Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Vancouver Island trip

My wife and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary in June. When posed whether she wanted to go to Paris or take the AS, she chose the AS. What a gal!

Anyway, we are driving from SF Bay area up to Port Angeles and then taking the ferry to Vancouver island for a week. I need some advice on where to stay, both on Vancouver island and some nice places off of I5. We do have reservations at Weirs Beach outside of Victoria and that seems OK.

Any help would sure be appreciated. Boondocking is definitely OK, BTW.

2007 Safari FB SE LS
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab
WBCCI 1538

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations on 40 years together! We are celebrating our 42nd anniversary in June, and hope to make the same trip a few years from now, after we retire. We'd like to go sooner, but we are driving from Phoenix, which makes this a really long roadtrip.

There are lots of things to see and do on Vancouver Island; it's like going to Europe, but everyone speaks English. Don't miss Bouchart Gardens (may be misspelled) even if you aren't into plants and flowers; you won't be disappointed -- that's an all day stop. And, Victoria is beautiful in the evening, and very safe, even late at night. On the trip back, Vancouver city has lots of museums and good restaurants and night life. Not sure, but their Chinatown may even be bigger than San Francisco's.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Tide tables, tide tables, tide tables. Loading and unloading on low tides is dicey, to say the least. We'll be back up in WA in April for the summer, will do some checking, feel free to post or pm.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
Vancouver island for a week. I need some advice on where to stay, both on Vancouver island and some nice places off of I5. We do have reservations at Weirs Beach outside of Victoria and that seems OK.
I dunno, given the choice of Paris and boondocking and your bride chose boondocking? You certainly have a keeper there!

According to Woodalls, the two most interesting places on Vancouver Island are:

Malahat Mountain Meadows RV Resort (888) 478-5452 who seem to be fairly small, but in a beautiful area (and they have all the goodies, 50 amps, Internet, Pets welcome, Swimming etc). But, they only got two "W"s (Woodalls rating system. That might mean they stink, or they have just not had many visitors, though). Their web site is and talks a lot about seclusion, back to nature, etc.

The other one has four "W"s each for both Facilities and Recreation, so I would have high expectations of a Good Time there. It's called Country Maples RV Resort, and you can find them in the website. It's a bigger camp, and has a few more amenities, but have a look on the web.

The second one appears to be a bit larger, but both seem to be quite enticing, and reasonably priced.

Both are on Vancouver Island of course, but don't forget that there are tons of beautiful places and things to do on the Mainland, too!

I'm jealous! That's not a bad drive for you, but it's a l-o-n-g way for us here in Ontario and points east.

Have a great time there!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote