Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
USFS Campgrounds in Four Corners Area

Did the annual field trip to campgrounds in the San Juan National Forest to get first hand knowledge so that we can better describe the facilities when people call or drop by the visitor center in Durango.

House Creek is at the east end of McPhee Reservoir and not easy to get to. Great if you want to do some fishing. No shade as the elk eat the trees as fast as they're planted! Lots of sites with water/electric.

Mavreeso and West Delores are on County Road 38 that cuts off highway 145 and is better know as the Fork of the West Delores. More than a few pull thru's and more electrical/water sites. Both of these camps are on the west fork of the Delores River.

Cayton is on 145 north of Rico and will open June 15th (maybe) and has been closed for a year to make a lot of upgrades. water/electrical hook ups are new. Lots of spots on the Delores River.

Have to put a plug in for the Colorado state park system. we visited Jackson Lake north of Mancos and it was nice, but better suited for smaller rigs.

Prices remain at $14.00 a night plus $5.00 for electric in USFS parks. Half that for Golden age passes.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the info Dennis. May just have to get up that way one day and get in some fishing. Now I know where to stay. I here the Delores has some fine trout fishing.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Denis4x4,
Thanks for the info. Could you clarify about your visit to Jackson Lake. You said it was better suited for smaller rigs. What size trailer and TV did you use there? What were the factors, tight corners, trees close to road, short parking spaces? I'm interested as I might be heading that way before long. I have a small trailer but a long TV.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We come that way every fall and stay at Sand Island BLM C.G. in Bluff, Utah. It's on the Cottonwood river at the junction of 191 & 163. Cool petroglyphs, too.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Howdy Folks:

If you are gonna head out to the 4-corners area, consider Pagosa Springs, CO. Not that far from 4-corners. The hot springs spa at Pagosa is excellent. And here's the deal: Instead of staying in the hotel for $200\night, to get to use the hot springs, instead buy a 7-day pass for 2 people full-use of the hot springs for only $109.00. Heck of a deal, I think.

It's really nice up there.

My 2 cents.

page crow
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote