Old 07-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #57

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
Do you think the crash scene would be improved or worsened if the propane bottles in the trailer remains had the valves opened and the refer lit? Could the gas lines possibly be severed as well?

Let's Roll !
Wolf

Well, we really don't know. You make the assumption that the vehicle in the picture was running with the refrigerator off.

On the other hand this vehicle may have had the fridge on and what you see is the result of the POL valves that all newer LP tanks have. If a sudden quick triggering of gas flow occurs, such as a severed line, the tank valve instantly closes.

The picture may show that the new tank valves truly minimize the risk.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #58
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Diesel fumes are not as hazardous as gasoline fumes. So those with diesel tow vehicles at the truck lanes or diesel only pump islands have little to worry about. Gas is different, and when I gas up, I try to take the first pump on the island, so the Airstream and the fridge, are out in the open. Days with light winds also help disperse the gas fumes, and reduce the hazard. Refueling when not towing is the best solution, but not always practical.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Power required to run reefer?

If one were to wire up a connection from the TV to the refrigerator, and I am not suggesting any particular hook up, but using an inverter, how much electrical power is required to keep one of the dual source units, found on a late model AS, cool while in transit?
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
When I bought the AS a couple of years ago, I was a complete neophyte to RVing. They told me as part of the orientation that most people traveled with the propane on and the refrigerator running. So that is what I have been doing ever since....... And I have never heard of one exploding (not to say that it has never happened). Considering the panic that ensues when a few cars crash due to some mechanical defect or other, I would think that we would hear about it if people were being blown up in service stations because they left their refrigerators running. Still, I will try to remember to turn my propane off in the future before I diesel up, because it does seem like a good idea.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I will stick my neck out here and say that it "has never happened". There, feel free to pile on. If no one can produce a historical piece of evidence to the contrary then I will stick to my position. If this has EVER happened, why would both the manufacturers of the trailer and the refrigerator suggest that you run with the propane on? The liability here would be so great that they would never say it.

Turn off the propane when you fuel up if it makes you feel safer. I am OK with all of that but I still think keeping the food cold without having to pack everything in ice is simple common sense.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #61

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I will stick my neck out here and say that it "has never happened". There, feel free to pile on. If no one can produce a historical piece of evidence to the contrary then I will stick to my position. If this has EVER happened, why would both the manufacturers of the trailer and the refrigerator suggest that you run with the propane on? .

I agree. If this was as hazardous as some think, the Feds would have probably required some type of lock out apparatus a long time ago. Probably the new style POL valves have addressed the major concern relative to structural failure of the propane system. I will continue to shut the fridge down while fueling since that gives me some comfort.

Keep in mind there are plenty of situations which occur with the tow vehicle that also have a fire risk. How many vehicles catch on fire in accidents due the integrity of the fuel tank being compromised? How many times have you seen a vehicle on fire due to a fuel delivery component that is under the hood? I dare to say that the major risk with propane systems in RV's are from slow leaks in confined areas.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I know of only two places that do not allow propane on. One is the Chesepeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the others are tunnels thru Baltimore Md. At one time they did not allow propane tanks period but not sure today so if you r going through Baltimore check first
Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #63

Fenton , Missouri
I'm thinking the the tunnel in Mobile Ala. may also require you to have the propane off.
AIR #56
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Au Train , Michigan
We're newbies; just picked up our 2015 International last month. So, I questioned the 2-way refrigerator, too. Previously, our Coachman had a 3-way refrigerator... while traveling, we ran 12VDC. And were extremely vigilant about shutting it "off" when stopping to eat while traveling. Or if we stopped to visit somewhere along the way. The refrigerator set to run on 12VDC can kill a battery in seemingly, no time at all.

So when I picked up the new AS last month, I questioned the safety of traveling down the road, fuel stops, etc. The salesperson informed me (perhaps it's old-hat or simply new tech, I don't know), the LP "locks out" for 15 minutes when the tow vehicle ignition is turned off. The Dometic designed the 2-way fridge this way, as stated, for the sake of fuel stops.

That said, the refrigerator panel is more than 20 ft away from the fuel nozzle when I put fuel in our new F150.

I'm asking, is this a new feature or did I misunderstand the salesperson / staff during the walk around. Thanks

Robert
Old 07-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #65

Fenton , Missouri
Using frig while in transit

I'm not sure of your model but I just checked out the manual for Dometics Americana series of refrigerators. The operation manual has no description of that type of feature. To me that would sound like a feature more indicative of a refrigerator installed in a motorized RV. Check your manual. If you don't see that feature being described in there, your salesman was probably giving you bogus information.

Update. I just checked out the "8" series of Dometic refrigerators and they do operate as your salesman says. They are 3 way units with a single door and look to be made for non towables. The manual talks about the delay in switching to gas when it detects the vehicles ignition key being turned off. A clear indication that the unit with the AES mode on chooses 12 volt when the vehicles motor is running.

So the salesman is right, but not correct for your trailer's model.

Jack

AIR #56