Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
US rt 54

How is the drive on US 54 going from Witchita to Tucumcari ? Looks like a good portion of it is pretty desolate the farther west you go. Road conditions , gas ,restaurants, interesting sights along the way ?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Capulin Volcano is just South of the Santa Fe Trail...North of the Santa Fe cut off Trail. It is very unique and worth the trip to the top. A nice clean RV park right there in the hi way to Raton. It is a barren country but fun if you read up on the history.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just drove that route last fall. US-54 is a good, two-lane road with a few wide spots. Some sections were recently resurfaced and are in excellent condition. Be prepared to slow down going through small towns, and watch for speed traps in the Oklahoma panhandle.

Small towns have interesting, small, mom-and-pop cafes. This is rural farm and ranch country, so most places open early for breakfast, but also close early; and most towns are too small to have McDonalds or other national-chain, fast food places. There's not much in the way of tourist attractions on this stretch either; although there is a turn-off to Dodge City, if you're interested in old-west history.

There are some short isolated stretches, but it's not like the desert southwest where it can be an hour or two between gas stations. Liberal, KS and Dalhart, TX are good places to refuel and stretch your legs. We ate at a little greasy spoon in Dalhart, and the burgers and sandwiches were good. Sorry, don't remember the name; but it looked like at one time it was a Dairy Queen or similar.

If you're headed toward Albuquerque but can't make it before dark, we stayed at the RV campground below. It wasn't special, but it's OK, safe, and easily accessible. It's on motel row in Santa Rosa, so there's fuel and restaurants in the immediate area. We ate at the restaurant at the entrance to the campground, which has free delivery; but if you want more than a burger, I'd try elsewhere.

==========

Santa Rosa Campground & RV Park (former KOA)
2136 Historic Route 66, Santa Rosa, NM 88435
Phone: 575-472-3126 | Toll Free: 888-898-1999
E-mail: santarosacampground@gmail.com

Average reviews; most say good for overnight = $33

Web site: http://santarosacampground.com/index.html
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Sounds good

Sounds like my kind of road . I'll be heading to the Vintage Trailer Academy and thought I would go little different route than I did last year when I did Rt 66. However , Rt 66 is a trip I really enjoy so I'll take it back home.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I always use the La Quinta in Santa Rosa.....on trips where I really need a clean up and rest break. Right on the route to Amarillo or ABQ...Discounts available.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We have made the drive a few times over the past couple of years. It's a nice ride with small towns along the way. You can see the grain mill of the next town as you travel along this route. There is a RV park just north of Liberal, KS that we have stayed in a couple of times.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Dumas TX which is north of Amarillo just off of 54 offers a city park with free hookups. Free electric, water and dump station. I just checked, it is still on their website. I think 1 night limit.

Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote