short work of their 2200 pound Geo (or Honda, Nissan, or whatever tiny rubber-band-powered hamstercage they are driving). I don't look for these things, and I try to watch far enough ahead that I can change lanes if needed, but I am not going to crash, and have them tool slowly away, completely unaware they did anything wrong.
Okay, soapbox off.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you guys should see the view from the cab of my truck when i am at work at the big bad power company.

i swear there are bull's eyes painted on it!

john
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
try it

rolling with red lights and siren on in a fire engine-----------I know -- they keep us in business!! JUST in case you have not heard--- "Pull to the right for sirens and lights" and help us live a little longer
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
rolling with red lights and siren on in a fire engine-----------I know -- they keep us in business!!
I just put fresh brakes on a fire engine Monday, one of the calipers locked up on it when they had to jam on the brakes to keep from hitting a car.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Janet's right about reporting these guys to the cops, even if you have to wait until you hit the next gas station to call it in. Recently in our area they pulled over a guy for reckless driving, and he tried to blame it on the other car having antagonized him, BUT the police had all these calls about him stacked up from other drivers he'd harrassed over the past few months. So even if they can't go out and arrest them because of your one call, it might help down the line.

Personally, when I get jerks like that I always figure they are high or drunk and try to get away from them, even if it means making an unplanned rest stop or exit. It makes it so much more relaxing to get underway again with them far off in the distance (hopefully overturned in a ditch somewhere)!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in the nyc metro area, many drivers quickly react to letting emergency vehicles pass them. sadly, it is only so they can follow a fast moving, freshly cleared, path.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Besides the run of the mill idiots, there is a cottage industry of insurance fraud, usually involving two vehicles-one to cause the accident by panic-stopping or cutting in abruptly, and the other to "witness" the accident usually perpetrated by (put your favorite ethnic group here, even your own if you want to)).

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
traveling north

Its too bad that you have to pass thru gun prohibited Canada to get up to Alaska. The problem would have been solved otherwise....for some of us.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Guess I lead a charmed life. I have seen some pretty stupid driving but none that I can remember looked like they were trying to cause trouble.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The soluiton is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
video camera is your friend.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
When we were trucking the other drivers told us to be careful around the indian reservations as they would do darn near anything to cause 18 wheelers to hit them so they could sue a big trucking company....they were right.
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
Ridge Runner

1998 34' Excella 1000
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
Made boboo

I missed typed the wrong abbrevaiton, it should have been AR. Sorry about that folks.
Don't type so good in my old age.
I was traveling from Ocean Spring, Ms. on I-10 and the car in front of me was in the passing lane. When they saw a car coming from an on ramp they would move to the slow lane. They did this several times, so I wrote down their lic #.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet Happens Frequently

[quote=thecatsandi]I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The solution is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.[/quote]

Lack of skill, a.k.a. stupidity, when merging onto the interstate is one of my biggest pet peeves. People don't look ahead to "pick their spot" but instead think it is the other guy's job to make room for them or they don't enter with enough mph to blend in with the flow of traffic or don't stay to the right when cars are right behind them waiting to pass, or, or, or. Then there's the guy who jets up on your right, going 100 mph or more, just as you, going 75 mph, are about to overtake another car. He then shoots between the two of you, changing lanes at the same time. We had a motorcycle do that one time also. HOLY HEART ATTACK
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
[quote=eikel1we]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The solution is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.[/quote]

Lack of skill, a.k.a. stupidity, when merging onto the interstate is one of my biggest pet peeves. People don't look ahead to "pick their spot" but instead think it is the other guy's job to make room for them or they don't enter with enough mph to blend in with the flow of traffic or don't stay to the right when cars are right behind them waiting to pass, or, or, or. Then there's the guy who jets up on your right, going 100 mph or more, just as you, going 75 mph, are about to overtake another car. He then shoots between the two of you, changing lanes at the same time. We had a motorcycle do that one time also. HOLY HEART ATTACK
Truth is, the Massachusetts drivers we see around here will never look before merging! I'm not sure if they have a death wish or that's just the way they do it in Massachusetts! I hate to use generalizations - but, from my perspective, it's a fact. On the other hand, I've had the opportunity to do a lot of driving in upstate New York lately and New Yorkers get my vote for being some of the best, and most courteous, drivers around.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote