Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Using AS as ski lodge?

We're thinking about taking our '85 325 Motorhome to Lake Tahoe for two or three months to do some serious skiing. Last winter we toured an RV park at Zephyr Cove in Tahoe and there were a dozen or so trailers and motorhomes in residence (although no AS) so we know that some hardy souls have pulled off this stunt.

What are the issues with wintertime in an AS? How do we efficiently keep warm? How do the systems (water tank and supply system, black water, grey water, etc.) fare? Help!!!

Jim
Bronze Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I always like to refer to this thread when I get the urge to do any serious winter camping

Good luck if you decide to try it ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This thread came up a couple weeks ago. Yes, Shari's 'Rubyslipper' thread came up -- as it should every time such questions are raised.

Other winter living threads strongly considered condensation inside the trailer. You might want to search the forums on that word!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
wasn't that idea the basis for that horrible made for tv movie with ted danson and mary whatever her name was? i think it was on last winter. yuk!

i think they ate the seat cushions to survive!

in all seriousness, i think you can do it if you plan properly. i just winterized my excella today, but plan on using it during deer hunting season at the end of november.

i have stayed in it during temps down to the lower teens...buy lotsa propane in advance!

john
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze Dancer
Last winter we toured an RV park at Zephyr Cove in Tahoe and there were a dozen or so trailers and motorhomes in residence (although no AS) so we know that some hardy souls have pulled off this stunt.
jim-

i've thought about the same possiblity. i'd love to be close to tahoe for weekday skiing. but i'm wondering if it might be better to avoid the harsh conditions at south lake tahoe or truckee. i wonder if there are any places to winter between sacramento and the lake, like kyburz or colfax. it would be a short commute to the "office" without the temps that plunge when the sun goes down at 5pm.

emanon
emanon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I must be getting old, but when I think of winter camping I think of Florida, Texas, & Arizona! I don't believe their slopes are as well groomed as those further north .
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I always like to refer to this thread when I get the urge to do any serious winter camping

Good luck if you decide to try it ~

Shari
Thanks to you and Canoe Stream for the great links and John HD for his comments on propane in both this thread and the earlier ones too.

What I've learned:
1. It appears that if we have a spot with electicity we'll be OK with electric oil or ceramic type heaters and that the electic heaters maybe all we need to stay warm.

2. Insulate the water supply and consider electic heat tape.

3. A large, additional propane tank is a good plan (although this may be more a backup plan if you have an electric hookup).

4. There are three approaches to keeping the black and grey water tanks from freezing. One approach is a skirt (hay, styrofoam and quited material have been discussed) perhaps with a light bulb added for heat. A second approach is the addition of RV antifreeze to the black and grey tanks added directly (a quart or two) or indirectly via RV antifreeze added to the white water tank. The third approach is to add aftermarket electric tank, elbow and pipe heaters and I'm looking into this one combined with direct addition of RV antifreeze. The majority opinion is to empty the tanks only when full because an ongoing drain system risks valve and drain pipe freezing.

5. Add insulation where one can -- focus on windows.

6. Have a plan for ventilation to manage condensation.

7. Finally, Have a plan to flee to a hotel or motel if it gets too cold and/or power is lost. The plan must include a quick winterization of the plumbing system. I'm thinking that a combination of the air tank for the tag axle of our 325 AS MH and a blowout adapter might work.

Thank you all for your input.
Jim
Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Kyburz or Colfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon25
jim-

i've thought about the same possiblity. i'd love to be close to tahoe for weekday skiing. but i'm wondering if it might be better to avoid the harsh conditions at south lake tahoe or truckee. i wonder if there are any places to winter between sacramento and the lake, like kyburz or colfax. it would be a short commute to the "office" without the temps that plunge when the sun goes down at 5pm.

emanon

Our thinking is that avoiding Hwy 50 at night after a day of skiing is a good idea and having the services of South Shore would be a plus. Our concern is that last winter looked like an easy one by the winter before brought a lot of show. We've talked to the Zephyr Cove operator about this issue and learned that they have always been able to keep the campground open.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Talking Vertical Drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
I must be getting old, but when I think of winter camping I think of Florida, Texas, & Arizona! I don't believe their slopes are as well groomed as those further north .
The slopes may be as well groomed and although I'm not very familiar with Arizona, my experience with Florida and Texas is that the verical drop on the ski slopes is such that one needs a chair lift to get down the slope as well as up it.