Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
US 2 through Vt, NH and Me?

Was wandering what Rt 2 is like traveling from Burlington, Vt to Bangor, Me.? Services, sights, time, actually any info. Will be towing 31' during the end of June. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Depending on traffic, your stopping habits, etc. expect this 300 mile drive to be 6 to 8 hours of drive time + stops. End of June is often variable weather and can be anywhere from sunny, warm and muggy to wet and cold. Expect lots of mosquitoes near still water and the black flies should be tapering off if rainfall has been normal -- in either case, bug repellent is a mandatory carry along. June bugs should be just ending their kamikaze flights at dusk and dawn. This is the start of high tourist season, so campground reservations are strongly urged if you are going to poke along and view the scenery. Well worth your time, if the weather is clear, is to drop the trailer in a public lot in Gorham, NH, pop down RTE 16 to the Mt. Washington Auto Road and take your TV on an alpine excursion. US Route 2 itself is the typical 66' wide ROW two lane Federal highway ... good paving, bicycle/breakdown lane along recently modified sections, adequate signage and plenty of filling stations, convenience stores and places to eat along the way. An easy haul with a trailer in tow, with just enough hills, curves and logging trucks to keep a driver on his or her toes.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
It's a nice scenic trip. Don't forget to visit our State House in Montpelier. It's right on Route 2. Can't miss that beautiful gold dome.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Route 2 through VT

Many, many things to do as you travel along Route 2 in Vermont.

Start by camping at North Beach in Burlington, close enough to this great little city that you can bike to a really vibrant downtown for shopping, dinner or entertainment.

If you must, there is the Ben and Jerry's factory on Route 100 just north of Route 2 in Waterbury Center. Personally, I'd just stop anywhere and buy their ice cream to eat as I traveled along.

As Mistermike said, don't miss the smallest state capital city in the country. Just walk right in under the golden dome, the doors are usually wide open.

Take a short side trip to Barre, VT for a tour of the Rock of Ages Granite Quarry and a walk around the Hope Cemetery.

Do not miss Rainbow Sweets in Marshfield, Route 2 northeast of Montpelier. Run and hosted by an acerbic New York transplant, you will never be disappointed with his offerings for lunch, dinner and certainly not for dessert.

Another slight detour up Hwy 215 from Marshfield will bring you to the Cabot Cheese factory in Cabot, VT. Current price for a tour is $2 and children under 12 are free and they give sample too!

For a truly unique and nostalgic experience, visit The Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium in St. Johnsbury as you near the New Hampshire border.

And all along your way you'll enjoy the burst of flowers and green that spring brings to the north country.

(Oh yes, I think I'd estimate a bit more than 8 hours from Burlington to Bangor.)
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Route 2 NH, VT, ME

Pulled 25' over that road on the way from Nova Scotia trip about four years back as far as Rt 91 on Vt/NH border. Beautiful ride and well suited for trailer as it is the actual pass through the White Mountains in Gorham, NH. Recall no towing issues at all.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Thanks

Thank you for the responses. All had great info and tips. Looking forward to the ride and with ya'lls info the travel will be more interesting.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote