Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
US-129, The Dragon

Weird things you stumble across when traveling.

I’m spending a couple of weeks in Asheville, North Carolina for some professional training. We don’t have classes over the weekend, so I rented a car and did some exploring. I went to the Nantahala National Forest and walked a bit on the Appalachian Trail. Then I started following some of the old TVA projects. Being a hydrologist, I find these projects fascinating, and I can’t help but chase hydrologic messes. I started up US-129 because it looked like a good way to make a big loop and head back to Asheville.
I noticed a couple of dragon statues at some motels at the base of the hill, but odd things at motels are not uncommon, so I didn’t think much about it. As I drove up the hill I noticed it was quite windey, and I made a mental note that this would not be a good road to drag the Airstream over. As I further ascended the hill, I kept passing people on the side of the road taking my picture. Now that was weird. Nobody except my mother has ever wanted to take my picture, I’m not that purty. So finally I stopped at one of these photographers and asked “why are y’all taking my picture”. He was a good-ol-boy, and looked at me like I was an idiot, and said “cuz your on the the dragon”. I respond with a resounding “huh”? He starts to explain to me that this was the most famous road in the U.S. They call it the “Tail of the Dragon”, and people come from all over the world to drive it. He said that sometimes they get a thousand Corvettes a day, and I was fortunate that it was a slow day. So I continued on my way, and later that night I found my picture on the internet. That’s rather embarrassing to have my picture on the internet in a POS rental Hyundai.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I rode my Harley Sportster on the 129. What a kick! Wouldn't want to tow the 27FB over it!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...g?v=1453325957
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
What you failed to convey; this is NOT a road for RVs! Trailers over 30' are banned by law.

The twisty "Tail of the Dragon" is 318 turns in 11 miles and known for the innumerable wrecks by drivers testing their amateur skills at professional only speeds (illegal of course).

www.tailofthedragon.com

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Dragon Master

I have Traversed the Dragon dozens of times on my BMW K1200LT and in my Mazda Miata. Fantastic drive. Better than all of the great rides I did in Bavaria, W. Germany, Austria, and Italy while in the U.S. Army. Glad I now live just 2 hours away. U.S. 129 "The Tail of the Dragon". Fantastic!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Tailing the Dragon was fun in my C6.
Not so much for an Airstream...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post

So I continued on my way, and later that night I found my picture on the internet. That’s rather embarrassing to have my picture on the internet in a POS rental Hyundai.
So you don't post the link? :-(
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
So you don't post the link? :-(
Hiding in my anonymty.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The dragon shall not be meddled with.... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
A motorcyclists heaven and dream road.

9x on that road, 2x at night.

If you ride a motorcycle it is WORTH the trip to go and ride it.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have ridden the Dragon many times on my GoldWings. There was a chap on a Gold Wing that did an Iron Butt just on that road (1,000 miles in less then 24 hours). His videos would astonish a casual rider as the pegs are nearly worn off in short order.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
I drove the Dragon last year in my Vette. Very disappointed. I heard so much about it but there is way too much traffic on it to really appreciate it. Caught up with a looky loo and he never pulled over.

There are much better roads out west with no one on them to get in the way.

But I'm sure its the best in the east.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

I’m spending a couple of weeks in Asheville, North Carolina for some professional training. We don’t have classes over the weekend, so I rented a car and did some exploring. I went to the Nantahala National Forest and walked a bit on the Appalachian Trail. Then I started following some of the old TVA projects. Being a hydrologist, I find these projects fascinating, and I can’t help but chase hydrologic messes. I started up US-129 because it looked like a good way to make a big loop and head back to Asheville.
I noticed a couple of dragon statues at some motels at the base of the hill, but odd things at motels are not uncommon, so I didn’t think much about it. As I drove up the hill I noticed it was quite windey, and I made a mental note that this would not be a good road to drag the Airstream over. As I further ascended the hill, I kept passing people on the side of the road taking my picture. Now that was weird. Nobody except my mother has ever wanted to take my picture, I’m not that purty. So finally I stopped at one of these photographers and asked “why are y’all taking my picture”. He was a good-ol-boy, and looked at me like I was an idiot, and said “cuz your on the the dragon”. I respond with a resounding “huh”? He starts to explain to me that this was the most famous road in the U.S. They call it the “Tail of the Dragon”, and people come from all over the world to drive it. He said that sometimes they get a thousand Corvettes a day, and I was fortunate that it was a slow day. So I continued on my way, and later that night I found my picture on the internet. That’s rather embarrassing to have my picture on the internet in a POS rental Hyundai.
Hi Brent!

