Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The soluiton is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
video camera is your friend.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
When we were trucking the other drivers told us to be careful around the indian reservations as they would do darn near anything to cause 18 wheelers to hit them so they could sue a big trucking company....they were right.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #18
Ridge Runner

1998 34' Excella 1000
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
Made boboo

I missed typed the wrong abbrevaiton, it should have been AR. Sorry about that folks.
Don't type so good in my old age.
I was traveling from Ocean Spring, Ms. on I-10 and the car in front of me was in the passing lane. When they saw a car coming from an on ramp they would move to the slow lane. They did this several times, so I wrote down their lic #.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet Happens Frequently

[quote=thecatsandi]I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The solution is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.[/quote]

Lack of skill, a.k.a. stupidity, when merging onto the interstate is one of my biggest pet peeves. People don't look ahead to "pick their spot" but instead think it is the other guy's job to make room for them or they don't enter with enough mph to blend in with the flow of traffic or don't stay to the right when cars are right behind them waiting to pass, or, or, or. Then there's the guy who jets up on your right, going 100 mph or more, just as you, going 75 mph, are about to overtake another car. He then shoots between the two of you, changing lanes at the same time. We had a motorcycle do that one time also. HOLY HEART ATTACK
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
[quote=eikel1we]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have had someone try to do that to me I also have had someone merging onto the highway get pissed beacuse I was travelling in the slow lanether ewas traffic next to me and i could not move over.

The solution is to slow down and let them just stay ahead of you. Pulling off was the best thing to do.[/quote]

Lack of skill, a.k.a. stupidity, when merging onto the interstate is one of my biggest pet peeves. People don't look ahead to "pick their spot" but instead think it is the other guy's job to make room for them or they don't enter with enough mph to blend in with the flow of traffic or don't stay to the right when cars are right behind them waiting to pass, or, or, or. Then there's the guy who jets up on your right, going 100 mph or more, just as you, going 75 mph, are about to overtake another car. He then shoots between the two of you, changing lanes at the same time. We had a motorcycle do that one time also. HOLY HEART ATTACK
Truth is, the Massachusetts drivers we see around here will never look before merging! I'm not sure if they have a death wish or that's just the way they do it in Massachusetts! I hate to use generalizations - but, from my perspective, it's a fact. On the other hand, I've had the opportunity to do a lot of driving in upstate New York lately and New Yorkers get my vote for being some of the best, and most courteous, drivers around.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

While traveling in South TX, I wasn't privy to the law where any vehicle that is being passed must pull onto the shoulder so the faster car can pass. I noticed this as I was passed (going the posted speed limit) on multiple occassions w/ the 1finger salute. When we stopped for the eve. I asked the camphost about it and he explained that most TX'ns are used to the "locals" (read mexicans) pulling over onto the shoulder because they don't want to get run over by the Americans. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I've noticed this in SoCal a lot but here I don't think it's as much they're trying to cause an accident as they feel entitled. Entitled to be first, to get there first, not wait their turn. I see this not only on the road but when shopping with my semi-elderly mom, at amusement parks, markets. It's like we're all just extras milling around the outskirts of their life. Manners have gone out the window.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
While traveling in South TX, I wasn't privy to the law where any vehicle that is being passed must pull onto the shoulder so the faster car can pass. I noticed this as I was passed (going the posted speed limit) on multiple occassions w/ the 1finger salute. When we stopped for the eve. I asked the camphost about it and he explained that most TX'ns are used to the "locals" (read mexicans) pulling over onto the shoulder because they don't want to get run over by the Americans. Anyone else experience this?
You are indeed correct. There is a shoulder on many if not most of the TX State highways wide enough for you to pull over and let the person behind you pass. I visit with my sister in Corpus Christi each year and see this every time I am there. I'm sure that the one finger salute is because some of them think that every State has this wide shoulder, TN. doesn't, and you are doing it on purpose. The dead giveaway would be the out of state license on your trailer but some don't think that far.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
After a decade of driving and riding in ambulances around Jackonsville, FL, I saw thousands of times this technique for interstate entry: accelerate to the end of the ramp and slam on the brakes. Stop and look fearfully at the oncoming cars. Pull out when you see the ambulance or the dump truck or the garbage truck coming in the slow lane. Surely THEY won't hit you, and they must be further away than they appear.

Thank God for air horns. (They made me feel better.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
It's actually not the "mexicans" that this is done by/for -- it has been a long and time-honored tradition in Texas. Gramps in his old pickup would pull onto and tool along the shoulder while faster folks would go on by. It was about courtesy and nicely yielding the road to faster folks without causing safety issues by making them pass in the oncoming lane. And you would always give a wave as you went by to say thanks, and it included all of your fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Laguna Niguel , California
Just yesterday driving on I-5 south through Los Angeles with our Airstream in tow we had a brand new Mercedes with tinted windows and dealer plates stopped on the shoulder dart out in front of us. I had to brake hard to not hit this Mercedes AMG. This is the one time I was thankful for the slow drive on the 5 because our speed was already slow. What bugged me most, though, was I was already leaving extra space in front of me, and the driver of the other car waited until literally the last second. I know if I drove a new AMG that I would not be looking to get hit with a 14,000+ combo!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I've had the same situation happen to me - the driver was either trying to cause an accident, was high/drunk or just plain ol' crazy.

Wasn't towing, but came up to this jerk driving below speed limit on a 2 lane highway. I followed them for a bit of course, and at the first safe opportunity pulled out to pass them.

Of course, for this crazy jerk, that was just the perfect time to speed up. Significantly. I had to drop back behind them as I couldn't pass them in time.

And of course, that was their cue to drop the speed again.

This went on for way too long until I decided to put my V6 in gear and muscle past him (he was driving a piece of junk). Was he ticked off. But I felt safer with him being well behind me than driving unpredictably in front of me.

I couldn't figure it out. Do some people have some sort of recessive trait that doesn't allow them to be passed?? Or is it some sort of wonky testosterone issue (sorry guys)?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think folks who play this sort of game on the highway are not at all innocent. I believe they are playing some sort of scam or that they are actually trying to cause the "victim" (that is you or me) harm for whatever reason. We may never know the rationale. The prudent choice of action is to get out of their line of fire, so to speak, even is that means pulling off and letting them go off into the sunset. That, and getting a license plate #, description of the car and occupants if possible, and calling 911 to report the incident ASAP....and let Smokey Joe do his job. Believe it or not, their bad karma will catch up with them.

TB