Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Zeppelinium mentioned a steep grade on Highway 12. The Devil's Backbone deserves extreme caution. It's a 14% grade, down a four mile mining road that runs along a ridge, and it looks straight down on both sides. It's so steep that I had our Tundra in first gear and had to ride the brakes the whole four miles. It's really windy (as in winding), and I don't recall going over about 20-25 mph the whole way down. With a larger trailer, this might be scary for the driver (and terrifying for your passengers, to which my wife will attest). This is one place where you might want to stop at the top to check your hitch and brakes before starting down.

We have only been scared like this when going over the Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Silverton, when sections of the shoulder had collapsed. We were headed south from Silverton to Durango and my wife was on the outside -- with no guard rails. Beautiful drive after you pry your hands off the steering wheel and wipe the sweat out of your eyes.

Captured this photo off of the Internet, because I couldn't find the one we took. Don't know, but suspect this could be challenging headed back up the hill, too. Also, you might burn a lot of fuel in that four miles.
Attached Images

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Thanks Phoenix. I decided to not take UT12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey and am taking US89-UT62-UT24 instead. I prefer to take 12 without a trailer.

4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You're going to see a great piece of geology just east of Kingston on 62.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010328 tuff toadstools-s.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	119910
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master
my plan

I think that I want to go heavy on day trips, without the trailer. I like to
hike and explore. I believe that the rugged back roads obstacles, are
meant to discourage a mass of RVers. I would park the trailer in a few
different centrally located home bases, and take two or three day trips
from each campsite.
On a crazier topic... the sand. We had to get down a road that had a stretch of sand about 1/4 mile long. Supposedly, the key to get through the sand pit was to get a 40 MPH running start, and keep the speed at 40 MPH. Note that we managed the feat in an old beat up, hand me down, traded
for a pot of Red Beans and Rice, Toyota. I have no expertise, except in well maintained dirt roads, and I am not suggesting that anyone should try it.
Just an old story about young bravado.
Be careful, tow fees can be huge from some places in the Southwest.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have been through the area on this loop several times, and can't wait to get back there this summer.
We have twice stayed in Page AZ at the Page RV park on Coppermine Rd.
From there it is 145 miles to both the North Rim and South Rim. In the long days of Summer, getting up early and staying out until dark and driving back in makes for a long day, but a day trip is doable IF you don't mind a long day. The north Rim is usually open by May 15. There is a campground at Jacob Lake which you should check out if you don't want as long a day trip.
Once in Moab, if you want to see one of the miracles of Canyonlands, get up EARLY, about 2 hours before sun up, and drive out to Mesa Arch overlook, and watch the sunrise.
This is your reward:

This photo I took and is in my office printed at 20" x 47".

There is a lifetime of travel in the Grand Circle. You can't see it all in one trip.

TAC # TX-18

AIR # 410
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote