Old 04-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
newer coaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
We always run the 3-way on 12v when travelling. Works just fine. I will pre-cool everything in the fridge on 120 a day before leaving if possible. LP only comes on if we are somewhere for the night without power.

It just isn't worth the risk to run LP while travelling.

Do the newer coaches only come with 2 way fridges now?
My 2005 only has a two way fridge. Our SOB had a three way and we ran it on 12volt. Have run the fridge on gas now and hasn't blown out the pilot. I turn off for gas pumps. The Airstream manual says to do that so I assume it is not a wrong choice.

As to risk, I started thinking, don't I have two "hydrogen" bombs under the couch anyway? (aka batteries)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
B&J
Happy Campers

Thanks everyone!

After reading a few threads from those who have a 3-way frig, I wish I had one. However that wasn't an option for the 2005 28' CCD. I guess the best we can do is fire up the gas with our 2-way and practice good safety by turning off the frig when we gas up at the pump. Again....thanks for the good advice. This forum is great.

B&J

B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
First, have a plan that includes thinking in advance where you might need to re-fuel. We leave fridge on if: 1) the gas station we pull into is not crowded with other vehicles, and 2) this is important: that the fill side of the tow vehicle is oposite of the side your fridge is on. This will minimise a conflict between flame and gas.

Given that, to error on the safe side, if you anticipate needing fuel, pull off the road a few miles before service station and shut down propane fridge.

Get your gas, drive a away, restart fridge.

What is the safest way? Probablly the last three of my sentences.

If your marriage is on the rocks, then make sure you pull into a highly crowded gas station, fridge on same side as gas filler, light a giant exploding cigar, and hope to see relatives you haven't seen in a long time in your after life....

Another thing we do: our trailer is 32 miles from our house. so we transport perishables in those foil insulated bags, you can get from target, walmart, etc. In our freezer at home, we have three Coleman Brite Ice thingies that we put in those freezer bags to keep our crap cool till we get to the AS. Once at the AS, we turn on the gas for the fridge. It takes a good few hours for the fridge and freezer to cool down, so this is where we put those coleman brite Ice things in to sort of give the cooler a head start.

Most importantly, do what feels comfortable to you. Lots of great advice here.

Love and kisses.

Jonathan
Old 04-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I have not found the DOT reg online, but it is here, in my DOT handbook... No propane appliance to be operated when the vehicle is in motion... including but not limited to Recreational Vehicles.

The handbook is as issued to DOT inspectors in Colorado and Wyoming, dated 2001
Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

We never travel with our refrigerator on. Why take a chance?

When we get to our destination we start it up. All of our food stays cold and freezer keeps ice cream frozen while it is off and doors closed.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 AM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i run my fridge all the time when travelling, i suppose if i wanted to get fancy about the issue i could wire up the unused interupt circuit. most modern dometics have it built in.

the circuit is supposed to shut the fridge down for 30 min when the ignition circuit is turned off. must be for motorhome applications.

i just find it easier to shut it off manually before refueling.

obviously, the presence of this circuit means that the manufacturer planned on the fridge being used in motion! why else have it there?

to each his own on this subject, just do what you are comfortable and insured for!!

john
Old 04-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One side note to the converstaion is that our 2004 came with an electronic ignition type system. Though it is only a 2 way, (A/C, LP) It starts the flame automatically when a call for cool is needed. Once it reaches the desired temp, it automatically shuts down all flame until a call for cool is requested again. This combined with the propane tank saftey systems built into every LP tank, I'm more than satisfied with overall saftey of operation when in use. The only time I shut it down is when fueling other than when it's being stored or we get to a site with electric hookup. Then again, if I connect to electric hookup and the fridge is turned on, it also automatically switches from LP to electric, with the ability to maually set it if for some reason I wanted to stay on LP, say if it's really hot out....the LP seems to have more BTUs and the ability to keep the fridge more cold, though the electric side still does a good job........

Our 2003 Bambi had a smaller fridge and was more representitive of the type of fridges out there, it would run all the time if left on at a constant burn and was manual everything.

I too looked for the rules from DOT for propane and could not find such a rule. Not that I am saying is not on the books, I just couldn't find it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Our 2005 Bambi has the "auto" setting on the fridge also that automatically switches between electric and propane. I'm sure we'll also use the fridge in the auto setting with the propane tanks turned on. Our previous trailers all had a 3-way. Seemed like a great idea ... I wonder why the three way seems to be on it's way out.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStream
... I wonder why the three way seems to be on it's way out.
This is just a guess, but I am sure that electric elements that run on DC draw a fair amount of juice.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Also glad to see that the Bambi fridge gets the automatic system as well. When I first saw this on the Safari, I was a bit worried (as it's another thing that can go wrong). We've been on about 3000 miles of road, some far, far less than good and that fridge is rock solid. Never had the dreaded blow out issus...and if I did, I think the unit restarted itself. Dometic has always made a great fridge and these units are right up there too!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #25
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Wait a minute....

Are you guys saying that when I pull into camp for the night and I have the fridge mode to "LP" I can plug the AS to AC power and not have to switch the fridge over to "AC"?

This would be convenient, because as some of you might be aware getting the pilot light going can take more than a few pushes on the ignitor, especially when turning on the propane after a period of storage time. I ussually run the stove and furnace for a few seconds to get try and purge gas lines a bit.

So basically the pilot stays on for gas operation, but running on AC??? Obviously not both simultaniously.

BTW I have the model #RM 2452 or 2453 according to my instruction manual.

Jonathan
Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Wait a minute....

Are you guys saying that when I pull into camp for the night and I have the fridge mode to "LP" I can plug the AS to AC power and not have to switch the fridge over to "AC"?
Jonathan
If your refrigerator has an "auto" button it will change over to LP or electric dependent upon the appearance of electric. My '01 Safari was manual and I had to make the change myself.

I've posted this fact before, that while I travel with gas on and turn off prior to refueling, I do not trust others and will avoid stopping when I see another RV at the pumps. I trust nobody but myself.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #27
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm Pro-Choice ...

You folks are free to do what you want. After attending a safety seminar at the Spring Escapade (Escapees) last year ... we were convinced to turn off the LP at the tanks when under way. The Reps from Dometic and the insurance companies were in complete agreement on this matter.

With the propane turned on ... if you forget to switch off the water heater ... you present the opportunity to have another monster sized flame going off ... possibly at the wrong time.

We have never had a problem with food going bad ... when we get to our destination the food is always cold (we have a thermometer) and the freezer is always .. well ... frozen.

With the price of propane on the increase ... I can't see any reason to burn up my nickels and dimes while travelling. Sort of like wearing a belt with suspenders.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Jack.

Thanks for that info. My Dometic has "Off" "AC" and "LP" settings only. So maybe this is on the larger metal zepplin units like yours and Twinkies.

Also let it be know that I draw the line at running the fridge on propane, but NOT the water heater.

There is a massive amount of flame, and output of heat when that thing is fired up! I don't think I would be showering or doing dishes as I drive anyway.

That's just asking for trouble...

Jonathan