Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Report The Bad Drivers by Cell Phone

I have dear friends with a big box SOB motorhome. He has told me of many instances of a driver passing by them and then slamming on the brakes. He has had a few close calls with the motorhome. He is on the watch now and stays very alert. His wife keeps the CB and cell phone handy.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Pulling over for passing cars

I realize it's a time honored tradition here in the Lone Star state to pull over onto the shoulder for passing cars but it's one that should go away (IMHO). The shoulder is where all the rocks, road debris and other hazards live and driving there can kick it up into someone's windshield. It's also common in Texas for the highway department to build small bridges with a shoulder, and no warning sign that the shoulder is going away.

I think (up on my soapbox now) that the roadway should be used for it's intended purpose (travelling) and the shoulder for it's intended purpose (non travelling) and that people should just hold their horses and wait to pass until it's safe. I also understand that this is a minority opinion.

When I drove big trucks over the road, about once a month I would have someone intentionally cut close in front of me and then jam onto their brakes to try and make me ram into them for the insurance. I stayed alert for this sort thing (at least after the first time it happened) and also relied on the stopping power of 18 big tires mashed onto the roadway by 80000 lbs (which is underestimated by most folks who haven't driven a big truck).

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Crusty, I'm with you on not pulling to the shoulder to pass. It's the dumbest thing I have even seen.
Chris and Christina- Boerne, TX / Evergreen, CO - TAC TX-7
2008 27'FB Int'l Signature CCD
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
It's a dangerous world

I have been zooming around on my various Kawasakis for 43 years without any serious crashes, by assuming everyone else on the road is TRYING to kill me. It works! Stay safe. LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I don't nescessarily agree with this but My parents had several stories about people trying to run them off the road of hit the brakes in front of them when they used to Snowbird to Arizona each year. My uncle started going with them in His Airsteam after He retired. He thought if he made a statement for all to see maybe the nuts on the highway would leave him alone. Sooooo....on the back of his trailer and on the sides of his pickup shell....he put a professionally made sign that read "contents protected by MR SMITH AND MR WESSON". He told me He never had a problem again.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #34

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Crusty
about once a month I would have someone intentionally cut close in front of me and then jam onto their brakes to try and make me ram into them for the insurance.
Drive a truck like mine and this will never happen

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
two lane blues

i'll see your smoker and raise you an foreign sedan running slow and and when I tried to pass held me off to 80 and then slowed down holding me in the oncoming lane. I must admit that my frustration got the best of me and we just out ran him and pulled back into the right lane.
life gets wierder by the minute.
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #36
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I had a wierd one 2 weeks ago while I was towing the Trade Wind. Two lane divided 55 MPH hwy (AZ-260 East of Payson). I am in the right lane running around 58 MPH on Cruse Control. A car is about 50 yards behind in the fast lane. The road goes to one lane in a mile and this guy makes his move to pass me. He gets next to the trailer and sits there for the next 1/2 mile. At that point I speed up to get out of the lane that will go away soon. He matches my speed (65+) and stays next to the trailer. I then back off (50)and he does the same. At this point I need to get out of the right lane quick so I punch it and turn into the lane at around 70MPH. I had room, but I can tell this guy is pissed. He stays behind untill I get to Payson and then pulls up next to me yelling. I pickup the cell phone and he burns rubber and I never see him again....

What was that all about?

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #37

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by azflycaster
What was that all about?
The technical term is analscopic vision

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #38
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Two things could have happened.
One: some people stop driving when the get near another vehicle they speed match un-consciencely (sp?)
Two: He was doing it on purpose. faking the mad when it was all over. I have used the cell phone too when this kind of thing happens to me they usually split.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
First trip, first Airstream...

First time towing the 22 CCD and I'm on I-64 west heading towards Richmond VA - nervous but happy. I'd chosen the time for lowest traffic and had left the urban area so I was just starting to relax when a car following me sped up drastically to catch up with me.

That clown stayed in the left lane right beside me, matching my speed when I went a bit faster or a bit slower for over ten miles. I was near to panic because he wasn't paying attention to driving, but seemed to be jesticulating wildly to all of the other occupants of his car. I wasn't tired, but pulled into the nearest rest stop (nearly going to the "cars only" section out of force of habit). Would you believe that the jerk followed me into the rest stop? I was looking around for a trooper or at least a big truck driver to lend assistance when he pulled up next to me, jumped out and exclaimed "OH MY GOD its an Airstream! I've wanted one of those since I was a kid! How do you keep yours looking so nice? It's beautiful, is it for sale?"

He really hadn't seen one in years, didn't know they were still made and was nearly wild to have one. I did gently suggest that he had unsettled me by driving so close for such a distance, but he was apologetic, so I told him where to find this website and the only dealership in VA. Of course I unlocked the A/S for him to peek in.

There are some con men out there, there are some drunks, some crazies and far more who are driving distracted by cell phones, passengers, or personal problems. We all should watch out all the time.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
There are some real candidates for the Darwin award out there. While towing, I had a guy in a little Honda Civic so pissed I held him up while passing, he cut around in front of me and slammed on the brakes while giving me the finger out the window. I guess he expected to hear tires squealing instead a turbo spooling up and seeing a mirror full of SuperDuty grill approaching him at ramming speed. He cut back over to the left lane just in time and took off. I've heard 18-wheeler drivers say that happens to them! Maybe we need to make Physics mandatory in high-school.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I used to own a motorcycle. Sold it!
I got tired of people trying to run me off the road. The clincher was when I was driving a two lane road and they purposely came over into my lane to run me off the road. That was enough for me.....
Lots of ID10T's out there!
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
This is somewhat of a related topic how many leave the hitch bar in place after towing to ward off tailgaters? I have a Hensley and actually remove the Hensley bar and Install my old weight distribution bar with the drop head. My truck has slightly larger tires and puts the hitch above most car bumpers. I see cars pull up behind my truck and then back away quickly everyday.

I also have one of the cheap rearview cameras mounted in the rear window of my trailer it really helps on the highway.

Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote