Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Got no dough for a commercial WiFi antenna? Looking for an inexpensive way to increase the range of your wireless network? A tin can waveguide antenna, or Cantenna, may be just the ticket.

Here's a great Wifi antenna

Or this one for $50

'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #16
Hag of Horror
1968 30' Sovereign
Edge , Near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
And thank you for the voice of tech support.

Really, I work in tech support, too, and I spend a lot of time discussing Bluetooth and hardware problems.

Every now and then we get a customer who prefers to be rabid. In fact, I get them sent to me because I am one of the most patient fellows at our business. It's amazing how many angry types just want somebody to listen to their gripes and say, "There, there" soothingly.

*grinz* Merlyn works right now in Wi-Fi tech least until something less stressful comes along. I have, thankfully, gotten out of Help Desk Support, as I have difficulty with continued happiness when I spend a good part of every day having people yelling at me.

Actually, he says that the people calling in for support from the R.V. parks are the *least* nasty. They tend to be sweet, polite and vewry well-mannered on the whole.

It's those that are calling from the $500 a night resort condos screaming at the top of their lungs because they can't log on to work over their vacation (Huh? If I was spending $10k on a vacation, my boss wouldn't even know where I was *going*!) that tend to be aweful.

People in the Airports are the worst. And they cannot seem to understand that the on-site hardware is often NOT the domain of the Wi-Fi company. Several of the Airports are *thinking* about upgrading their lines to (gasp!) 5 Megabits!

(Think of it like the phone lines: You might get your long-distance from Sprint, MCI, AT&T, or whomever....but if your phone goes out, you don't call your long-distance call your local telephone company who is the one that owns, or has the rights, to the phone lines.)

To give you a hint, what they are planning on upgrading TO isn't large enough to handle the amount of people getting online in their concourses RIGHT NOW. When the lines get overloaded, they go down. That simple.

The lines (which in Wi-Fi are air signal towers, or signal units....we just adapt usage words) are the property and responsibility of the company on whose property they are currently located, unless special dispensation has occurred.

Please remember that if you are sitting in a full R.V. park, or for that matter, in an Airport somewhere, and your Wi-Fi goes down, check first to see if everyone ELSE'S Wi-Fi has gone down....and before calling tech support, call the management of the place you are located and scream at THEM for not having the equipment suitable for the load they get every day.

Yes, they know it isn't beefy enough. I can name two airports whose Wi-Fi goes down EVERY DAY because it gets overloaded....and has gone down EVERY DAY for months.

They are just too cheap to upgrade the equipment.

Caliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Wehave stayed at a number of campgrounds with both free and cost wifi internet access. Some of the signals are better than others, but we have always gotten a sufficient signal.

We recently got an Alltel Aircard to access the internet. We use it at home and on the road in our Airstream. So far, it is working very well for us. We have used it at home in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. We are on an Airstream trip now, and have used it all the way over to Jacksonville on I-10. We are currently using it in Jacksonville. Thus far, it has worked great everywhere we have been. We will be leaving with the Airstream on Monday. We are going to Waterbury, Connecticut, for a trade show. Then on to Washington, DC, and Greensboro, North Carolina, before returning home around the 1st of November. We will report on how it works.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #18
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Gainesville , Florida
hi power wireless cards/external antenna

does anyone have experience with any of these products to add to notebooks? although there are many ads on-line, I am unable to find any reviews in pc magazines.
PNoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
We just finished a 3-week, 5500 mile, 8 state maiden voyage and found that WiFi at campgrounds was spotty at best. The operators knew little about the Internet and were of no help when there were log-on issues. Both of us had laptops, but in most cases we could only use one at a time because the network couldn't allow two log-ins with the same password. We discovered that poaching WiFi from motels was the most reliable with the best signals and speeds. Just pull up to a motel that advertises "Free Wireless" and look for a signal. Many don't require a password. I even discovered that I could "hack" into some by entering the name of the place as the password, or adding "login" to the password. Coffee shops and delis that offer free WiFi are other good sources on the road because the signal is strong and users are minimal.
Airylle 1972 Safari featured for 5 nanoseconds in the movie Wild Hogs

Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Nipomo , California
Has anyone tried the Cantenna? It is a directional wi-fi antenna that looks like a Pringles box on a tripod.
Mike Young & Rosemary Nelson

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
In this day and age, don't bother with a cantenna, thats very old school now. Spend a tiny bit of money and get something like this: Invictus Wireless - Wireless Solutions for 802.11x, WiFi, Antennas, etc. or this: Invictus Wireless - Wireless Solutions for 802.11x, WiFi, Antennas, etc.. They both come with the POE adapter, so all you would have to do is set it up outside, run the ethernet into your trailer. Then plug it into your power block (POE adapter) and plug another ethernet into either a switch for more then one computer, or directly into your computer. After that you configure it, and can point it dead on via the LED's on the side of the actual unit. I plan on welding a pipe mount onto either the front or back of my AS so that I can install a pipe when I need to have wifi. The rest of the time I'll remove and stow away the pipe. Oh, and lastly if you wanted to re-xmit the wifi *inside* your trailer you can get something like: Invictus Wireless - Wireless Solutions for 802.11x, WiFi, Antennas, etc. to do that. But check your channels! You do not want to receive and xmit on the same channel.

For those that are not too network savy check this.. Looks like someone put some time into explaining it in detail on how to configure the devices. Once you have it down it goes pretty quick each time to need to change it. It's the exact same software in each of the 3 devices. But each has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you get a pico2 to setup for wifi in your trailer you can put it into bridge mode and probably not need to change the settings on that from location to location unless you have a channel conflict problem. Anyways.. Just my 2 cents. It's what I do for a living..

Chris Petrell aka Taz
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
If you have a smart phone such as a BlackBerry or Android, you can get a tethering program for between $15 and $30 (one time fee) and tether your phone's internet connection for 3G speeds. I use pdanets program for my Android and Tether for my BB. Go to or and you can try either free for a short period. You can also bluetooth the connection which allows you to put the phone in a spot that gives you a decent connection. You can't live stream movies with 3G but it is decent for most surfing.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
I just signed up for tethering and watched a movie on Netflix !!! $10 a month that's the cheapest Internet access I have ever heard of!
Jklep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #24
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
We use our notebook to stay in touch while we're on the road, too. (The notebook can do simple, routine tasks like email, web browsing, word processing, and spreadsheets, but doesn't have the umph to do photoshop or other heavier tasks or much multitasking at all.)

Access can be a bit fun, though. Some parks have decent wifi while others are just plain pitiful. In a pinch, we've used public libraries and a few restaurants. I haven't noticed a large number of problems due to the Airstream per se, though I often sit near the windows anyway.

Happy computing!

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Capt W
2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I use my Blackberry tethered to a Cradlepoint wipipe device. It makes a mini WIFI hotspot so that my wife can use her iPad at the same time I use my laptop. Works great and easy to set up. (We use Verizon for 3G internet connectivity through the Blackberry).

wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote