Old 04-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Happy Campers
Using frig while in transit

My wife and I are newbies (just bought a new 28' CCD), and we were wondering how you all keep your frozen items frozen while traveling. Our Dometic frig is a 2-way (AC and Gas) so while on the road, we could use the gas but some people say that it is either a bad idea to travel with the gas on or it is against the law - so I guess that option is out. I don't think the AC option will work either. So if you guys are traveling 7-8 hours per day to get to your destination, how do you keep your items in the freezer frozen?

B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Fridge in transit

When we are on the highway, we use our dometic on gas. We have been doing it for years. We are always careful when getting our fuel. We tried forever to keep our food refrigerated without using the gas but it just wouldn't be cold for any length of time.

Lee & Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287

Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
On long hauls we use the gas on. Everything stays cold enough for a 3 hour tour
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
We keep the gas on. When fueling, if the trailer is close to the pumps I'll switch it off. Also, when your hot water heater is on you might want to keep the window closed that is right above the water heater vent. I doubt you'd get any carbon monoxide pulled into the trailer but you could get some moist warmer air coming in.
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by Lee Pace
When we are on the highway, we use our dometic on gas. We have been doing it for years. We are always careful when getting our fuel. We tried forever to keep our food refrigerated without using the gas but it just wouldn't be cold for any length of time. on gas while in transit all the time....being careful when's what it's designed to do.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
We find that if the freezer is reasonably full, even ice cream will stay frozen without running on gas when traveling for 8 hours, which is about all I want to drive at one time. This is in a 2002 unit with the refrigerator in new condition. As the door seals age, this may not be true. Of course, if you don't have much food in the freezer, it will warm up in less time.
Opening the door along the way will let the cold leak out.
We put frozen bottles of water in the refrigerator to help keep it cold, even if we open it for a soda along the way.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Confused & Wandering
1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I turn off the gas bottles, as per DOT requirements, when travelling and food stays frozen for all the trips we have made, so far.. longest was 9 hours.

We freeze a few of the blue plastic things, the day before, and have some in the fridge and some in the freezer. No problems so far.

'05 Cargo hauler gooseneck, carrying an '05 Jeep TJ, all hauled by an '05 C4500 Kodiak Truck
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master
We stock and turn the refrigerator on using ac 24 hours before we leave. Then we switch to propane. One problem is that the flame will be go out sometimes while towing. We put a wild baffle in front of the burner which helps but strong cross winds still blows it out once in a while. Still we have never lost supplies because of a warm refer. We do turn it off while fueling. We tried using the inverter while towing but between the inverter draw and the refer heating element draw the battery voltage will drop in the 10 volt range and the inverter shuts down. So driving using an inverter for the 120 volt ac is out.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
AIR #6370
2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Post Refrigerator Efficiency

You might be doing this already. However, the double D-cell refrigerator fans really do help to circulate the cooler air in the refrigerator. These fans typically costs between $15 to $17. I've seen two different types at Wallyworld. The good alkaline batteries will last 4-6 weeks.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
I solved the problem when I had to replace my fridge last year.
I don't drive with the LP on and I do not use the AC with an inverter.
I have a three-way fridge. I put it on 12V and go. When I stop for any amount if time I will shut it off so it doesn't wear down the battery in the trailer or the two vehicle.
I usually do not stop for anything more than gas.
My three-way fridge was $400 for the Minuet.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas
Originally Posted by Theo
I turn off the gas bottles, as per DOT requirements, when travelling ...
I went to the Fed DOT site and tried to find the regulation you mention here and could not locate it. I travel with the fridge on gas except in our previous trailer that had 3-way operation (ac, dc, & gas. During transport precaution is a must while fueling & in 'posted' tunnels, but I would like to know if there is a specific requirement or is this 'word-of-mouth'.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There are some tunnels & bridges that have signs stating “no propane”. I take that to mean turn the propane off in the tunnel.
One that comes to mind is I-10, Mobile, AL & I know there are others but can’t remember.
I travel with the propane “on” and turn off at gas stations.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Using frig while in transit

Having Murphy of Murphy's Law fame as a constant traveling companion, convinced me more than two decades ago that it wasn't worth the risk to travel with the refirgerator running on LP -- Turning off the LP valves is on my pre-departure checklist of things that must be done (all of my previous Brand X coaches had 3-way Dometic Refrigerators and I never had any problems with any of them).

Just in the last ten years with the Overlander, I have towed through two accident areas where in excess of 100 gallons of gasoline had been spilled by ruptured fuel tanks on vehicles involved in the crash <the fire department had performed cleanup on the spill, but the smell of gasoline was very heavy in the air> (I was glad that I didn't have to get out of the tow vehicle to turn off the LP); and probably much more dangerous than that, I have had multiple (four at last count) experiences with fuel delivery hoses rupturing while refilling the tank on my Suburban -- the scariest was filling at the auto pumps of a truck stop that didn't have a clearly marked emergency cut-off for the pumps -- the fuel delivery hose ruptured spilling in excess of 100 gallons before the attendant could get the pump turned off (again, my LP tank valves were in the off position so I didn't have to worry about appliances).

A previous owner of my Overlander had removed the Dometic RV refrigerator replaced it with a 120-Volt AC refrigerator -- it was replaced with my favorite Dometic 3-Way refrigerator/freezer and it has performed flawlessly for the past five seasons (it has probably been run on LP less than 5 hours as I either us the 12-Volt DC or 120 Volt AC settings).

My Minuet still has the original Dometic 2-way refrigerator and turning it off prior to departure is on my list of "must do" chores. Prior to departure from home, I thoroughly cool the unit on the 120-Volt AC setting and always try to keep the refrigerator and freezer compartments filled to at least 75% of capacity. I try to never place any foods in the refrigerator that haven't been pre-chilled less than six hours before departure from home or campground. The thermostat is set to keep the refrigerator just very slightly above freezing, and even after five to six hours on the road in the Southern Midwest during the summer the temperature is still in the safe range on a refrigerator thermometer. I would still like to have a 3-way model -- and will when the original in my Minuet fails.

I know that there are many who have towed for years with refrigerators in operation, my experience has been that it is not worth the risk (IMHO). The original owners of my Overlander who were friends' of my family never towed with the refrigerator in operation (they had experiences with LP and natural gas paralleling mine) -- one of the last steps in their pre-departure routine was to turn off the LP gas valves so I know that its refrigerator was always turned off for travel from 1964 - 1980 (when they retired from traveling); and again from when I purchased the coach in 1995 until the present.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
We always run the 3-way on 12v when travelling. Works just fine. I will pre-cool everything in the fridge on 120 a day before leaving if possible. LP only comes on if we are somewhere for the night without power.

It just isn't worth the risk to run LP while travelling.

Do the newer coaches only come with 2 way fridges now?

1975 Safari 23'
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote