Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
VA/NC coast or MD south of DC in mid-April

Looking to take a trip in mid-April somewhere between Virginia Beach and The Outer Banks, or maybe MD south of DC.

How is the weather in that time-frame on the coast? Any recommended places? My strong preferences are state/national parks, not RV parks unless there is one right on the beach that isn't to be missed.

If that's not ideal, then any thoughts on MD campgrounds south of DC? Maybe Smallwood State Park?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
Not sure on the VA Beach or OBX that time of year, but the DC area is still going to be on the cool side. That being said, the Cherry Blossom festival is in the early/mid April time frame, and a sight to see if you've never seen it before. Sunrise at the Tidal Basin with the Cherry Blossoms in bloom is amazing.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I live in coastal NC and we rented a house on the beach for many years, in April. April is usually a lovely month for outdoor temps, although cold at night in the first half. But, close to the ocean it can be cold day and night, especially if the wind is from the East, as the ocean is still at winter temps.
We love that time of year for any outdoor activity and now camp more in April than any other month.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
As a life long resident of southeastern Virginia... I want to echo Isbrodsky's comments. April is a great time in the OBX (slang for Outer Banks). Nights can get very cool. There are at least one beach side RV park south of Oregon Inlet. However, I would suggest a different route. And go south to take the ferry system to Cape Hatteras. There is a great campground not too far from the lighthouse. However, be amenable to campgrounds on the sound side. Still have water views and access.

Another place to consider is the Wilmington area and the beaches between there and the OBX. Beautiful areas, not as crowded as OBX can get. The beaches there are a lot wider than on the OBX. Wilmington itself is a great small city.

There are really very little beach front RV camping in Virginia Beach. The closest is First Landing State Park. I have never looked so I don't now much RV beach camping is there. The one thing it does have are a lot of hiking trails and one bike trail south of Shore Drive. But VA Beach has 400,000+ residents. Shore Drive is busy and noisy, all year round. I would seriously recommend the OBX and Wilmington areas over my birth city of VA Beach.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We had a nice stop at the Ocracoke campground in th Hatteras National Seashore in September. No hookups (typical of national park campgrounds) but it's just across the dunes from a beautiful, isolated beach. I'll defer to the others on the weather expectations, but the ferry trip to/from Ocracoke was an experience and the island was far from civilization.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
We stayed at First Landing State Park at Virginia Beach in late May of 2015. We were camped just behind the dune line with a good private spot. I recommend it. I have camped many times on the Outer Banks. If the wind is from the NE it is merciless. If from the W it can blow the mosquitoes out of the marshes. Ocracoke is a great experience.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Thanks all. First Landing seems like a good option. Certainly a little closer to home than OBX.

They all seem to have spots available still. Will keep an eye out. If the weather is nice maybe I will head further south.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Thanks all. First Landing seems like a good option. Certainly a little closer to home than OBX.

They all seem to have spots available still. Will keep an eye out. If the weather is nice maybe I will head further south.
It's true - but it's also NOT rural camping. Well it is, but the "strip" is just around the corner with all of the touristy things you could want. OBX is really only 2-3 hours farther south, and most of it is no longer small quaint towns. As the boomers retire... they come south.

Both are still nice camping areas. There are actually nice campgrounds on the Delmarva Peninsula NORTH of the Bay bridge tunnel too. The temperature difference 17 miles farther north... negligible.

Paula
Old 01-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I'll offer one more... Assateague National Seashore, MD (there is also a state park there). We stayed there in September. Like Ocracoke and First Landing (we've stayed there too), the ocean is just over the dunes from the campground. Google maps in satellite view mode shows just how close. It is closer to home for you, near (but not too near) Ocean City, MD, and it has the unusual distinction of being home to wild horses.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I'll offer one more... Assateague National Seashore, MD
Already have a spot booked there for July! Will be my first time there.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #11
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
It's true - but it's also NOT rural camping. Well it is, but the "strip" is just around the corner with all of the touristy things you could want.
Thanks. I've never been to Virginia Beach and certainly would not want to be in the center of the "strip." But if I can get rural camping very close that could be interesting and fun.

Looking at my schedule a little closer I have about 8 days so figuring 3-ish travel days I can split time between Virginia Beach and OBX.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Relocating to Va.

I am in the process of moving to Fairfield Va. Close to Lexington Va.
Need assistance in locating a covered storage area. Also the nearest Unit that I could join. Any other help or suggestions appreciate . I tried to create a new post but could not figure how to do it. Sorry for tagging onto this post.
Rich Gallagher
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I also like the OBX National Seashore campgrounds but could also recommend Sands of Time Campground in Avon. It is very inexpensive if you join their membership which is very reasonable. It is in between the Sound and the Ocean but the Avon Pier is only a short drive. Lots of grass, shade and birds as I recall. April is a nice time to go there.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg View Post
I am in the process of moving to Fairfield Va. Close to Lexington Va.
Need assistance in locating a covered storage area. Also the nearest Unit that I could join. Any other help or suggestions appreciate . I tried to create a new post but could not figure how to do it. Sorry for tagging onto this post.
Rich Gallagher
Richg

Glad to here you are moving here. I live in Lynchburg, about 50 miles from Lexington. Give me a call at 434-401-4060 anytime. I will help you all I can.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
If you come down the eastern shore, there are commercial camps up toward Delaware and there is a VA state park at Kiptopeke in Cape Charles, just a few minutes north of the Bay Bridge that takes you into Va Bch. It's a nice campground, great if you have a boat as it is right on the bay. A bit north of that is Cherrystone, another commercial park, quite large and lots of amenities. I've stayed at both, and if you have young kids they will probably appreciate the bigger park, Cherrystone. Kiptopeke is better for folks wanting a quieter stay.

Weather should be nice by April, chilly nights but cool to warming days.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote