Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
UT to JC in 5 weeks - route recommendations

Starting May 23, we'll be making our way from Zion in southern Utah to Jackson Center for warranty work. We'll have 5 weeks to make the trip. The only confirmed stop along the way is St. Louis, MO whenever we get there.

We prefer blue highways rather than interstates and short driving days (100-175 miles).

Plugging the destinations into Google Maps, if we were to take I-70 the whole way (which we won't, although probably will through central Utah since we would have already traveled 24/89/191 through Moab, Bryce, etc), it would be 1884 miles and take 27 hours through Utah, Colorado, Kansas (or Nebraska if we traveled further north), Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

We're wondering if any forum members have recommendations for routes, roads, and campgrounds along the way. Any help is appreciated!

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I-70 through the San Rafael Swell of Utah and the Colorado Rockies should be really beautiful. If your time permits you could boondock somewhere cool around Moab, and then take HY 128 northeast along the Colorado River back to the Interstate. If you've "done" Arches, &c around Moab but haven't done Dead Horse Point State Park or Fisher Towers, for example, there are still cool places to visit, though Fisher Towers is not really set up for long RVs.

You would also be close to the Colorado National Monument near Fruita. There is a good rest area off I-70 at Fruita with a sani-dump and free coffee.

I don't know if you're at all interested in dinosaurs, but there are several places of interest in and around Moab, Fruita, Dinosaur National Monument, Cleveland dinosaur quarry.

If you're interested in ancestral Puebloan ruins or Navajo country, you might consider Mesa Verde, Hovenweap NM, or Monument Valley.

I-70 takes you over Vale Pass. If you like hot springs, you could stop off in Glenwood Springs. South of there takes you to Aspen and some nice Forest Service campgrounds on the side roads.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote