Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Us 199

What is the road condition (curvy, narrow, etc) on US 199 from I-5 to Crescent City CA?
Also I'm looking for a campground (overnight) near Vancouver, WA.

Thanks

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Highway 199 is two lane and does curve a lot going over the coast range. I've driven it towing my trailer - I'd say it was no problem. Sorry, I don't know a campground around Vancouver. If you can, try to avoid I-5 between Portland and Vancouver 6-9 AM and 3-6+ PM - it gets very congested and slow.
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
As suggestion for overnight near Vancouver, WA is Jantzen Beach RV Park ((503) 289-7626). It's right off the I-5 Columbia River bridge as you go from Vancouver to Portland. Easy on and off the freeway. They have been very full lately so a call ahead is a good idea.

Cruising the highways and byways with Silver Fern when not on the water.
LandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We have driven 199 to Interstate 5 many times. It is a good road and a few places along a portion of the road from Crescent City through Patrick Creek (maybe beyond) some of the winding road is a little tight... but with a 20 ft. trailer you should have no problem. It is not, however, a fast road because it is curvy on a good deal of the way. The road is a good one, however, with good pavement. Along 199 you will pass by the turn to Oregon Caves.... worth a stop! You will have to likely unhook your trailer for the last mile or so, but you could call ahead and see if there is enough parking for your trailer and rig for the visit. (No camping there, but a sweet old lodge).

Instead of going along 199 you could travel up the Oregon Coast to Reedsport (it would take an extra day probably) as there are some wonderful sites and campgrounds along the way. Oregon State Campgrounds are generally very nice! From Reedsport you can travel along Hwy 38 to the burg of Drain and then on to Interstate 5. Cottage Grove just north of the area from Hwy 38 has a couple of nice campgrounds. If you head up to Salem I would take an extra day or two and drive east to Silver Falls State Park in Oregon. Fabulous place. But otherwise head north and south of Portland is Champoeg State Park another nice place to stay (a bit off the road, but nice!).

Have fun on your journey and post a few photos! we love photos!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote