Old 05-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You don't have to stay with your car. You can wander all over the ferry. There is a restaurant, gift shop, large outdoor decks, etc. Dogs are restricted to the vehicle deck, but you can take him out to walk around and enjoy the view from the front or rear of the main vehicle deck. There is also a pet are where you can sit with your dog. This is rather small and kennelish, so I just take my two out onto the vehicle deck for walks and to meet with other dog people.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good to hear that either is possible. I was thinking about taking an Amtrack train ride in the states lately but they have no provisions for pets, not even a kennel on the trains. So I didn't make that trip. I am glad to see that the ferry companies in Canada have thought about the needs of their customers. This will work for me.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Thanks for the correct link Cameront.

Bluto don't forget that after June 1, you will need a passport for travel to Canada. An Enhanced Drivers License can also be used. We have them in Washington but I don't know about Texas.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bluto, there are many national parks in BC as well. One is even named Glacier National Park and is hundred of miles away from the Glacier NP in Montana. You can spend a lot of time in BC, then even more in Washington and Oregon. After you make this trip, you'll come back to see more.

There are different ferry lines—Black Ball and BC have been mentioned. I'm sure Cameron knows all there is to know about pet policies, but better check before you leave to make there are no changes. Ferries in other parts of Canada and US require pets to stay in cars and give you short periods to walk them periodically, but those are ferries that have much longer trips (Alaska state ferry, Newfoundland-Nova Scotia), so that is a different situation. You will have to find out whether you will be required to close your propane tank valves and make sure the fridge is cold enough for the trip. Again, on these shorter trips it probably makes no difference. I think the Port Angeles-Victoria run is 90 minutes.

Gene
Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Smartstream, I forgot about the passport regs. I'll make sure I have mine on hand. That would be a disaster if it was over looked.

CrawfordGene, The ferry experience will be all new to me and I'm looking forward to it. It's a good idea for me to check ahead, never thought about the propane tanks and fridge. Since I know the names of these ferry lines now, it will be easy enough to check that stuff before hand.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you don't have passports, it should take about 6 weeks to get them, I believe. There's a gov't website explaining it all. You can print out the form or get it from a post office nearby. Many post offices will take the photos, or AAA (costs more if you're not a member), and all will provide really bad pictures just like on your driver's license.

The fridge should stay cold for quite a while and a few frozen gel packs in them would insure it. The more packed with food they are (as long as there's some air circulation), the colder they stay. This is more of an issue if you were going from Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland, because that's a 5-6 hour trip plus loading and unloading, but it's good to be aware of all options.

Gene
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
BC Ferries require propane to be turned off before boarding. It's only an hour and a half, so I wouldn't sweat it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
[quote=Bluto;701158]Smartstream, I forgot about the passport regs. I'll make sure I have mine on hand. That would be a disaster if it was over looked.

Don't forget to have the papers for your pets showing they've had all their shots and are current.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC
You may want to consider travelling through Banff if you could spectacular mountain ranges and everything that goes along with it. although the town of Banff is a tourist hotspot, the camping is beautiful. From there I would head west through Revelstoke, then the Okanagon Valley. Depending on what time of year you head through the Okanagan valley you might hit one of the wine festivals that go on provided you like wine. even if you don't, still beautiful country. from there continue your course you were planning. it sounds fabulous. enjoy.
The Tourism B.C. website is packed full of information.
p.s. I think Tofino is worth the couple of extra bucks
Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Well if you are going to Banff then you have to continue to Jasper and the Columbia Ice Fields. The Canadian Rockies are spectacular.

I think like you mentioned in a previous post, just go north of the border and stay there. There are just too many things to see and the people are wonderful.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #25
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Vancouver Island

Hi Bluto. My family and i were on the Island last summer and had a great time. When we go back we will do our best to stay here:
Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park - BC Parks
We did a drive through the park and it looked fantastic. Nice sites, good facilities and very close to the water. Have a great time.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Originally, I had Banff in mind as a destination but that has changed to Vancover Island. I might still go to Banff but that all depends.....I don't want to try to squeeze too much into the time I will have in Canada. I'm sure something will have to wait till next visit.

timmy67,
Thanks for the link. I'll jot that down as a definate, maybe. It looks wonderful!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
I have never stayed at this campground but it has been recommended to us a couple of times, check out the website: RV Park at Westbay Marine Village
It has some pretty fantastic Views of Victoria, our Capital City.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Just to throw more choices at you. consider the Gulf Islands too- you could day-trip to them from Swartz Bay (Vancouver Island) with just your tow vehicle, or, better yet, a bicycle. McDonald Campground is nearby, for a basecamp. From about any of these islands, you can rent a kayak and paddle around with seals, eagles, etc. My only experience is a week on Mayne island, but it was fantastic. Jealous of your planned trip! -tim