We stumbled on the Tail of the Dragon years ago, Doug driving, and it was quite the initial experience.

Our avatar picture was purchased online from one of those photographers.

I then drove it myself, by accident, a couple of years ago.

Lots of motorcycles on there, sounding like a swarm of angry bees.

Not for the faint of heart and not for trailers.

Safe travels, and hope Connie is doing well.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
The dragon shall not be meddled with.... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Hey! That's my line!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #15
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
A motorcyclists heaven and dream road.

9x on that road, 2x at night.

If you ride a motorcycle it is WORTH the trip to go and ride it.
I've ridden it many times on motorcycles. The last time I was there, we stayed at Ironhorse hotel, on the North Carolina side. I got up really early to head back to St Louis, and had to ride it in pitch black darkness. No moon, etc. i didn't think it was nearly as fun! Lots of 1st gear.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
I drove the Dragon last year in my Vette. Very disappointed. I heard so much about it but there is way too much traffic on it to really appreciate it. Caught up with a looky loo and he never pulled over.

There are much better roads out west with no one on them to get in the way.

But I'm sure its the best in the east.
It not even the best in the area. It's always pretty crowded, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. There's a lot of better roads around there. I hope you got to drive a few of them.

There's lots of pictures of guys with trailers that tried to drive through there, and couldn't make a turn. They always end up closing the road in both directions while tow trucks try and get them out.
To the OP, did you stop at the dam on the TN side. I believe it's the dam that Harrison Ford "supposedly" jumped off in filming the fugitive.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Have driven the Dragon several time. First was in a 1998 Ford F-150 crew cab long bed. There were a couple times in a couple of the turns, that I had one wheel just hanging in the air. A number of years back the TN police decided to slow the motorcycles down by spreading sand in the corners. After a number of wrecks, they had to go back and clean up the mess. I have seen large groups of Corvettes, Miatas, and motorcycles making runs up and down it.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
They call it the “Tail of the Dragon”, and people come from all over the world to drive it.
It's famous for motorcycles. It's also very dangerous. There's 317 turns in 11 miles. Not only that but it goes up and down at the NC/TN border, and to make it worse, there's trees right up against the asphalt.
Don't do it on the weekends when Johnny has daddy's Mercedes out for a time trial. I did it on a Tuesday, didn't meet any oncoming trucks or RV's thankfully.
I did it on a Harley, and I think they timed me on a sundial.
We did it a few times and I probably won't go back. Crossed it off my bucket list.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
To the OP, did you stop at the dam on the TN side. I believe it's the dam that Harrison Ford "supposedly" jumped off in filming the fugitive.
Yes, I was there to chase the dams. I'm a hydro-geek. I've read about the the Tennessee Valley projects for many years, first in history classes, then in hydrology classes. That stuff fascinates me. The road was purely an accident that I picked by looking at a map.

Maggie, good to hear from you. Connie is doing very well. I wish she could have come out here with me. Touring this area without her seemed wrong. I really wanted to share it with her. However, she'd be super bored while I'm in class all week. Sometimes these classes are going from 8:00 AM to nearly midnight. I suspect that would make her grouchy.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
My garmin took us there going to Georgia mountain fairgrounds in my F150 super crew with our 28 footer in tow. Felt bad I was in the way but made it through. Needless to say we used a map and local knowledge on the northbound trip!
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote